Bishop improving following attack

Share Button

BISHOP DAVID MONROE: Recovering from last month’s brutal attack.
Updated: November 12, 2010 11:15 AM

The family of Roman Catholic Bishop David Monroe released a statement on Wednesday, Nov. 10, thanking the community for its prayers and support and updating the public on Monroe’s condition.

Monroe was attacked on the night of Oct. 22 in the rectory of Sacred Heart Cathedral, which is located on Nicola Street in downtown Kamloops.

John Bandura, 30, remains in custody and is charged with aggravated assault, assault with a weapon and mischief.

Shortly after the attack, Bandura’s family issued a statement to media, offering their prayers for Monroe.

This week, the family of Monroe — sisters Noreen Monroe Guzie, Jane Monroe, Margaret Taddei, Ruth Vaessen and Barbara Macaulay — collectively issued an update on his condition.

“The family of Bishop David Monroe would like to thank the community for its prayers and support,” they said.

“Bishop Monroe began an unexpected journey on Oct. 22. We understand there is a desire from the media and the public to know how his recovery is progressing.

“There were some encouraging signs during the first week following his injury and we’re pleased to say he has passed through the critical stages and is now stable.

“The next stage of David’s journey will involve long-term recovery.

“His family remains optimistic and continues to give thanks to God for the many skilled and compassionate people who have helped David. Special mention must be made of his care team, which includes Dr. Anders, Dr. Chevalier, Dr. Ganstal and Dr. Raghavan.”

Monroe’s sisters asked that the media and public respect the need for privacy so he can heal.

The Crown alleges Bandura — who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder — was in the midst of a psychotic episode in which he was fixated on religion when the beating took place.

Bandura return to court on Nov. 25.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *