Ottawa Valley priest charged in sex assaults

Share Button

The Ottawa Citizen

March 1, 2012 5:16 AM

By Chloé Fedio, Ottawa Citizen

An Ottawa Valley priest faces several sexual assaults charges against pre-teenage boys and one man that date back to 1970, Ontario Provincial Police said Wednesday.

Daniel Miller, 67, was charged with three counts each of gross indecency and indecent assault for offences that occurred between 1970 and 1980.

Miller was ordained priest in the Pembroke diocese in May 1969. He served the Roman Catholic church in Eganville, Arnprior, Deep River and Petawawa prior to 1999, said Bruce Pappin, spokesman for the Pembroke diocese.

Miller currently lives in a residence at Our Lady of Lourdes church in Pembroke but does not serve as a priest for that congregation, Pappin said. “He has not been in active pastoral duty for over a decade. He’s living in the rectory at Lourdes church,” Pappin said.

Miller is the third priest of the Pembroke diocese to face historical sexual assault charges in recent years.

In November 2011, Msgr. Robert Borne was found guilty of indecent assault and gross indecency against a 16-year-old boy in 1979.

In January 2008, Msgr. Bernard Prince was found guilty of molesting 13 young boys between 1964 and 1984. The prominent priest had previously been given with a Vatican post.

Miller was released from custody on a promise to appear in a Renfrew court March 28.

Anyone with information can call the Renfrew County OPP crime unit at 613-432-3211 or 1-888-310-1122.

cfedio@ottawacitizen.com

Twitter.com/cfedio

_________________________________

Pembroke Priest Accused of Assaulting Preteen Boys, Adult Man

580 CFRA News Talk Radio (Ottawa)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Kristi Soble with Lauren Davis

A Pembroke priest faces charges in relation to a historical sexual assault.

OPP say the man is accused of assaulting preteen boys and an adult man between 1970 and 1980.

Sixty-seven-year-old Daniel M. Miller has been charged with three counts of gross indecency and three counts of indecent assault.

He is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in Renfrew on March 28.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *