The Toronto Star
04 December 1990
A Roman Catholic priest and a parishioner struck a deal to keep allegations against him silent, says a Toronto church official.
As a result, the nature of the allegations and details of a “lengthy and very thorough” internal church investigation of Rev. Paul McCarthy will remain private, said Rev. Edward Boehler, judicial vicar for the Toronto Archdiocese in charge of sexual misconduct by the clergy.
Boehler refused yesterday to say whether the parishioner had been compensated in any way.
McCarthy’s loyal parishioners at Our Lady of Grace Church in Aurora say they are determined to find out why their pastor resigned on Sunday.
“If we could have some specifics it would go a long way to healing the wounds,” said Tom Dea, head of the church’s parish council.
The controversy is expected to be raised at tonight’s council meeting, he said.
McCarthy, a priest for almost 25 years, was pastor of the church since 1980 but was relieved of his duties last January. At that time, the church began an investigation into undisclosed allegations by a parishioner.
Toronto Archbishop Aloysius Ambrozic told parishioners Sunday that an investigation by both clerical and legal experts led him to accept McCarthy’s resignation.
Boehler said yesterday the priest and the parishioner could have chosen to settle the issue in court, but agreed to let the church handle it.