MR. JOSEPH SCIAMBRA
Former Postulant of the Society of St. John
- I am Joseph Sciambra and if called as a witness, I could and would completely testify to the facts set forth below.
- During the late spring or early summer of 2000, a group of young men from St. Gregory’s Academy, camped-out on the top of the mountain, located on the Society of St. John’s property in Shohola, Pennsylvania. Fr. Carlos Urrutigoity spent the night with the young men at their campsite. The next day, when I questioned Fr. Urrutigoity if it was cold during the night, he said “no” because he had shared a sleeping-bag with one of the young men.
- Several times during the spring and summer of 2000, I witnessed Fr. Urrutigoity providing alcoholic beverages to under-age young men.
- During the summer of 2000, I witnessed an intoxicated under-age young man leave Fr. Urrutigoity’s bedroom the day after Fr. Urrutigoity had provided this minor with large quantities of alcohol. The said minor became extremely ill.
- During the summer of 2000, I witnessed several young men leaving Fr. Urrutigoity’s bedroom dressed in their underclothes.
- During the summer of 2000, I questioned a young man about where he slept the previous night, he responded, in Fr. Urrutigoity’s bed. “Where did Father sleep?” I asked, he responded: that Father also slept in the same bed.
- I witnessed Fr. Urrutigoity encourage young men to share the same bed.
- During the second or third week of October 2000, a young man told me that he and another young man had slept with Fr. Urrutigoity in the same bed and that Fr. Urrutigoity made lewd comments during the night.
- During the second or third week of October 2000, I witnessed a young man cuddling with Fr. Urrutigoity on a bed.
I hereby declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the foregoing is true and correct.
Signed by Joseph Sciambra
Subscribed and sworn to before me, this 10th day of December, 2001.
Witnessed by John Quincy Masteller