“N.B. diocese to offer apology, money for abuse” and other related articles

Share Button

 http://news.sympatico.ca/oped/coffee-talk/nb_diocese_to_offer_apology_money_for_abuse/f3c94c09

03 November 2010

  
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Bathurst will offer an official apology and compensation for abuse that took place in northern New Brunswick as far back as 1959.

Rev. Wesley Wade released a statement to the media on Tuesday indicating the Catholic diocese would offer an apology and financial compensation to the 35 complainants who identified themselves to retired Supreme Court of Canada Justice Michel Bastarache during a conciliation process.
 

Bastarache was hired by the diocese after Levi Noel, an 84-year-old former priest, was convicted of 22 sex-related offences and Charles Picot, a former priest who had worked in Dalhousie, was charged with indecent assault. Noel’s offences took place between 1959 and 1981.

Bastarache has not commented to the media since handing in his report to the diocese on Monday.

The retired judge established a financial compensation package for the victims that outlined a scale for potential payment.

Bastarache created five categories of alleged assaults that range from unwanted touching to sexual assault.

He then created subcategories that dealt with the long-term consequences of the assaults, such as the individual’s inability to finish school, whether they were able to hold a job or, in some cases, their decision to attempt suicide.

It is not known how much Bastarache is recommending the victims receive or whether the church will accept the report in its entirety.

Bastarache said he then reviewed various legal precedents for compensation given to other sexual assault victims to come up with a payment range.

The diocese’s statement said individuals can continue to come forward to Bastarache until Dec. 1. Nine of the 45 people who came forward to meet Bastarache have declined to be a part of the conciliation process.

They are opting to take the church to court instead.

______________________________

N.B. diocese to compensate 35 people for abuse 

CTV

Date: Wednesday Nov. 3, 2010 2:16 PM ET

The Canadian Press

BATHURST, N.B. — A Catholic diocese in northern New Brunswick says a conciliation process has identified 35 people who deserve compensation and apologies as a result of being abused by clergy.  

A statement issued by Rev. Wesley Wade of the Diocese of Bathurst says the individuals will receive a formal apology and compensation following recommendations from former Supreme Court Justice Michel Bastarache.  

Bastarache was hired by the diocese earlier this year after Levi Noel, a former priest, pleaded guilty to charges of sexual assault against 18 boys between 1958 and 1980.

Noel was sentenced to eight years in prison.  

The diocese is extending the deadline for the conciliation process to Dec. 1, but a number of people have expressed interest in taking legal action instead.

No one from the diocese was available for comment.

______________________________ 

Redress for church sex assaults delayed

 National Post Postmedia News · Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2010 Compensation recommendations for dozens of New Brunswick victims of sexual assaults within the Catholic Church have been delayed to allow time for more victims to come forward. Former Supreme Court justice Michel Bastarache had been prepared to deliver his recommendations on Monday. The diocese, however, upon the advice of Mr. Bastarache, extended the deadline for new applications until Dec. 1. Mr. Bastarache has said that between 45 and 47 people were victimized by former parish priest Levi Noel and others. Of those, nine have chosen not to take part in the compensation process. However, “Before completing the process, Mr. Bastarache will attempt to meet with the victims who hesitate to participate and invite them to reconsider their options,” Father Wesley Wade, vicar general for the Diocese of Bathurst, said yesterday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *