Former priest Hoskins pleads not guilty to sex charges

Share Button
The Western Star (Corner Brook, Newfoundland)

TC Media
Published on December 02, 2014

Gary Gerard Hoskins, a former Roman Catholic priest with a prior conviction for sexually assaulting a young boy, has entered not guilty pleas to the latest charges against him.

The 56-year-old, who was a priest at St. Stephen’s Parish in Stephenville during the 1980s, currently has two charges of sexual assault against him.

Both offences involved a lone male victim and are alleged to have taken place in Stephenville some time between January 1984 and December 1986.

Hoskins, who now resides in Ontario, was not in the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador in Corner Brook when the matter was called Monday morning. His lawyer, Gerard Martin, did enter the two guilty pleas on his client’s behalf.

No trial date was set. A date for a pre-trial conference will be scheduled when the case is called again Jan. 12.

In 1997, Hoskins was sentenced to three months in prison for sexually assaulting another boy in Stephenville in 1985.

2 Responses to Former priest Hoskins pleads not guilty to sex charges

  1. Marion says:

    Not guilty. Not guilty. Not guilty.
    He would probably say the abused are guilty.
    Does anyone know where he is employed now in Ontario? I heard he was a social worker. Lord, have mercy.
    There seems to be no sense of sin in their minds so what’s the point of confession?

    • Sylvia says:

      I was working on where he was employed a while ago Marion. I wanted to be certain the Gary Ostler Info I found was for the Father Gary Ostler. I am in the process of posting it now – not quite finished but close. Once I have it all posted I will blog and give links to all the info. The info is on the page now, but it might make it easier to follow if I put them all together. If you check on the Father Gary Ostler page you will see the new links and info which have been added to date.

      I also checked today to find out is he is still a priest in the Roman Catholic Church. He was in June 2013. Someone said they thought he had been defrocked so I decided to check to see if there has been a change in his status in the past 18 months. I sent and email off to the Chancellor: No word back yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *