Former priest will stand trial in May on sex charges

Share Button

Halifax Chronicle Herald

Tue, Aug 30 – 4:55 AM

By BRIAN MEDEL Yarmouth Bureau

YARMOUTH — An entire week has been reserved next May for the trial of a former Yarmouth priest facing 50 sex-related charges against boys in the 1970s and ’80s.

Albert LeBlanc, 82, a one-time Roman Catholic priest who later became a probation officer, now lives in Bouctouche, N.B.

His trial is to begin next May 14 in Yarmouth provincial court.

No plea was entered Monday and the charges were not read in court.

LeBlanc is married and his wife is also in her 80s, it was revealed in a previous court appearance.

Yarmouth RCMP arrested LeBlanc on Jan. 6 in Bouctouche where court records say he has a home on Richard Avenue.

LeBlanc originally faced 40 charges of gross indecency and indecent assault spanning 15 years, starting in 1970. On March 15, it was revealed LeBlanc would face 10 more charges dating back to the 1970s.

The alleged victims in the first set of 40 charges were between the ages of seven and 11, an RCMP source revealed.

LeBlanc is represented by New Brunswick lawyer Gilles Lemieux. Neither man was in court Monday. Yarmouth lawyer Phil Star addressed the case on behalf of Lemieux.

LeBlanc remains free in New Brunswick. He has been ordered to have no contact with children under 16, with no exceptions. He must also have no contact with the complainants.

LeBlanc was ordained in Bouctouche in 1955 and served as a priest in Digby and in Melbourne, Yarmouth County, as well as in St. Ambrose Cathedral and Notre Dame de Fatima church, both in Yarmouth, said Marilyn Sweet of the Archdiocese of Halifax.

LeBlanc left the priesthood in 1975 and became a probation officer shortly after that, she said earlier this year.

The original complaint against LeBlanc was made in April 2010, the RCMP say.

bmedel@herald.ca)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *