McIntee: Father Harold McIntee omi

Share Button

Harold Daniel McIntee omi

Harry McIntee omi

Oblate priest.  Ordained 15 June 1957 in Ottawa, Ontario. June 1989 GUILTY plea – sentenced to two years in jail plus three years probation for sex abuse of 17 native and white boys in British Columbia over a period of 25 years.  It seems McIntee was molesting boys virtually everywhere he served.  Many of his victims were boys in residential schools.


The following information is drawn from the 1999 Oblate Directory (OD99), Canadian Catholic Church Directories (CCCD) of that date, and media (M) 


20-22 April 2016:  Father Harold McIntee Obituary

18 April 2016:  BLOG Another clerical molester dead


23 April 2016:  Funeral Mass at Canadian Martyr’s Roman Catholic Church, Main st., Ottawa

14 April 2016:   Died in Ottawa after a fall

15 December 2015:  returned to Ottawa (Obit)

2015: address for Foyer Lacombe, a home for retired Oblate priests and brothers  in St. Albert, Alberta (CCCD)

2014, 2011, 2010:  1111 Saskatchewan Cresc., Saskatoon,  Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

2009:  application for transfer of membership from KOC Council No. 8319 in Vancouver to Saskatchewan –  KOC Council No 9539 St Philip Neri, Saskatoon,  Saskatchewan.   Living in Mazenod residence, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

2008:  Harold McIntee, OMI assigned to Saskatchewan Local Community with residency at Mazenod Residence, Saskatoon, SK effective December 8,

2002:  1311 The Crescent, Vancouver, BC. (CCCD)

2000, 1998:  1311 The Crescent, Vancouver, BC. (CCCD)

1995:  Chaplain, Youville residence. Vancouver – Crescent (OD99)

1995, 1994:  1311 The Crescent, Vancouver, BC. (CCCD)

1994:  Suitland, Maryland, St. Luke Institute (OD99)

1991:  in residence – Vancouver – Crescent (OD99)

1991: 1311 The Crescent, Vancouver, BC. (CCCD)

1989:  Leave of Absence (OD99)

June 1989:  GUIILTY plea – Sentenced to two years in jail plus three years probation (M)

1987:  Missionary, Tofino (OD99)

1985-86:  Terrace, British Columbia (Diocese of Prince George, BC)

1985-86:  Sacred Heart RC Church, Terrace, British Columbia (Pastor James Jordan omi) (Diocese Prince George BC, Bishop Fergus O’Grady omi)

1983:  assistant St. Augustine’s (OD99)

1981:  assistant, Terrace, B.C. (OD99)

1980:  assistant Beaconsfiled, Quebec – secular parish (OD99)

1979:  Leave of Absence, Montreal, Quebec (OD99)

1978:  assistant Dawson Creek,  (OD99)

1977:  Pastor, Arnprior, Ontario (OD99)

1976: assistant, St. Augustine (OD99)

1975:  Detroit – Sacred Heart Rehabilitation (OD99) (why was he in rehab. in 1975?)

1974:  assistant, St. Augustine (OD99)

1973-74, 1971-72:  Pastor, St. Edward’s RC Church, Duncan, B.C.(CCCD)

1968: Pastor, Duncan, B.C. (OD99)

1968-69:  Associate Pastor, St. Edward’s  (Pastor Father P. Monahan) (CCCD)

1967:  St. Edward’s Rectory, Duncan, British Columbia with missions in Cobble Hill, Shawnigan Lake, Westholme and Mill Bay (Pastor Father P. Monahan) (CCCD)  Remi de Roo Bishop of Victoria, BC)

1964:  assistant, Duncan, B.C. (OD99)

1964: Fr. McIntee OMI had been assigned to Vancouver Island.

1963:  assistant, Hope, B.C. (OD99)

July 1963:  Our Lady of Good Hope, Hope, B.C. :

The new assistant, Fr. Harold McIntee OMI, arrived in Hope on July 27 and was taken to North Bend where he said Mass, officially beginning his assignment.

In the first weeks of September the parish organizations started functioning again. The C.W.L. is well established and does very good work for the parish. The Holy Name Society was disbanded for a time and a new organization called the Catholic Men’s club was established – a club in which the men of the parish would meet each other and also met to know what needed to be done in the running of the parish.”

There was a flourishing Young People’s group organized for the high school students – they would meet once a week for instruction and discussion and have a monthly social evening. There was a fairly good choir conducted by Mr. Carl Bachinski, with Miss Terry Pope as organist. There was also an altar boy society consisting of 16 altar boys.

In the month of October, the time for Masses was changed so that more people would be able to attend Sunday Mass. The new Masses also included Laidlaw on the first third and fourth Sunday of each month as well as Katz on the second Sunday of each month, and also allowing Masses at Boston Bar and Yale of each Sunday.

Weekday Masses were said at 7.30 a.m. but on Friday, Mass was at 8 p.m. Saturday he had Mass at 9 a.m. and Benediction every Sunday evening at 7 p.m.

1959:  Missionary, Williams Lake, B.C. (OD99)

Served at the St. Joseph’s Residential School near Williams Lake, B.C.  According to media also serving at the school with him was Len Doughty (Glenn Doughty), an Oblate Brother later charged and convicted.  Hubert O’Connor omi was Principal of the school.  O’Connor later became Bishop of Prince George, British Columbia.  In 1991 O’Connor stepped down after facing charges of sex abuse or assault of young native girls and fathering a child: he was convicted but the conviction was appealed.  A third trial was not pursued – the victims were weary of it all)

1959:  Assistant, Ottawa – St. Joseph’s & Saskatoon – St. Joseph’s (OD99)

1959:  St. Joseph RC Church, Ottawa, Ontario (CCCD)

15 June 1957:  Ordained

attened St. Patrrick’s College, Ottawa, Ontario (Obit)

DOB: 29 April 1939, Vanleek Hill, Ontario


Residential School Settlement Applauded

Vancouver Sun

04 November 1998

Douglas Todd

All sides are cheering a precedent-setting agreement between the Catholic church, the federal government and 10 native Indian men who were sexually assaulted as students at a B.C. residential school.

The out-of-court settlement, which each party is calling an “historical breakthrough,” marks the first time in Canada the federal government, a major religious denomination and native Indians have found a way to resolve one of the hundreds of civil lawsuits that have been launched over the country’s native residential-school system.

“This is all good,” said Father Vincent LaPlante, spokesman for the Oblate brothers who ran St. Joseph’s residential school near Williams Lake, where dozens of young native boys were abused by church officials in the 1950s and ’60s.

The settlement — which was reached just before a court case was to start in Vancouver this week — includes an undisclosed financial payout to the native men of Alkali Lake and Canim Lake, and apologies from the Catholic church, Oblate Brothers and federal government. As well, all the parties have agreed to take part in a healing circle, which will be held at the same time as the official blessing of Alkali Lake’s newly renovated Catholic church.

“We’re all happy about it,’ Laplante said. “We know the past can’t be changed, but we can do something for the future. The native people want to rebuild and restore the good relationship with the Catholic church that was there for about 125 years.”

Native Indians across Canada have now filed more than 1,600 lawsuits against the federal government and the various Christian denominations that ran Canada’s 130 native residential schools until the last ones were disbanded in the 1970s.

The 10 complainants in the lawsuit settled this week were sexually abused at St. Joseph’s by either Oblate brother Len Doughty or Harold McIntee. The 10 men, plus the estate of another victim who committed suicide, claimed damages for sexual assault and what they charged was the residential school’s general attack on native culture.

Former Prince George Bishop Hubert O’Connor was principal of St. Joseph’s at the time Doughty and McIntee worked there. O’Connor — who recently had several sex convictions related to St. Joseph’s overturned on appeal — was accused in the native men’s lawsuit of ignoring complaints they were being assaulted while sleeping, boarding, working and taking classes at St. Joseph’s.

The native men’s lawyer, Don Sorochan, said the negotiations that led to the Catholic church and federal government accepting “vicarious liability” for the sexual assaults came about largely because of the extra efforts of B.C. Supreme Court Chief Justice Bryan Williams. “He negotiated it in two days. He’s a leader in trying to offer an alternative way to resolve these disputes,” Sorochan said, noting that Williams was the lawyer who represented the B.C. government in treaty negotiations with the Nisga’a.

Shawn Tupper, who is the federal government’s senior policy adviser on native issues, said he would not be surprised if the out-of-court settlement in the St. Joseph’s case helped lead to the early resolution of numerous other potentially lengthy residential school lawsuits.

Sorochan, LaPlante and Tupper also said they were impressed by how the native complainants wanted to put the case behind them. “The bottom line is that all the parties were able to find some common ground so that we can get on with the healing of the victims. We want to allow these guys to get on with the closure they seek,” Tupper said.


Canadian Press

02 June 1989


A recommendation by a provincial court judge that a priest  convicted of sexual assault face his victims will help promote peace between Indians and the church, the priest’s lawyer says.

Judge Cunliffe Barnett’s order requires Roman Catholic priest  Harold McIntee to go to his native victims’ communities and hear their stories.

McIntee was sentenced Thursday to two years in jail, plus three years probation, after pleading guilty two weeks ago to sexually assaulting 17 native and white boys in British Columbia over a period of 25 years.

The meetings will “help promote peace between the Oblates and this country’s first citizens,” said McIntee’s lawyer Thomas Dohm, a 73‑year‑old Catholic and former B.C. Supreme Court judge who defended McIntee at no charge.

The idea of face‑to‑face sessions was a “good part” of  Barnett’s sentence, said a Cariboo tribal council director.

Charlene Belleau said Shuswap bands will meet to consider whether to ask McIntee to their communities.

Belleau and other Indians have said they’re worried all Catholics are being seen negatively because of McIntee’s conviction, as well as a recent series of sex charges against about 20 other Canadian Catholic priests or brothers.

The Indians will eventually agree to meet with McIntee, said a priest from Williams Lake who works with native victims of alcohol and sex abuse.

“Thank God the (native) people are so forgiving and loving,” said Rev. Gerry Guillet. “They want to get on with their lives.

“These have been tough times for us and Father Harry (McIntee) and the native people.

 “Today, the overwhelming feeling is of release and that it’s finally over and justice has been done.”


Priest’s sex assaults called breach of trust: Lengthy jail term urged

The Vancouver Sun

Tuesday, May 16, 1989


WILLIAMS LAKE – Roman Catholic Rev. Harold McIntee began a 30-year string of sexual assaults by repeatedly sneaking into a dormitory full of pre-pubescent native Indian boys who were in his care and fondling them under their pyjama bottoms.

A courtroom packed with natives heard here Monday that about 10 years later, in the 1970s, the Oblate priest had moved on to oral sex with a teenage native boy from Duncan who had come to McIntee for counselling because he’d been sexually abused.

By the 1980s, McIntee was serving in Terrace and fondling or crawling into bed with Caucasian males in their late teens and early 20s who came to his parish for help in finding jobs or overcoming illness.

McIntee, 59, pleaded guilty Monday to 17 counts of sexual assault against males.

Crown counsel Lorne Fisher called McIntee’s acts “a breach of trust of the highest order” and asked the judge for a sentence of nine to 12 years in prison.

Defence counsel Thomas Dohm called McIntee “truthful” and “remorseful” and said his assaults were related to a drinking problem. Dohm suggested “a short custodial sentence (in prison), plus probation so he can undergo treatment.”

Provincial court Judge C. C. Barnett said one wouldn’t have to be a psychiatrist to know McIntee’s assaults “could have lasting negative impact” on the victims. The judge said he would sentence McIntee on June 1.

McIntee’s first 13 victims were native boys whom, like almost all B.C. natives in the 1950s and ’60s, were taken off their reserves eight months of the year and required to attend a residential school – in this case, the Catholic-run St. Joseph’s school south of Williams Lake.

More than 75 times while McIntee worked at the residential school and served as priest to Cariboo-area natives, the court heard, he either fondled and masturbated the 13 boys while they lay in their beds or he lured them up to his private room or into shower stalls, sometimes by promising soda pop.

Most of his residential school victims, aged 10 to 12, were loners, the prosecutor told the courtroom, which included some native victims from the Alkali Lake, Dog Creek, Mount Currie and Soda Creek bands. The young boys, Fisher said, couldn’t stand up for themselves as well as other more assertive boys.

When McIntee masturbated the boys or had them fondle him, the court heard he would often ask which other boys he could approach for more of the same (the 400-student residential school included native girls in a segregated area, but McIntee is not known to have assaulted females).

“These young boys felt they had no one to complain to,” Fisher said. “They were scared. . . . Their parents considered the Catholic church one of the pillars of the community and wouldn’t believe them. And some boys couldn’t tell their parents because they went home to houses where there was a lot of alcohol abuse.”

Some of the older, bolder boys began “cat-calling” at McIntee when he entered the dormitory and warned him not to come around their beds at night, Fisher said. Other boys made sure they slept on their stomach or wrapped their blankets so no one could get a hand under their pyjamas.

When McIntee moved from the residential school (which the Oblate order finally closed in 1979), he worked in Hope and then went to a rectory in Duncan connected to a Catholic school. He had a two-year sexual relationship with a native boy of 13 who had come to him to talk about how he had twice been sexually abused.

“The victim recalls McIntee hugged him and said what the victim had told him was all right,” Fisher said. McIntee then fondled the boy, took him to bed, took off his clothes and they had oral sex.

McIntee took a few years off from the priesthood after leaving Duncan in 1976, at which point he booked into some alcohol-abuse programs.

But when he ended up later at twin parishes in Terrace and Stewart in the early 1980s, he assaulted three young white men, including an 18-year-old from a devout Catholic family he befriended. The teenager one day had stomach troubles that caused McIntee to take off the youth’s pants because he wanted to see if “his testicles were swollen,” Fisher said.

“The man told him: ‘Stop. It’s not right for a priest to do this.’ Father McIntee apparently said: ‘I know. I’m sorry. I can’t help myself.’ “

In arguing for a lengthy jail term, Fisher compared McIntee’s crimes to those of Msgr. John Monaghan of Nelson who last year was sentenced to four years in prison after pleading guilty to 17 counts of sexual assault against young girls.

But Fisher said McIntee, unlike Monaghan, frequently assaulted his young victims repeatedly, 20 times each or more.

Defence counsel cited a psychiatrist’s report that McIntee came from an Ontario home with a distant, authoritarian father and added that “the loss of his (McIntee’s) status is a punishment . . . the Canada-wide publicity is a punishment and the fact he has lived with this all his life is a punishment.” Dohm also argued against a prison sentence by saying McIntee, as a child molester, would find himself at the bottom of the prison hierarchy and thus would end up serving “hard time.”

Fisher responded by saying: “The victims in the residential school were also at the bottom of the social hierarchy and in the court’s submission that’s not to be forgotten. Those victims had no place to go. Nowhere to turn. Nothing. They were there (in the residential school) and that’s where they had to stay. To this day some of those people have not been able to pull themselves out of the pain caused by those assaults.”


1964:  Fr. McIntee OMI had been assigned to Vancouver Island.


10 Responses to McIntee: Father Harold McIntee omi

  1. Gloria says:

    *I’ve posted some comments about Fr.McIntee beneath the write-up about Fr.John Eason, if anyone’s interested.



  3. PJ says:

    Rodney: I feel your pain and can only imagine how tough this is for you. You are entitled to your feelings and thoughts so no shame there. The shame belongs to that church, collars, and defense lawyers. God bless you for having the courage to come forward with all you’ve been through. Yes, may he and the others who have orchestrated such abuse burn in hell.

  4. Leona says:

    Rodney, I am so sorry to hear that you were abused by Fr. McIntee. I understand that a settlement does not make the long term effects of the abuse go away. I hear you when you say that everyday is a struggle.

    Are you still living in B.C? As a survivor of abuse by another oblate, Jack McCann (he and McIntee are facebook friends), I’m considering establishing a support network on the West Coast for those abused by clergy. I think there is great benefit to talking with other survivors. My experience at the S.N.A.P. conference this past summer, showed me the power of the collective for knowing that we’re not alone. Sylvia has my email address. If you’re interested in being part of a support group, or even just need a fellow survivor to talk to, she’s welcome to give you my address.

    Take care,


  5. Lucille Munro says:


    Just reading book written by Terry Glavin, God’s Own: The story of the Oblate Mission Church and Residential School Mission B.C.

    Started looking to see if Harold McIntee was still alive, he is at the following residence in Saskatoon, SK.

    Mazenod Residence, 1111 Saskatchewan Crescent West, Saskatoon, SK S7M 5J6
    Ph: 653-3113 Fax: 652-2720

    Rev. Harold McIntee…..

    He lives there with other Reverends, and I wonder if they know his history. Anyways I do not believe he should have the term “Rev.” in from of his name any longer, nor should he have such a “cushy place to live out his day”, while most of his victims may not have this luxury.

  6. Sylvia says:

    Convicted Oblate priest Father McIntee is now living in Alberta. According to the address listed in the 2015 Canadian Catholic Church Directory Father McIntee is in St. Albert Alberta and residing at Fort Lacombe, a residence for retired Oblate priest and brothers .

    (According to a September 2014 article in the St. Albert Gazette a new wing of the facility was to be closed by December 2014 due to “dropping member numbers and high health care costs.” The residents who now occupy the older building are those who do NOT require 24 hour nursing care. I don’t know if Father McIntee is still in the building or was one of those relocated “to other care facilities in St. Albert/Edmonton.”)

    And, yes, sad to say, Father McIntee is still a Roman Catholic priest.

  7. Richard says:

    I walked into St. Augustines Parish in 1983, while I was living in Kitsilano, looking for some spiritual guidance and hoping I could find some life in the church. I was 21 then and I was baptized Catholic before I could walk, but didn’t follow it. I connected with all the wrong people and made many mistakes growing up. I thought the church could offer me some peace and a gesture of good will. I did not hold out my hand nor look for any kind of financial assistance. I was hoping for some positive direction, but there was that dark cloud again this time disguised as a catholic priest named Fr McIntee. I went through the sacrament of reconciliation with him, but that was it for spiritual guidance. He told me everything has already happened. I didn’t really know what he was talking about, but I would find out.
    He told me he was injured when he was young by some farm equipment and lost a kidney. He asked god, that if he survived he would serve god.
    Thinking maybe there was hope in pursuing a religious vocation, my hopes were quietly cast aside after he invited me on a religious retreat for the weekend at Harrison HotSprings. I think it was February and there was snow on the outdoor pool deck. I swam some 40 lengths of the pool and was enjoying what I thought was a retreat. After some dinner we went back to the room, which had 2 single beds; we both put on some pyjamas and laid down in our beds. He then asked me if I would give him a hug. I started to feel uncomfortable, but gave him a hug in his bed. He squeezed me and it seemed like the meaning of this retreat had an implication. I got up and went to my bed and woke up the next morning thinking nothing else happened. I had lost that lingering excitement that gave me hope for the future. Now I don’t know what happened. The thought makes makes me shiver. My hopes to have a positive experience with god would come much later. I had to dig real deep and found some peace in myself. I still can’t trust people and instead I made a life for myself. I got married and now have two wonderful children. I believe in god now and realize I was looking in all the wrong places for years. Life is worth living. For the people who felt disinherited from god like I did, be kind and remember you owe it to yourself to seek the truth in god.

  8. Mike Fitzgerald says:

    As much as I feel for families during the loss of one member, I seeth at the church for CONTINUING to keep criminally convicted priests on staff. This is not right!! The church must defrock these sick people!
    Oh yes, I know! Where is my compassion for the poor ill father, right? Well, I do feel compassion and pity for these convicted paedophiles, and on occasion do pray for them.
    But, they MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE PRIESTHOOD!!!! Keeping people like this in a position of trust and authority weakens the entire church organization.
    Is it any wonder many of us are having such a difficult time re-kindling and/or re-claiming our faith? Mike.

  9. KP says:

    Father McIntee died on April 14, 2016 in Ottawa as the result of a head injury following a fall. He was two weeks short of his 86th birthday. According to his obituary he had been living in Ottawa since December 2015.

Leave a Reply