The Sydney Morning Herald
Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson has pleaded not guilty to concealing child sex abuse in the Catholic church via his lawyer in Newcastle Local Court on Thursday.
Archbishop Wilson, who did not appear, was represented by barrister Simon Buchen, who said his client was pleading not guilty and he was anticipating a lengthy hearing.
He flagged with Magistrate Robert Stone there may be an application to “change the venue”.
One issue was the possible length of any hearing but Mr Buchen alluded to other issues which he did not specify.
“That’s not the only reason,” he said.
Mr Stone said he could make an application but if a magistrate could be made available at Newcastle, if that was where most witnesses were located, it may not be granted.
The prosecution asked for six weeks to prepare the brief of evidence to be served by June 3, reply on June 17, when Archbishop Wilson, who is not on bail, would again be excused from attending.
Archbishop Wilson is the most senior Catholic clergyman in the world to be charged with concealing a child sex abuse allegation against another priest.
He was charged on March 17 with one count of concealing a child sex allegation made against the late Hunter priest Jim Fletcher in the 1970s.
That came nearly nine months after the NSW Special Commission of Inquiry recommended the charge.
Police allege that the archbishop knew for two years – between April 2004 and July 2006 – that Fletcher had abused a 10-year-old boy but failed to notify police.
Outside the court, Mr Buchen said his client had pleaded not guilty and would be defending the charges, but refused to comment on why the archbishop did not come to court.
The archbishop is one of only a handful of Catholic clergymen in the world to be charged with concealing a child sex allegation against another priest, and only the third in Australia after the late Toronto priest Tom Brennan became the first to face such a charge in 2012.
Adelaide Archbishop pleads not guilty
The Age (Australia)
Date May 7, 2015 – 2:47PM
Adelaide’s Catholic Archbishop has pleaded not guilty to a charge of concealing child sexual abuse committed by a colleague.
Archbishop Philip Wilson was charged in March with one count of concealing information about a serious indictable offence, namely the 1971 sex assault of a 10-year-old boy by priest James Fletcher in Maitland.
Wilson, 64, was excused from appearing on Thursday at Newcastle Local Court, but his lawyer Simon Buchen said his client was pleading not guilty.
Police allege he concealed the abuse between 2004 and 2006.
Wilson has been Archbishop of Adelaide since 2001 and is believed to be the most senior Catholic official in the world to face a charge of this kind.
When the allegation was first raised earlier this year, Wilson said he was disappointed police had decided to charge him and would “vigorously” defend his innocence.
The charge follows an investigation by Strike Force Lantle, which, since 2010, has looked into allegations of concealment of child abuse by former and current clergy attached to the Catholic Church’s Maitland-Newcastle Diocese.
On Thursday Mr Buchen flagged he would apply to move the case from Newcastle to Sydney.
Wilson’s matter returns to court on June 17.
Archbishop of Adelaide Philip Wilson pleads not guilty to abuse cover-up at Newcastle hearing
12 hours ago May 07, 2015