Lebeau: Brother Claude Lebeau sc

Share Button

Claude Lebeau

Brother Claude Lebeau sc

October 2016:  Class action launched – former boarder at  Collège Mont-Sacré-Coeur in Granby, Quebec alleging that between 1972 and 1875 he was sexually abused  by Brother Claude Lebeau.  According to the plaintiff he was many boys who regularly had to line up outside Lebeau’s bedroom:  the boys were called in one by one.


Available chronology

2011:  retired (M)

2010:  spiritual counsellor at the Hôpital Anna Laberge in Châteauguay, Quebec (M)

1997-2010:  worked for the Brothers of the Sacred heart in Valleyfield, Quebec (M)

1972-1997:  teaching at Collège Mont-Sacré-Coeur in Granby, Quebec (M)


30 former students now claim they were sexually abused at Collège Mont-Sacré-Coeur in Granby

Montreal Gazette

Published on: October 19, 2016 | Last Updated: October 19, 2016 8:01 PM EST

Three to six nights a week, for two years, “A” would stand outside Brother Claude Lebeau’s bedroom at the Collège Mont-Sacré-Coeur in Granby, along with the other boys, waiting in line to see the brother in private.

But once behind closed doors, Lebeau would not offer prayer or a private tutorial, but allegedly would masturbate the student, to help him “open up” and get over his shyness.

Then the next boy would come in.

Now 56, “A” as he is known to the court, has filed a lawsuit for $1.2 million in damages against the school and the congregation (Les Frères du Sacré Coeur — Brothers of the Sacred Heart), alleging more than 300 such sexual assaults occurred between 1972 and 1975, when he was a boarder at the school and Lebeau was the dormitory supervisor. A was 13 when he says the assaults began.

But A is also acting as the lead plaintiff in a request to launch a class-action suit submitted to Superior Court Oct. 7.

And in the 12 days since then, his lawyers have received calls from 30 other alleged victims, and the number of alleged perpetrators at the elite school for boys has increased to nine.

For Robert Kugler, of the law firm Kugler, Kandestin, what happened at the college, and inside Lebeau’s bedroom, was not an isolated event.

“It was happening so frequently with kids lining up outside of the room, it’s hard to imagine — and I don’t believe — that this was not known to everyone in the higher ups of the congregation that were responsible for this school,” said Kugler, who successfully sued the Clercs de Saint-Viateur and the Institut Raymond-Dewar — the new name for the Montreal Institute for the Deaf — for $30 million for the rampant sex abuse at their school in Montreal.

“Given the number of abusers, and the number of years the abusers were at the school (complaints now range over 40 years) we expect that the number of victims will exceed 100. Time will tell.”

Yanick Messier, the lawyer representing the Brothers of the Sacred Heart, said the congregation was saddened by the allegations, and is taking them very seriously.

“The community unanimously intends to co-operate with the authorities,” said Messier, who represents all the defendants, which include the Corporation Maurice-Ratté and Les oeuvres Josaphat-Vanier. “They are putting all their energy into seeing and understanding what happened.”

As to the allegation there was systemic abuse involving other brothers, Messier would not speculate.

“It’s an evolving situation,” Messier said. “Twelve days have passed. There have been other calls. But whether that will translate into other plaintiffs being added (to the class action) we’ll see.”

Lebeau, who also taught and was responsible for the Grade 9 and 10 boys, left the Collège in Granby in 1997, and according to the Voix de l’Est newspaper, he then worked in Valleyfield for the Brothers of the Sacred Heart until 2010. Finally he worked as a spiritual counsellor at the Hôpital Anna Laberge in Châteauguay until his retirement in 2011.

Messier couldn’t say why Lebeau left the college. Founded in 1932, it became a secular school in 2004. But Messier was told it had nothing to do with the allegations detailed in the lawsuit.

Lebeau could not be reached for comment.

The next step is for a judge to decide whether to allow the class action to go forward, Kugler said, and, if warranted, to amend the lawsuit to include more victims — and more alleged perpetrators.

Very often, Kugler said, he is the first person grown men have ever told of the abuse they suffered as boys.

“It was kept secret for decades and were it not for A coming forward … it would have been kept secret longer,” Kugler said. “Now they realize they were not alone, it wasn’t their fault and they can feel free to come forward to talk about it confidentially and for free.”




Allegations of pedophilia at the Collège Mont-Sacré-Coeur in Granby

Radio Canada

Le Mont Sacré-Coeur à Granby

Mount Sacred Heart in Granby Photo: CBC


He says he was raped 300 times by a brother from Granby

Another religious congregation is subject to a class action application

[Online translation – original French article follows]

Journal de Monreal

Wednesday, 12 October 2016 06:22   Update

Collège Mont-Sacré-Coeur

Photo Pierre-Paul Poulin A former resident requires more than a million $ in College Mount Sacred Heart and the Sacred Heart Brothers for alleged assault.

Asserting that he had been raped more than 300 times by a religious who wanted to “help him” to cure himself of his shyness, a former student of a school in Granby wanted to institute a class action against the Brothers who had run the school for Decades and could have made up to a hundred victims.

A class action application was filed last Friday in the Superior Court to obtain compensation for “any victim of sexual assault suffered” at Collège Mont-Sacré-Cœur, led by the Brothers of the Sacred Heart from 1932 to 2004 .

This case is in addition to the long list of alleged cases of sexual assault that have been splattering the clergy in Quebec in recent years.

The alleged victim, described in the petition as a 56-year-old man who allegedly was an alcoholic as a result of the alleged assaults, would have lived through hell according to his lawyer, Robert Kugler.

In line

“Even today he is in a difficult state. He did not talk about it for years. It was a heavy secret to wear, “said Kugler, pointing out that for this reason, the man does not want to give interviews.

According to the application, he was allegedly assaulted more than 300 times, at a frequency of 3 to 6 times a week, while attending high school 3 and 4 as a boarder at the college. He would have been 13 at the time of the first assault.

“The dormitory supervisor, Brother Claude Lebeau, forced him to line up with other students in front of his room and assaulted him when he entered. What is particularly troubling is that other children came before and after the victim to the brother’s room, “says Kugler.

Brother Lebeau allegedly masturbated the young boarder on each of his visits to his room, with the aim of “helping him to open up and unwind”.

According to the firm Kugler Kandestin, which has already piloted three class actions against religious congregations, several other children could have been victims of Brothers of the Sacred Heart.

Tens of victims

“It is estimated that Brother Lebeau has been in office for at least 15 years. I would not be surprised if we were talking about 60 to 100 victims, “said Kugler.

“It is thought that victims of other brothers will also manifest themselves. Look at the case of the Redemptorist Fathers. It started with a victim and there were 110 at the end, “says Kugler.

Yesterday, the spokesman and brother, Donald Bouchard, refused to comment and redirected us to the lawyer of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart. Messier did not want to comment because the request had not yet been sent to the Brothers yesterday.

Other class actions against religious congregations

The Brothers of St. Croix

2013: Over 200 victims receive compensation ranging from $ 10,000 to $ 250,000 of the Congregation of Holy Cross, for having suffered abuse in residential schools of Notre Dame College, the College of Saint-Césaire and the School Notre-Dame de Pohénégamook between 1950 and 2001.

2014: A second class action was filed for sexual assaults on students in the 1960s and 1970s at Saint Joseph’s Oratory and three former college: Maisonneuve, Saint-Laurent and Marie-Victorin. The case is still in court.

The Redemptorist Fathers

2014: Former students of the Redemptorist Seminary of St. Alphonsus have prevailed in a lawsuit. They will receive a total of $ 20 million. The estimated number of casualties amounted to more than 200 former students.

Clerics of Saint-Viateur

2016: Over 150 deaf having been sexually assaulted by the Clerics of Saint Viator receive $ 30 million in compensation.

The Marist Brothers

2014: A class action is brought against the Marist Brothers for sexual and physical abuse allegedly perpetrated in a shelter for adolescents in Saint-Hyacinthe, between 1970 and 1986. The case is still in court.

Brothers of the Congregation Notre-Dame-de-la-Miséricorde

2016: A settlement agreement comes as part of a class action Brother Jean-Paul Thibault of the Congregation of the Brothers of Our Lady of Mercy, who was director of the Collège Saint-Hilaire for 20 years. Under the agreement, victims of sexual assault could receive a minimum amount of between $ 55,000 and $ 110,000.

Extracts from the application

“Brother Lebeau then told the applicant that it was important to express himself and invited him to join him in his room in the dormitory that evening because he said he had a solution to help him.”

“To his astonishment, Brother Lebeau asked the youngster to pull down his pajama pants and began to masturbate, as this was a way to help him open up and get rid of himself.”

“At the end of the session, Brother Lebeau sometimes gave encouragement” you make progress “or” you continue “, as if it were a therapy, while at other times, the brother Lebeau seemed frustrated by the applicant’s lack of erection by criticizing him and telling him that he was too “withdrawn”.

“It frequently happened that the applicant had to wait in line while the brother was busy with another student alone in his room … the latter often waited seated on his bed.”


Il dit avoir été violé 300 fois par un frère de Granby

Une autre congrégation religieuse est visée par une demande de recours collectif

Le Journal de Montreal

Mercredi, 12 octobre 2016 06:22 MISE à JOUR

Affirmant avoir été violé plus de 300 fois par un religieux qui voulait «l’aider» à se guérir de sa timidité, un ancien élève d’une école de Granby veut intenter un recours collectif contre les Frères qui ont dirigé l’établissement pendant des décennies et qui auraient pu faire jusqu’à une centaine de victimes.

Une demande en recours collectif a été déposée vendredi dernier à la Cour supérieure afin d’obtenir un dédommagement pour «toute victime d’agression sexuelle subie» au Collège Mont-Sacré-Cœur, dirigé par les Frères du Sacré-Cœur de 1932 à 2004.

Ce cas s’ajoute à la longue liste de cas allégués d’agressions sexuelles qui éclaboussent le clergé au Québec depuis quelques années.

La présumée victime, décrite dans la requête comme un homme de 56 ans qui aurait été alcoolique à la suite des présumées agressions, aurait vécu l’enfer selon son avocat, Me Robert Kugler.

En file

«Encore aujourd’hui, il est dans un état difficile. Il n’a pas parlé de ça pendant des années. C’était un lourd secret à porter», dit Me Kugler, précisant que pour cette raison, l’homme ne veut pas accorder d’entrevues.

Selon la requête, ce dernier aurait été agressé plus de 300 fois, à une fréquence de 3 à 6 fois par semaine, pendant qu’il effectuait son secondaire 3 et 4 comme pensionnaire au collège. Il aurait eu 13 ans au moment de la première agression.

«Le surveillant du dortoir, le frère Claude Lebeau, l’obligeait à se mettre en file avec d’autres élèves devant sa chambre et l’agressait quand il entrait. Ce qui est particulièrement troublant, c’est que d’autres enfants entraient avant et après la victime dans la chambre du frère», affirme Me Kugler.

Le frère Lebeau aurait masturbé le jeune pensionnaire à chacune des visites de celui-ci à sa chambre, dans le but de «l’aider à s’ouvrir et se dégêner».

Selon la firme Kugler Kandestin, qui a déjà piloté trois recours collectifs contre des congrégations religieuses, plusieurs autres enfants auraient pu être victimes de Frères du Sacré-Cœur.

Dizaines de victimes

«On estime que le frère Lebeau a été en poste au moins pendant 15 ans. Je ne serais pas surpris qu’on parle de 60 à 100 victimes», estime Me Kugler.

«On pense que des victimes d’autres frères vont aussi se manifester. Regardez le cas des Pères rédemptoristes. Ça a commencé avec une victime et il y en avait 110 à la fin», dit Me Kugler.

Hier, le porte-parole et frère, Donald Bouchard, s’est refusé à tout commentaire et nous a redirigés vers l’avocat des Frères du Sacré-Cœur. Me Messier n’a pas voulu commenter puisque la requête n’avait pas encore été signifiée aux Frères hier.


D’autres recours collectifs contre des congrégations religieuses

Les Frères de Sainte-Croix

2013 : Plus de 200 victimes reçoivent une indemnisation allant de 10 000 $ à 250 000 $ de la congrégation de Sainte-Croix, pour avoir subi des sévices dans les pensionnats du Collège Notre-Dame, du Collège de Saint-Césaire et de l’école Notre-Dame de Pohénégamook entre 1950 et 2001.

2014 : Un deuxième recours collectif est déposé pour des agressions sexuelles commises sur des élèves dans les années 1960 et 1970 à l’oratoire Saint-Joseph et dans trois anciens collèges: Maisonneuve, Saint-Laurent, et Marie-Victorin. Le dossier est toujours en cour.

Les Pères rédemptoristes

2014 : D’anciens élèves des rédemptoristes du Séminaire Saint-Alphonse ont gain de cause dans un recours collectif. Ils recevront une somme totale de 20 M$. Le nombre estimé de victimes s’élevait à plus de 200 anciens élèves.

Clercs de Saint-Viateur

2016 : Plus de 150 personnes sourdes ayant été agressées sexuellement par les Clercs de Saint-Viateur reçoivent 30 M$ en indemnisations.

Les Frères maristes

2014 : Un recours collectif est intenté contre les Frères maristes pour des sévices sexuels et physiques qui auraient été perpétrés dans un centre d’hébergement pour adolescents, à Saint-Hyacinthe, entre 1970 et 1986. Le dossier est toujours en cour.

Frères de la congrégation Notre-Dame-de-la-Miséricorde

2016 : Une entente à l’amiable survient dans le cadre d’un recours collectif visant le frère Jean-Paul Thibault de la congrégation des Frères de Notre-Dame de Miséricorde, qui a été directeur du Collège Saint-Hilaire pendant 20 ans. Selon l’entente, les victimes d’agressions sexuelles pouvaient recevoir une somme minimum variant entre 55 000 $ et 110 000 $.

Extraits de la requête

«Le frère Lebeau a alors dit au requérant qu’il était important de s’extérioriser et l’a donc invité à venir le rejoindre dans sa chambre au dortoir ce soir-là puisqu’il disait avoir une solution pour l’aider.»

«À son grand étonnement, le frère Lebeau a demandé au jeune de baisser ses pantalons de pyjama et s’est mis à le masturber puisque ceci était un moyen de l’aider à s’ouvrir et à se dégêner.»

«À la fin de la séance, le frère Lebeau donnait parfois de l’encouragement “tu fais du progrès” ou “on continue”, comme s’il s’agissait d’une thérapie, alors que d’autres fois, le frère Lebeau semblait frustré de l’absence d’érection du requérant en le critiquant et lui disant qu’il était trop “renfermé”».

«Il arrivait fréquemment que le requérant doive attendre en file alors que le frère était occupé avec un autre élève seul dans sa chambre […] ce dernier attendait souvent assis sur son lit.»


Publié le 12 octobre 2016 à 05h00| Mis à jour le 12 octobre 2016 à 05h00

Dossier dating from the 1970s: allegations of pedophilia at Collège Mont Sacré-Coeur

[Online translation – original French article follows]

La Presse

12 October 2016

Jérôme Roy
The Voice of the East

Le Collège Mont Sacré-Coeur, dirigé de façon laïque... (Alain Dion, La Voix de l'Est)

Collège Mont Sacré-Coeur, led in a secular way since 2004, is involved in a demand for collective action in connection with sexual assaults committed within its walls in the 1970s.

(Granby) A 56-year-old man claims to have been sexually assaulted more than 300 times by a Brother while attending Mount Sacré-Coeur College in the 1970s. On September 28, he formally applied to Superior Court of Authorize a collective action against the Brothers of the Sacred Heart, the Collège Mont Sacré-Coeur in Granby, the Maurice-Ratté Corporation and the works of Josaphat-Vanier.

The man – who is identified only by the letter A in the document submitted to the Superior Court – claims to have been assaulted “systematically” between the ages of 13 and 15 by Brother Claude Lebeau. In addition to wanting to bring a collective action, “A” also claims the sum of $ 1.2 million. Specifically, he is claiming $ 450,000 in damages to compensate for his pain, $ 250,000 for his pecuniary losses including disbursements for his past and future therapies, and $ 500,000 in punitive and exemplary damages.

It is the firm of Kugler Kandestin SENCRL who represents the applicant in the case. According to Mr. Robert Kugler, who has worked on similar cases, the amount is in the standards.

“We often ask for such amounts. […] We are still seeking substantial compensation for the [applicants], who have suffered extremely hardship and suffered greatly. “

As for him, the director of communications to the Committee of victims of priests Carlo Tarini, explains that it is not uncommon to see this file arise several decades after the alleged acts.

“In judicial principles, there is the inability to act. That is to say, one understands that this young man never spoke to his parents, his family, [his family]; That he is unable to do so. But at some point, according to psychiatrists who deal with similar cases and psychologists, it can unlock. “

A boy shy and withdrawn

In the legal document, it is said that “A” entered college Mont Sacré-Coeur in 1972 to undertake his second secondary as a resident. His parents then had a “blind confidence” in the Congregation. The first year of schooling went “well”, but in the third grade, “A” was transferred from the Junior Wing to the Senior Wing. That’s where it all started.

Brother Claude Lebeau, who then assumed the direction and discipline of the Secondary III and IV students, also supervised the courses given to these students and supervised their dormitories. About a month after the school year, he would have invited “A” to join him in his room in the evening. Brother Lebeau expressed concern about the timidity of “A” and said he had a solution for him. The student believed that they would pray together. The Brother instead asked him to lower his pajama pants and then masturbate the young man, pretending that it would help him to disentangle himself. In the absence of an erection, the Brother simply invited “A” to come back the next day.

According to the request, the scenario was repeated for two years, three to six times a week. Brother Lebeau always proceeded in the same way, speaking of “therapy.” Sometimes he encouraged the young man. At other times, he was frustrated by the student’s lack of erection.

Isolation and anxiety

“A” would have begun to suffer from anxiety and feel very isolated. He often stayed at the College on weekends and was bored of his parents. Very authoritative, Brother Lebeau also supervised the letters that “A” wanted to send out. As the College did not offer a Secondary V course, “A” left the institution. He dropped out of school after completing his fifth secondary on two occasions. He dreamed of becoming a professional, but rather multiplied the manual jobs once in adulthood. He was unable to have a long-term relationship with a woman before his thirties and never had any children, to his great regret.

Faced with his personal problems, “A” has completely spent his income in alcohol, cocaine and sleeping pills. He initiated a detoxification treatment at 31 years, but then developed depressive and anxious tendencies. In 2014 and 2015, he consulted psychologists and psychiatrists, took antidepressants, but never thoroughly addressed the charges against Brother Lebeau. He did not believe that these could have an impact on what he then was and did not understand the source of his illness.

It was in the fall of 2015, when he saw a report on the sexual assault file against Les Clercs de Saint-Viateur, that his own story had reemerged in him. He tried to find Brother Lebeau without success. In fact, they never came into contact after the allegations.

Once again inhabited by shame and anxiety, “A” returned to see health professionals to get help. He now wants to undertake a therapy in connection with what he has experienced. To this day, however, he still has not shared his secret with his family members, fearing to annihilate them.

A line in front of the room

A disturbing detail, one can read in the motion for collective action that the pupils frequently rode in front of the door of Brother Lebeau’s room. Each one came in alone, in turn. After the act, the young man returned to his bed without saying a word. In fact, “A” claims that the students never discussed what was going on in the religious room.

Carlo Tarini, of the Victims’ Committee of Priests, assures that the silence imposed by the aggressors can indeed be very strong.

“What is particularly scandalous, often seen – and in this case particularly obscene – is the power of authority that makes even a child who would have tried to denounce it , Would have been unable to do so. “

He adds that religion weighs heavily in the balance.

“To denounce a priest [or a religious] is to denounce a representative of God!”

It is possible that other alumni of the Collège Mont Sacré-Coeur trail a similar bullet. If so, Mr Tarini invited them to contact the Committee. He assures that the anonymity of the appellants will be scrupulously respected.

“This is the fear of most victims. It is a very heavy and very heavy secret that they carry on their shoulders for years. “Understanding that they can access justice or compensation for the serious harm they have suffered while still being anonymous can motivate them to move forward.”

Same story from Mr. Robert Kugler, inviting other alleged victims to come forward with his cabinet.

“What is most important to your readers is that they are completely at ease by calling us, and we will listen to them. They can contact lawyers free of charge and in a completely confidential manner. If it’s the message they get, that’s the right message, “he concludes.

Respondents’ Reactions

The respondents had still not received a copy of the legal complaint on Tuesday when The Eastern Voices contacted them.  According to Mr. Pierre Boivin, a lawyer Cabinet Kugler Kandestin LLP, the document becomes public immediately after being deposited with the registry – last Friday in this case – even if it is on track to be formally served on the respondents.

The Brothers of the Sacred Heart, Ms. Yanick Messier – representing the last few years – said he could not say much as he had not received the official request. Previously, Brother Yvan Turgeon refused to comment, leaving Mr. Messier care to answer questions.

Meanwhile, Claude Lacroix, general manager of the Mont Sacré-Coeur College, did not hide his great surprise at the news, but insisted that he took the matter very seriously. The institution, which has been secularly run since 2004, still has two brothers on its board of directors, while 22 remain there for a rent.

It was not possible to ascertain what happened to Brother Claude Lebeau.


Publié le 12 octobre 2016 à 05h00| Mis à jour le 12 octobre 2016 à 05h00

Dossier datant des années 70: allégations de pédophilie au Collège Mont Sacré-Coeur


Le Collège Mont Sacré-Coeur, dirigé de façon laïque depuis 2004, se trouve mêlé à une demande d’action collective en lien avec des agressions sexuelles qui auraient été commises entre ses murs dans les années ’70.

Alain Dion, La Voix de l’Est

(Granby) Un homme de 56 ans prétend avoir été agressé sexuellement à plus de 300 reprises par un Frère alors qu’il fréquentait le Collège Mont Sacré-Coeur dans les années 70. Le 28 septembre dernier, il a officiellement demandé à Cour supérieure d’autoriser une action collective à l’endroit des Frères du Sacré-Coeur, du Collège Mont Sacré-Coeur de Granby, de la Corporation Maurice-Ratté et des oeuvres Josaphat-Vanier.

L’homme – qui n’est identifié que par la lettre A dans le document remis à la Cour supérieure – prétend avoir été agressé «de façon systématique» entre l’âge de 13 et 15 ans par le Frère Claude Lebeau. En plus de vouloir intenter une action collective, «A» réclame aussi la somme de 1,2 M$. Plus précisément, il demande 450 000$ en dommages-intérêts pour compenser sa souffrance, 250 000$ pour ses pertes pécuniaires incluant les déboursés pour ses thérapies passées et à venir, de même que 500 000$ en dommages-intérêts punitifs et exemplaires.

C’est le cabinet Kugler Kandestin S.E.N.C.R.L. qui représente le requérant dans la cause. Selon Me Robert Kugler, qui a travaillé sur d’autres dossiers similaires, la somme est dans les normes.

«Souvent, nous réclamons de tels montants. […] Nous recherchons toujours à obtenir une compensation importante pour les [requérants], qui ont été victimes de torts extrêmement difficiles et qui ont soufferts beaucoup.»

Quant à lui, le directeur des communications au Comité des victimes de prêtres Carlo Tarini, explique qu’il n’est pas rare de voir ce genre de dossier surgir plusieurs décennies après les faits reprochés.

«Dans les principes judiciaires, il y a l’incapacité d’agir. C’est-à-dire que l’on comprend que ce jeune homme-là n’en a jamais parlé à ses parents, à sa famille, [à ses proches]; qu’il est incapable de le faire. Mais à un moment donné, selon les psychiatres qui traitent des cas semblables et des psychologues, ça peut débloquer.»

Un garçon timide et renfermé

Dans le document légal, on raconte que «A» est entré au Collège Mont Sacré-Coeur en 1972 pour y entreprendre sa deuxième secondaire en tant que pensionnaire. Ses parents avaient alors une «confiance aveugle» envers la Congrégation. La première année d’études s’est «bien déroulée», mais en troisième secondaire, «A» a été transféré de l’Aile des juniors à l’Aile des séniors. C’est là que tout aurait commencé.

Le Frère Claude Lebeau, qui assumait alors la direction et la discipline des élèves de troisième et de quatrième secondaire, supervisait également les cours donnés à ces élèves et surveillait leur dortoir. Environ un mois après la rentrée, il aurait invité «A» à le rejoindre dans sa chambre en soirée. Le Frère Lebeau se disait préoccupé par la timidité de «A» et affirmait avoir une solution pour lui. L’élève croyait qu’ils prieraient ensemble. Le Frère lui a plutôt demandé de baisser ses pantalons de pyjama pour ensuite masturber le jeune homme, prétextant que ça l’aiderait à se dégêner. En l’absence d’érection, le Frère a simplement invité «A» à revenir le lendemain.

Selon la requête, le scénario s’est répété pendant deux ans, de trois à six fois par semaine. Le Frère Lebeau procédait toujours de la même façon, parlant de «thérapie». Parfois, il encourageait le jeune homme. D’autres fois, il se montrait frustré par l’absence d’érection de l’élève.

Isolement et anxiété

«A» aurait commencé à souffrir d’anxiété et à se sentir très isolé. Il restait souvent au Collège les fins de semaine et s’ennuyait de ses parents. Très autoritaire, le Frère Lebeau supervisait par ailleurs les lettres que «A» souhaitait envoyer à l’extérieur. Comme le Collège n’offrait pas de cours de cinquième secondaire, «A» a quitté l’institution. Il a abandonné l’école après avoir fait son cinquième secondaire à deux reprises. Il rêvait de devenir professionnel, mais a plutôt multiplié les emplois manuels une fois à l’âge adulte. Il a été incapable d’avoir une relation à long terme avec une femme avant la trentaine et n’a jamais eu d’enfants, à son grand regret.

Face à ses problèmes personnels, «A» a complètement dépensé ses revenus dans l’alcool, la cocaïne et les somnifères. Il a entamé un traitement de désintoxication à 31 ans, mais a ensuite développé des tendances dépressives et anxieuses. En 2014 et 2015, il a consulté psychologues et psychiatres, pris des antidépresseurs, mais n’a jamais abordé en profondeur les faits reprochés au Frère Lebeau. Il ne croyait pas que ceux-ci pouvaient avoir un impact sur ce qu’il vivait alors et ne comprenait pas la source de son mal.

C’est à l’automne 2015, en voyant un reportage sur le dossier d’agressions sexuelles contre Les Clercs de Saint-Viateur, que sa propre histoire a ressurgi en lui. Il a tenté de retrouver le Frère Lebeau, sans succès. En fait, ils ne sont jamais entrés en contact après les faits reprochés.

De nouveau habité par la honte et l’anxiété, «A» est retourné voir des professionnels de la santé pour obtenir de l’aide. Il désire aujourd’hui entreprendre une thérapie en lien avec ce qu’il a vécu. À ce jour, cependant, il n’a toujours pas partagé son secret aux membres de sa famille, craignant de les anéantir.

Une file devant la chambre

Détail pour le moins troublant, on peut lire dans la requête d’action collective que les élèves faisaient fréquemment la file devant la porte de la chambre du Frère Lebeau. Chacun y entrait seul, à tour de rôle. Après l’acte, le jeune homme retournait dans son lit, sans dire un mot. En fait, «A» prétend que les élèves ne discutaient jamais de ce qui se passait dans la chambre du religieux.

Carlo Tarini, du Comité des victimes de prêtres, assure que le silence imposé par les agresseurs peut être effectivement très fort.

«Qu’est-ce qui est particulièrement scandaleux, qu’on voit souvent – et dans ce cas-ci c’est particulièrement obscène – c’est le pouvoir de l’autorité qui fait que même un enfant qui aurait essayé de le dénoncer, aurait été incapable de le faire.»

Il ajoute que la religion pèse très lourd dans la balance.

«De dénoncer un prêtre [ou un religieux], c’est de dénoncer un représentant de Dieu!»

Il se pourrait donc que d’autres anciens élèves du Collège Mont Sacré-Coeur traînent un boulet similaire. Si tel est le cas, M. Tarini les invite à contacter le Comité. Il assure que l’anonymat des appelants sera scrupuleusement respecté.

«C’est la crainte de la plupart des victimes. C’est un secret très lourd et très pesant qu’ils portent sur leurs épaules depuis des années. S’ils comprennent qu’ils peuvent accéder à une mesure de justice ou à une indemnisation pour les graves torts qu’ils ont subis, tout en gardant [l’anonymat], ça peut les motiver à aller de l’avant.»

Même son de cloche de la part de Me Robert Kugler, qui invite d’autres présumées victimes à se manifester auprès de son cabinet.

«Ce qui est le plus important pour vos lecteurs, c’est qu’ils soient complètement à l’aise en nous appelant, et on va les écouter. Ils peuvent communiquer avec des avocats gratuitement et de manière complètement confidentielle. Si c’est le message qu’ils obtiennent, c’est le bon message», conclut-il.

Réactions des intimés

Les intimés n’avaient toujours pas obtenu copie de la requête légale, mardi, lorsque La Voix de l’Est les a contactés. Selon Me Pierre Boivin, avocat au Cabinet Kugler Kandestin S.E.N.C.R.L., le document devient public immédiatement après avoir été déposé au greffe – vendredi dernier dans ce cas-ci -, même s’il est en voie d’être signifié officiellement aux intimés.

Chez les Frères du Sacré-Coeur, Me Yanick Messier – qui les représente depuis quelques années – a indiqué qu’il ne pouvait dire grand-chose tant qu’il n’avait pas reçu la requête officielle. Auparavant, le Frère Yvan Turgeon avait refusé de commenter, laissant à Me Messier le soin de répondre aux questions.

Quant à lui, le directeur général du Collège Mont Sacré-Coeur, Claude Lacroix, n’a pas caché sa grande surprise face à la nouvelle, mais a tenu à assurer qu’il prenait la chose très au sérieux. L’institution – dirigée de façon laïque depuis 2004 – compte toujours deux frères sur son conseil d’administration, alors que 22 y demeurent moyennant un loyer.

Il n’a pas été possible de vérifier ce qu’il est advenu du Frère Claude Lebeau.

Leave a Reply