“‘Shame, loneliness, depression’: George Pell’s victim releases statement” & related article

Share Button

Man who gave evidence at trial asks for privacy: ‘I want to protect my young family’

The Guardian     Australia

Media outside the Melbourne court

Media outside the county court in Melbourne, where Cardinal George Pell was found guilty of child sexual assault. His victim has released a statement. Photograph: David Crosling/AP

The man who was abused by Cardinal George Pell and gave evidence at his trial has released a statement, saying he has experienced “shame, loneliness, depression and struggle”, and pleading for anonymity.

A jury unanimously found Pell guilty on 11 December in Melbourne’s county court, but the result was subject to a suppression order and could not be reported until now.

After the order was lifted, the man’s lawyer, Viv Waller, released this statement from his client:

Thank you for your interest in this case.

Like many survivors I have experienced shame, loneliness, depression and struggle. Like many survivors it has taken me years to understand the impact on my life.

At some point we realise that we trusted someone we should have feared and we fear those genuine relationships that we should trust.

I would like to thank my family near and far for their support of me, and of each other.

I am a witness in a case brought by the State of Victoria. I have put my trust in the police and the criminal justice system.

The process has been stressful and it is not over yet.

I need space and time to cope with the ongoing criminal process.

I understand this is a big news story but please don’t reveal my identity.

I ask that the media respect my privacy. I don’t want to give any interviews. Please don’t come to my home. I want to protect my young family and my parents. I don’t want them swept into the spotlight.

I am not a spokesperson about child sexual abuse. There are many other survivors and advocates who bravely fill this role.

I am just a regular guy working to support and protect my family as best I can.

Thank you for your support and understanding.

___________________________________________

The Latest: Victim’s father to sue church over Pell abuse

The Toronto Star

Mon., Feb. 25, 2019

MELBOURNE, Australia – The Latest on the sex abuse case against Cardinal George Pell (all times local):

Cardinal George Pell, center, leaves the County Court in Melbourne, Australia, Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019. The most senior Catholic cleric ever charged with child sex abuse has been convicted of molesting two choirboys moments after celebrating Mass, dealing a new blow to the Catholic hierarchy's credibility after a year of global revelations of abuse and cover-up.
Cardinal George Pell, center, leaves the County Court in Melbourne, Australia, Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019. The most senior Catholic cleric ever charged with child sex abuse has been convicted of molesting two choirboys moments after celebrating Mass, dealing a new blow to the Catholic hierarchy’s credibility after a year of global revelations of abuse and cover-up.  (AAP Image via AP / David Crosling)

A law firm representing the father of a sex abuse victim who died of a heroin overdose says his son’s abuser, Cardinal George Pell, has “blood on his hands.”

Shine Lawyers attorney Lisa Flynn says the father, who like his son cannot be named because it is illegal under Australian law to identify a victim of sexual assault, is planning to sue the church or Pell individually once his appeal is finalized.

Flynn says the victim’s fatal overdose in 2014 at the age of 31 was linked to his post-traumatic stress disorder.

While the victim had never reported abuse to his family or police, a jury found in December he had been sexually abused by Pell in 1996 on the testimony of a friend whom Pell was also convicted of abusing.

___

1:40 p.m.

An Australian man who was sexually abused decades ago by Cardinal George Pell says he has experienced “shame, loneliness, depression and struggle.”

The man issued a statement after it was publicly revealed that Pell had been convicted in December of the assault. The court until Tuesday had forbidden publication of any details about the trial.

The man was one of two former choirboys that Pell was convicted of molesting moments after celebrating Mass in 1996 when Pell was archbishop. The boys were 13 at the time.

In his statement, the man said it had taken him years to understand the impact the assault had on his life. The man cannot be identified because it is illegal to name victims of sexual assault in Victoria state.

___

11:10 a.m.

The most senior Catholic cleric ever charged with child sex abuse has been convicted in Australia of molesting two choirboys moments after celebrating Mass.

Cardinal George Pell is Pope Francis’ top financial adviser and the Vatican’s economy minister. He bowed his head as a jury delivered unanimous verdicts in the Victoria state County Court on Dec. 11 after more than two days of deliberation.

The court had until Tuesday forbidden publication of any details about the trial.

The 77-year-old faces a potential maximum 50-year prison term after a sentencing hearing which begins on Wednesday. He has foreshadowed an appeal.

The jury convicted Pell of abusing two 13-year-old boys whom he had caught swigging sacramental wine in a rear room of Melbourne’s St. Patrick’s Cathedral in 1996 when he was archbishop.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *