Doughty: Brother Glenn Doughty omi

Share Button
Doughty Oblate publication OMI Lacombe Canada Vol 9 Number 9 2012 Fenruary

Brother Glenn Doughty (picture Oblate publication February 2012)

Doughty Oblate Directory 99

Brother Glenn Doughty omi (Oblate Directory 1999










Brother Glenn Doughty

Glenn William Doughty

Brother with the Oblates of Mary Immaculate (Oblates).  1991 sentenced to four years for sex abuse of four native boys at a residential school in Williams Lake, British Columbia in the 60s.

Served at the St. Joseph’s Residential School near Williams Lake, B.C.  According to media also serving at the school with him was Father Harold McIntee omi, an Oblate priest later charged and convicted.  Hubert O’Connor omi was Principal of the school.  O’Connor later became Bishop of Prince George, British Columbia.  In 1991 O’Connor stepped down after facing charges of sex abuse or assault of young native girls and fathering a child: he was convicted but the conviction was appealed.  A third trial was not pursued – the victims were weary of it all)

GUILTY plea  1997 for sex abuse of three boys in Thunder Bay, Ontario.  Sentenced to two years less a day.

Convicted again in 2002 for the sex abuse of students during his assignment at Kuper Island Residential School, British Columbia between 1967 and 1986 – sentenced to three years.


21 December 2000:   Reasons for Judgment: PJ et al v The Attorney General of Canada et al 2000  (regarding production of documents requested by victims from Kuper Island residential school)


The following information is drawn from The Oblate Directory 1999 (Oblate 99), Oblate newsletters (INFO Lacombe) and media (M).

2013:  Springhurst Community, Ottawa, Ontario

2012:  Springhurst Community, Ottawa, Ontario (INFO Lacombe)

1999:  Springhurst Community, Ottawa, Ontario (Oblate 99)

18 November 1997:  paroled

03 April 1995:  convicted

1992:  Breen Community, Toronto, Ontario (Oblate 99)

1990-1992:  On leave, Ottawa, Ontario (Oblate 99)

1989-1990:  St. Agnes Roman Catholic Church, Thunder Bay, Ontario (Oblate 99) – was working with young people in the diocese

 – was sexually abusing children while at St. Agnes.  In mid 90s entered a guilty plea

Serving as chaplain or student counsellor at Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Ontario when first charges were laid in 1990 (M)

1986-1989:  Sick leave, Ottawa, Ontario (Oblate 99)

1967-1986:  Kuper Island Residential School, British Columbia (Oblate 99)

08 September 1966:  Final Vows (as an Oblate Brother)

1960:   Assigned to William Lake, BC  (his first “obedience”) – he served as a dorm supervisor and band teacher at St. Joseph’s Residential School in Williams Lake (M)  (St. Joseph’s closed in 1981)

04 April 1938:  Born (Oblate 99)



INFO Lacombe  Volume 9, Number 22 28 May 2012

by Glenn Doughty OMI

I was asked to write a few of my thoughts and reflection about my fellow Oblate Brother, Francis MacDonald, O.M.I.
We first met in the fall of 1960 when I arrived in the West at Kamloops, B.C., on the way to my first obedience at Williams Lake, B.C.

We hit it off as friends immediately and have been good friends ever since.  We spent many happy hours together; sharing stories, our hopes, our dreams and many innovative ideas.  We were always good for a hearty laugh, which reminds me of the time we went into a store and started reading the greeting cards.  Well our “funny-bone” must have been particularly active that day because we started to laugh until tears came to our eyes and each card brought on another surge of our near hysterical laughter.  I think the store keeper was glad to see us go.

We would look forward to the annual Brother’s retreat at Sechelt, B.C., because it gave us time to recreate, swim, share what has been happening in our life and yes, get in some prayer and reflection.  We even managed to sneak in a game of cards during quiet period.

Brother Francis and I both enjoyed oil painting and I feel that it was his influence that first got me into painting.  As we had a great love for the First Nations peoples we painted portraits of some of the children as well as some of the beautiful scenery of British Columbia.  We learned from each other; technique, style and little tricks that enhanced our painting efforts.

We would have long chats about the history of the Oblates in B.C. and various missionaries we knew over the years.  Francis showed me the printing press that Father LeJean, O.M.I., used for printing the now famous ‘Kamloops WaWa’, a style of writing that helped the First Nations understand their catechism and news about the region.

During the past years, Francis and I met often at the Crescent and went for walks filled with lots of talking and laughing.  Francis was always there for me in the good times and the bad times. Francis would drag me to many and various flea markets, where we would walk for acres and I just cannot remember seeing Francis buying anything.  He enjoyed watching sports and was relatively good at golf.  He took me to a golf driving range a few times but I could never manage to hit the ball, but it was good being with him just the same.

Then came the day that Francis got a computer.  I helped him with many tips and tricks I had picked up over the years.  Francis was eager to learn and took a while to get the hang of it.  However, in time he was able to design and print Birthday and Anniversary cards for his many friends.  I would look forward on my Birthday to getting his latest creation, even if it was about a month early.  They were great and very thoughtful.
Brother Francis had a great love for the Oblates and for the natives.  Oblates and natives would often make it a point to drop in and see Francis – he loved it when that happened and would tell me about their visits and how much he appreciated them.

I shall miss visiting Brother Francis but look forward to when we will have a visit in heaven.


Victims of abuse tell their stories to Truth and Reconciliation Commission in Duncan

Vancouver Sun

16 March 2012

By JUDITH LAVOIE,   March 16, 2012 2:29 AM

DUNCAN — The anger was palpable Thursday as 64-year-old Louis Moses Lucas sat between supporters and disclosed his abuse by priests and nuns.

“Residential schools were nothing but the rape of our people. They were sexual terrorists,” Lucas told commissioner Marie Wilson of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission at hearings.

“It was never a school to me. It was a jail,” said Lucas, blaming the Catholic Church and federal government for not helping the 150,000 First Nations, Métis and Inuit children in Canada who were taken from their families and placed in residential schools.

“This is my statement to Canada. Saying they didn’t know is a bunch of bull—. It was nothing but jail. Genocide of our people,” he said.

Emotions ran high as about 250 people, both aboriginal and non-aboriginal, listened to harrowing stories, many about the Catholic-run Kuper Island Indian Residential School near Chemainus.

Tissue boxes were distributed, helpers provided support, and at least one woman was rushed out of Quw’utsun Cultural Centre sobbing uncontrollably.

Some held bowls to catch the tears.

“Our belief is that tears shed are sacred and powerful. These basins are to collect the tears and carry them away,” Chuck Seymour said.

Telling the stories is vital, said Cowichan Tribes Chief Harvey Alphonse in an interview.

“The legacy of abuse still remains in our community, and one way to heal is to speak about what bothers you,” said Alphonse, 62, who was abused for seven years at Kuper Island and at St. Mary’s school in Mission.

The schools left a dysfunctional society, said Alphonse, who believes cultural revitalization is essential.

“I didn’t start the healing process until I was 42 years old, and anger was directed at my family,” he said.

A breakthrough came with a book that described experiences almost identical to his own.

“I couldn’t get past the first five pages without rolling tears,” he said, as tears welled in his eyes.

Effects trickle down generations, said Lana Jack, describing an abusive childhood at the hands of two survivors.

“I can only imagine how many times they were ripped from their sleep by their hair [by the memories], but, on my mother’s deathbed, she made me promise

I would be the one that could work in forgiveness and love,” she said. “We have got to change our communities for our children.”

A hush fell as Raymond (Tony) Charlie traced his experiences from the first rape in the early 1960s to the conviction of Brother Glen Doughty in 2002 after 13 former Kuper Island residents testified against him.

The first rape was shocking, Charlie said.

“I was really scared, and I didn’t tell anyone,” he said.

“Then some individual accosted my younger brother and brought him to his room. He tried his sick actions with my brother, who was very young, not even a teenager. He wouldn’t co-operate. Instead, he ran to the window and jumped out of it,” Charlie said, his voice breaking.

His brother survived because he landed on a roof, where he waited hours to be rescued.

Both Charlie brothers were later abused by another priest, but neither talked about it until three decades later.

“We suffer from poor parenting skills and broken families and this mess is directly related to the residential school system,” Charlie said.

“Shame on Canada and shame on the church for your wanton neglect of survivors.”

Speakers talked about lives of shame, alcoholism and suicidal thoughts, but, for most, their disclosures were followed by a need to find a way to forgive and heal.

Elmer James was taken from his home by “two men in black” when he was six years old.

James said the abuse by nuns and brothers left him feeling worthless.

“But it’s not in our culture to take revenge on the people who hurt you,” he said. “I have learned to let go and not be ashamed of who I really am. …Be proud of who you are.”

Jenny Martin brought a red rattle to the table.

“I was stolen and imprisoned in Kuper Island from 1958 to 1964,” she said.

“I lack parenting skills, I lack communication skills. I lack self-esteem. I lack confidence. I had nearly no cultural skills. I didn’t know who my relatives were. My whole life was robbed. I hated God.”

The commission’s aim is to tell Canadians about residential school history and facilitate

reconciliation among aboriginal communities, churches and governments.

“The degree of ignorance as a nation has been huge,” said commissioner Wilson.

A regional event will be held in Victoria April 13 and 14.



Info Lacombe, Volume 9, Number 09  [February 2012]

When asked, ‘how long have you been painting?’ Without hesitation Glenn replied, “All my life. “  He received a push forward when he worked in advertizing and window decorations for eight department stores. What began as a way to make a living became an opportunity to discover his own creativity and artistic talents.

It was in the mid sixties, in central BC, that he came across some unused paints and decided to give painting a try. He found that painting was not difficult. His first paintings were impressive and he received strong encouragement from well known artists in Central BC.

The scope of his work is ‘everything.’ His work is a good cross section of human interest: people, nature scenes and the everyday things of our lives. Now with his work complete in the Oblate archives he is very active painting in his small studio at Springhurst. He admits that he is very willing to sell his paintings when the opportunity presents itself.

From time to time we will publish Glen’s work in our INFO


Former Priest Sentenced For Sex Assault

The Toronto Globe and Mail

Oct 10, 2002

A former Roman Catholic brother was sentenced Thursday to three years in prison after pleading guilty to a dozen sex-related charges.

Glen Doughty, 64, admitted to 11 counts of indecent assault and one count of buggery.

The three-year sentence was recommended by both the Crown and defence.

“Every day I think of it at some time and I pray for them,” Mr. Doughty said before being sentenced. “I hope they can find it in their hearts to some day be able to forgive me.”

Mr. Doughty was convicted of assaulting young boys at church-run B.C. residential schools on Kuper Island and Williams Lake between 1963 and 1972.

Mr. Doughty sat quietly in B.C. Supreme Court as seven of his 12 victims described being sexually assaulted.

In a departure from the usual practice, the seven men addressed Justice James Shabbits directly with their victim impact statements.

“Nobody who heard these submissions could fail to be moved by them,” Mr. Shabbits said. “They reflect the enormity of the lasting consequences of the offences.”

One man named Shadow Hawk, the only one not covered by a publication ban, cried during parts of his victim impact statement. He was abused by Mr. Doughty at the residential school in Williams Lake between 1959 and 1967.

Shadow Hawk described how most of his family died in connection to alcohol and that following the abuse by Mr. Doughty his own drinking led to a life of chaos, including suicide attempts.

“I hated being around people, but I had to be around people because I didn’t want to be alone,” he said, sobbing.

He said he experiences relief when recalling his unsuccessful suicide attempts.

“It all means you did not win and my story is not being told by others, but by me,” he said.

At one point Mr. Doughty wiped tears from his eyes as another man repeated a similar story: a life of loneliness, pain, distrust, suicide attempts and alcoholism.

All of the men described either being molested in their beds by Mr. Doughty as children, or being brought to his room to be molested.

The Kuper Island school opened in 1890 and closed in 1975. The Williams Lake school opened around the same time and closed in 1981.


Ottawa Oblate brother sought on B.C sex abuse charges

The Ottawa Citizen

02 June 2000

Aaron Sands

A Canadawide arrest warrant has been issued for a Catholic brother and previously convicted child molester who now lives in an Oblate order residence in east end Ottawa.

Glen Doughty, 62, was charged Wednesday with 36 sex offences for abusing native children at two church-run residential schools in British Columbia between 1963 and 1972.

As of last night, the man had not been arrested.

A man at the residence said last evening that Mr. Doughty had spent the day “coming and going” from the quiet home at 130 Springhurst Ave.

“I think he’s aware that he’s wanted,” said the man, who wouldn’t give his name. “But he’s out in his car right now. He knows what’s going on. I think he might turn himself in.”

Staff Sgt. Peter Eakins of the RCMP’s residential school task force said Mr. Doughty’s lawyer had indicated his client would return to B.C. voluntarily and turn himself in to police.

Mr. Doughty was employed at the schools as a boys’ supervisor and child-care worker.

In 1990, Mr. Doughty became the second Catholic worker in B.C. to be convicted of sex crimes at residential schools. He was sentenced to one year in jail after he pleaded guilty to molesting boys at a school near Williams Lake, B.C., about 500 kilometres north of Vancouver.

In March, the Oblate order in Ottawa warned parishioners that the Oblate-owned St. Joseph’s Church on Laurier Avenue may have to be sold to pay debts from lawsuits against the residential schools.

The new charges against Mr. Doughty are the first laid by the task force, which was formed in 1995 to investigate complaints of physical and sexual abuse at the 14 church-run schools that once operated in B.C. It is estimated 105,000 native children attended the live-in schools from the 1880s until the last was closed outside Regina in 1996.


New charges filed against Oblate brother Doughty: The five-year-old task force into B.C.’s residential schools expects to announce more charges in the coming months

The Vancouver Sun

02 June 2000

Douglas Todd

Oblate Brother Len Doughty has been charged with sexually abusing 12 young native people in the 1960s at residential schools near Williams Lake and on Vancouver Island.

The 36 counts against Doughty are the first of many involving other church officials that are expected to be announced in coming months by B.C.’s residential school task force, RCMP Staff Sergeant Peter Eakins said Thursday.

The five-year-old task force has received 3,400 tips from natives who attended the residential schools, Eakins said. It has identified more than 120 suspects, although more than half are now dead.

Doughty, 62, who has agreed through his lawyer to return from Ottawa to face the charges, was convicted in 1991 of four counts of sexually abusing young native boys at St. Joseph’s Catholic residential school near Williams Lake.

He was sentenced to one year in jail. In sentencing, the judge took into account that Doughty had been battling a drinking problem, had been abused himself as a child and had received 25 letters of support.

Doughty worked as a dormitory supervisor at St. Joseph’s under the principalship of Father Hubert O’Connor, who would later go on to become Catholic bishop of Prince George.

O’Connor was convicted in the mid-1990s of abusing young native women at St. Joseph’s, but the convictions were overturned on appeal. He did, however, admit to having sex with his former students.

When Doughty pleaded guilty in 1991, he became the second Catholic clergyman in Canada to be found guilty of molesting children who attended the country’s 80 federally funded residential schools, more than half of which were run by the Oblates.

The first Catholic official to be convicted was Brother Harold McIntee, also of St. Joseph’s.

Since those first convictions against Doughty and McIntee, more than a dozen Catholics, and numerous clergy from other denominations, have been convicted of abusing residential-school students.

The wave of sex charges against church officials that began in B.C. is credited with provoking a national debate on the legacy of Canada’s residential schools, which were financed by the federal government but run mainly by Catholics, Anglicans and the United Church.

As a result of the molestation charges, native Indians across Canada have launched more than 8,000 lawsuits seeking damages for alleged mistreatment.

Some of the charges announced this week against Doughty relate to events at St. Joseph’s residential school, but most are alleged to have occurred at Oblate-run Kuper Island residential school, 40 kilometres southwest of Vancouver.

The new charges against Doughty will also have an impact on a complex jurisdictional battle raging between the RCMP and the federal justice department.

By announcing the charges, Eakins said the RCMP believe they have strengthened the case that the federal justice department should not have the right to obtain the task force’s mountain of investigative reports.

The justice department has sought the RCMP’s files to help it counter native lawsuits against the Indian Affairs department. But the RCMP, Eakins said, believes its investigations will be put in jeopardy if its files are indiscriminately released to a third party.

He said the issue of whether the files should be released to others will be argued Monday in B.C. Supreme Court in Victoria, in a civil case involving former students of Kuper Island residential school.


New sex charges

CBC News

Last Updated: Friday, June 2, 2000 | 12:29 PM ET

Advocates for survivors of abuse at B.C. residential schools say they’re relieved that more sex charges have been laid against a former Oblate brother. Sixty-two-year-old Glen Doughty is facing 36 new charges dating back to the 1960’s and 70’s, when he was a supervisor at two Catholic schools in B.C.

He’s already been convicted and then released after an earlier trial. But now 13 other men have come forward with their stories of sexual abuse.

The former chief of the Alkali Lake First Nation, Charlene Belleau sat through Doughty’s first trial on sexual abuse charges. She helped the victims tell their stories and then put their lives back together.

“To me, there’s some sense of relief that maybe Doughty’s days in court are not at an end, and that he’ll be held accountable for whatever crimes he may have committed on children,” she says.

Doughty was a boy’s supervisor and a child care worker between 1963 and 1972 at the school in Williams Lake and another on Kuper Island near Chemainus.

Doughty will make his first B.C. court appearance on these new charges next week.

Police expect to lay other charges soon in casesÿB ÿBinvolving another three residential schools.


Abuse lawsuits put church at risk, Oblates warn: Parishioners receive letter from order that owns church

The Ottawa Citizen

30 March 2000

Bob Harvey

The Oblate order has warned parishioners that Ottawa’s downtown St. Joseph’s Church may someday have to be sold to pay debts resulting from residential school lawsuits.

In a letter distributed to parishioners, Rev. Chris Rushton, the superior of St. Peter’s Province of the Roman Catholic religious order, said there is a slim possibility the lawsuits could lead to the bankruptcy of the Oblate province, which owns St. Joseph’s and adjacent property on Laurier Street.

“We are also aware of the vulnerability of our assets, including St. Joseph’s,” said the letter.

“It (bankruptcy) is a remote possibility, but I wanted to be totally up front with (the parishioners),” Father Rushton said yesterday.

He said St. Peter’s province is in the last stages of winding up lawsuits resulting from the convictions of three Oblate members on charges of abusing teenage boys.

However, Father Rushton said St. Joseph’s is not endangered by the lawsuits involving Rev. Leonard Paradis, in Labrador; Rev. Ed MacNeil in Northern Ontario, and Glen Doughty, an Oblate brother who worked in residential schools in Thunder Bay and British Columbia.

He said that what may someday pose a risk, however, are possible lawsuits resulting from the Oblate province’s supervision of a residential school in Shubenacadie, N.S., from 1957 until 1967, when it closed. Former residents of the school launched a class-action suit against the government last year.

“I hear there may be something coming,” said Father Rushton.

The Oblates built the first small church on the Sandy Hill site in 1857, but the current church building at Wilbrod and Cumberland dates from 1932.

St. Joseph’s is one of only four churches in the Ottawa diocese that are owned directly by religious orders instead of the diocese.

The Oblates are now planning to build a multi-storied building adjacent to the church.

It will include retail outlets on the ground floor, and residences on the upper floor, including condominiums as well as residences for retired Oblates and some low-income housing.

Father Rushton said the development would help St. Joseph’s, as well as provide a secure retirement for aging members of the order. St. Peter’s province currently includes 100 priests and brothers in both Canada and Peru, about a quarter of whom are of retirement age.

To date, former residents of native residential schools have launched about 7,000 lawsuits against the federal government, charging physical, and sexual abuse as well as cultural abuse arising from forced assimilation into a European culture.

Catholic organizations are expected to be sued for damages by the government or the residents themselves in about half of those lawsuits, said Gerry Kelly, an adviser to the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops on aboriginal affairs.

Since the eight Canadian provinces or divisions of the Oblates were involved in most of the Catholic residential schools, they will likely be named in most of the approximately 3,500 lawsuits involving Catholic-run schools, said Mr. Kelly.

Although no religious organization has yet been forced to declare bankruptcy as a result of residential school lawsuits, the Anglican dioceses of Cariboo, in B.C., and Qu’Appelle in Saskatchewan, as well as the Catholic diocese of Whitehorse have all been forced to use up most of their financial reserves for legal fees resulting from residential school lawsuits.

The bishop of the Cariboo diocese, James Cruickshank, has also warned his parishioners that Anglican churches might have to be sold to pay debts resulting from a decision that found the diocese, the national Anglican church and the federal government liable for damages in cases of abuse nearly 30 years ago at a residential school in Lytton, B.C.

Churches began running schools for natives in Canada as early as the 1600s, but between 1911 and 1969, the government contracted the Anglican, United, Catholic and Presbyterian churches to run the schools.

The last church-run school closed in 1986.


Residential school settlement applauded: Pact between 10 Indian men, Catholic church and government a “historical breakthrough.”

The Vancouver Sun

04 November 1998

Douglas Todd, Sun Religion Reporter

All sides are cheering a precedent-setting agreement between the Catholic church, the federal government and 10 native Indian men who were sexually assaulted as students at a B.C. residential school.

The out-of-court settlement, which each party is calling an “historical breakthrough,” marks the first time in Canada the federal government, a major religious denomination and native Indians have found a way to resolve one of the hundreds of civil lawsuits that have been launched over the country’s native residential-school system.

“This is all good,” said Father Vincent LaPlante, spokesman for the Oblate brothers who ran St. Joseph’s residential school near Williams Lake, where dozens of young native boys were abused by church officials in the 1950s and ’60s.

The settlement — which was reached just before a court case was to start in Vancouver this week — includes an undisclosed financial payout to the native men of Alkali Lake and Canim Lake, and apologies from the Catholic church, Oblate Brothers and federal government.

As well, all the parties have agreed to take part in a healing circle, which will be held at the same time as the official blessing of Alkali Lake’s newly renovated Catholic church.

“We’re all happy about it,’ Laplante said. “We know the past can’t be changed, but we can do something for the future. The native people want to rebuild and restore the good relationship with the Catholic church that was there for about 125 years.”

Native Indians across Canada have now filed more than 1,600 lawsuits against the federal government and the various Christian denominations that ran Canada’s 130 native residential schools until the last ones were disbanded in the 1970s.

The 10 complainants in the lawsuit settled this week were sexually abused at St. Joseph’s by either Oblate brother Len Doughty or Harold McIntee. The 10 men, plus the estate of another victim who committed suicide, claimed damages for sexual assault and what they charged was the residential school’s general attack on native culture.

Former Prince George Bishop Hubert O’Connor was principal of St. Joseph’s at the time Doughty and McIntee worked there.

O’Connor — who recently had several sex convictions related to St. Joseph’s overturned on appeal — was accused in the native men’s lawsuit of ignoring complaints they were being assaulted while sleeping, boarding, working and taking classes at St. Joseph’s.

The native men’s lawyer, Don Sorochan, said the negotiations that led to the Catholic church and federal government accepting “vicarious liability” for the sexual assaults came about largely because of the extra efforts of B.C. Supreme Court Chief Justice Bryan Williams.

“He negotiated it in two days. He’s a leader in trying to offer an alternative way to resolve these disputes,” Sorochan said, noting that Williams was the lawyer who represented the B.C. government in treaty negotiations with the Nisga’a.

Shawn Tupper, who is the federal government’s senior policy adviser on native issues, said he would not be surprised if the out- of-court settlement in the St. Joseph’s case helped lead to the early resolution of numerous other potentially lengthy residential school lawsuits.

Sorochan, LaPlante and Tupper also said they were impressed by how the native complainants wanted to put the case behind them. “The bottom line is that all the parties were able to find some common ground so that we can get on with the healing of the victims. We want to allow these guys to get on with the closure they seek,” Tupper said.


Lon Wood

The Victoria Times-Colonist

01 December 1993

[emphasis added]

Gulf Islands neighbors symbolize gulf twixt two cultures GULF ISLANDS – two words evoking images of genteel liv ing amid dense forests and rolling meadows dotted with sheep. Saltspring, Galiano, Pender, Mayne, Saturna, Thetis, Kuper. Kuper? ” Is it a a Gulf Island?” asked the receptionist at the Islands Trust office Tuesday. Yes, I said. “No,” she replied. “It must be outside the border.” A colleague who lives on Saltspring Island couldn’t name a Gulf Island the size of Esquimalt and inhabited by nearly 600 people. When told it was Kuper, he asked its location – less than three kilometres off the northern tip of the island he’s lived on for 17 years.

Kuper Island is, indeed, a Gulf Island. At 728 hectares it is the sixth largest of a group numbering in the hundreds. Named after Augustus Kuper, commander of HMS Thetis, it sits a 90-minute drive north of Victoria and a half-hour ferry ride off Chemainus.

Thetis Island – the size of Oak Bay municipality – was once joined to Kuper Island by a wooden footbridge. The inter-island link is gone and low-tide access by foot is now impossible because the channel has been dredged.

The First Nations people of Kuper are not found at the community picnics and church camp barbecues of Thetis Island. Nor do 300 Thetis residents – or a like number of non-resident cottage owners there – turn up at Kuper Island festivals and longhouse celebrations.

Kuper has one non-native resident – caretaker of a 40-hectare farm not part of Indian lands – while Thetis has a single native resident in Haida artist Bill Reid, who keeps a home there.

This week I visited Kuper Island for the first time – after 25 years of ties to Thetis, where with neighbors including a retired corporate executive, provincial deputy minister, former school principal, sitting Supreme Court judge and newly-elected Reform Party MP, I am within shouting distance of the Spune’lu’h’uutth people who invited me to take part in a writing workshop.

The new adult learning centre sits atop the ashes of Kuper Island Indian Residential School, built by the Roman Catholic Church in 1890; razed in 1975.

The institution, one of 10 residential schools in B.C., housed 100 children age six to 15 – brought from around southern Vancouver Island to get “education and a home” and “a higher standard of living away from the old-time, carefree, careless ways.” Today, , some 80 adults are registered in native language and cultural programs at the Kuper Learning Centre. After my offering on the virtues and techniques of writing letters, journals, newsletters and creative pieces, their talk turned to ghosts still haunting the lives of some of them and other Kuper islanders who attended the residential school.

Fleeing boys and girls drowned falling from canoes or logs launched from the beach; as many as three children hanged themselves in the red-barn of a gym within a month one year.

Those who remained learned to make shoes and to sing in English and in French – never in their native tongue. To speak it earned them whippings.

Brother Glenn Doughty – one of 35 Catholic brothers and sisters and lay teachers at the Kuper school – said in a Christmas 1970 Colonist article that his main duty as dormitory supervisor was “to put them to bed, get them up, feed them, spank them and love them.” In 1991, Doughty – now 54 – was jailed one year on four counts of gross indecency involving boys at St. Joseph Mission School near Williams Lake.

Alphonse Harris, 81, was a student at the Kuper school from 1912 to 1915. “Some priests would often bother us when we slept,” Harris, of Shell Beach near Ladysmith, said Tuesday. “Sometimes they’d make us go to their rooms.” In the Oct. 22 Times-Colonist appeared a short item on a 100-member search party led by RCMP to find 34-year- old Mark Edwards of Kuper Island. A week later he was found – hanged in woods below the former Catholic school; near the old government wharf; above the mud flats where Kuper clams are dug.

Edwards’s younger sister told me Tuesday her brother was driven to his death by shame he could never talk about after falling victim to indecency and sexual assault as a student at the residential school in the ’60s. “He wasn’t the only one,” she said. “Lots of young men here have killed their pain this way.”


Natives bemoan loss of ‘good cop’ B.C. Mountie’s investigation of mission school led to abuse convictions

The Toronto Globe and Mail

15 January 1993

Deborah Wilson

WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. While a provincial justice inquiry heard a litany of native complaints this week about police treatment, one “good cop” was cleaning out his desk.

Constable Robert Grinstead leaves the Williams Lake detachment of the RCMP at the end of his shift today to take on new responsibilities at the force’s immigration and passport section in Milton, Ont.

Constable Grinstead’s biggest case was the investigation of a now- closed mission school for Indian children that resulted in sexual-abuse charges against three Roman Catholic Church officials. The three, including Bishop Hubert O’Connor, were former teachers at St. Joseph’s school near this city of about 10,000 in central British Columbia.

Oblate priest Harold McIntee was convicted and sentenced to prison in 1989 on 17 charges of sexual assault of young males. Oblate Brother Glenn Doughty was convicted of four counts of gross indecency involving boys at the school. Last month, a B.C. Supreme Court judge quashed four charges, including rape and indecent assault, against Bishop O’Connor because of procedural faults by the prosecution. That decision is being appealed by the Crown.

Constable Grinstead’s departure is lamented by native leaders, who say he earned the respect of the sizable community of Shuswap and Chilcotin Indians during his 12 years in Williams Lake.

Traditionally, the native community has had a deep-seated distrust of the non-native legal system and its officers, stemming from generations of unresolved grievances. In response, the province struck an inquiry to hear allegations by the 15 Indian bands in the Williams Lake area of unequal treatment under the justice system.

But no one has any complaints about Constable Grinstead.

“He definitely is a very good cop,” Bev Sellars, chief of the Soda Creek band, said in an interview. “He’s bent over backward, 100 per cent, to try to help the native people around here,” Ms. Sellars said. “He’s one of the ones who really believe in justice.”

Former students’ memories of how Father McIntee molested boys at their bedside and of how Brother Doughty called them to his room and plied them with liquor to lower their defences had remained buried for more than two decades.

Those experiences might never have become public if Constable Grinstead had not been prompted to investigate further after a discussion with a former student in 1986. The man, who was charged with sexual assault, told the constable that his misconduct might have something to do with his early experience of being molested by Father McIntee.

Constable Grinstead, a 37-year-old whose manner is disarmingly open, said it was the first time he had heard any hint of abuse at the former residential school, which was closed in 1979.

The Shuswap man, who was interviewed this week on the condition that he not be identified, said he had talked about the abuse before, but Constable Grinstead was the first to take him seriously.

He said he was initially reluctant to discuss it because he thought a complaint would harm the church. “At that time, I couldn’t realize that, hey, the church hurt me,” he said.

However, he said Constable Grinstead was concerned that Father McIntee might still be abusing others, and that overcame his reluctance to talk. “He said, ‘That priest could be out there doing what he did to you.’ Right away, I agreed to do something about it.”

Although Constable Grinstead could have ignored the accused man’s comment about childhood abuse, he said he felt he had no choice but to contact other potential victims and advise them that they could do something in response, even after so many years.

As he tracked down and interviewed former students in a growing file of victims from all over the province, Constable Grinstead learned that Father McIntee had abused other children.

Evidence at Father McIntee’s trial showed that he had sexually assaulted, among others, a 13-year-old native boy on Vancouver Island and three non-native teen-agers.

As Constable Grinstead continued the investigation, much of it on his own time, names of other suspects emerged.

He acknowledged in an interview this week that the residential school investigation “was a difficult task.” It meant approaching dozens of people who may not have resolved the emotional turmoil caused by the abuse, he said.

“I was often dealing with victims who were crying as they were sitting there telling me the horrific things that had happened to them,” he said.

Since he had limited training in counselling, Constable Grinstead said, he found it frustrating to “leave these people in their puddle of tears” at the end of an interview. He said he referred some of the troubled people to band councillors and social workers for further support.

He said he is happy to move closer to his parents in Ontario after 12 years in Williams Lake, but he said he is disappointed that charges against Bishop O’Connor were dropped.

Constable Grinstead, who spent five years on the abuse case, said that what troubles him most is that the women who alleged the abuse never got a chance to tell their stories.

“The natives have lost a very, very close friend,” RCMP Sergeant Bob Chamberlain said yesterday.

“He was extremely upset, almost at the point of tears, over the case (of Bishop O’Connor) and the situation,” Sgt. Chamberlain said, adding that Constable Grinstead’s ability to listen and to gain the trust of the native community was key in obtaining information about the abuse that eventually resulted in the convictions.


Priest’s sentence for molesting boys called too lenient

The Vancouver Sun

20 June 1991

Douglas Todd

Catholic Brother Glenn Doughty was sentenced Friday to one year in jail for molesting four young native boys who attended St. Joseph’s residential school near Williams Lake.

A Cariboo native leader said the sentence was too lenient, but B.C. Supreme Court Justice Ross Collver said Doughty has made “great changes” in his life since molesting the boys while working at the Oblate-run residential school in the 1960s.

“Most people with vows of chastity are able to subvert (sexual) feelings, but history shows us everyone cannot do that,” the judge said of Doughty, 52, whom the court heard has a drinking problem and was sexually abused as a child.

Doughty is the second Catholic official to plead guilty to molesting natives at St. Joseph’s.

Doughty’s friends provided the court with 25 letters of support. The judge said Doughty has gone to graduate school and become, “ironically,” a counsellor. “He is not likely to pose a threat to any person in the future.”

The judge recommended psychological treatment for Doughty at Stave Lake provincial correctional facility.

A spokesman for the Cariboo Tribal Council, however, said she spoke to some of Doughty’s victims after the judge handed down his sentence. “That made me think the sentence was too lenient,” said Charlene Belleau.

In deciding on Doughty’s sentence, Collver said he was influenced greatly by Judge Cunliffe Barnett’s two-year sentence, plus probation, against Oblate Harold McIntee, who pleaded guilty to 17 counts of molesting young boys, most of them natives at St. Joseph’s.

Natives have always felt McIntee’s 1989 sentence was too light, said Belleau.

The Cariboo Tribal Council, she said, should have done what it could at the time McIntee was sentenced to call for an appeal. (McIntee, 61, was freed on parole after serving 15 months.)

“I really would have liked to see a three-year probation period. I don’t think the justice system realizes how sick these people are,” said Belleau, a key organizer of last week’s first national conference on native residential schools.

Cariboo natives question the sincerity of the Catholic churches’ professed concern about sexual, emotional and physical abuse that took place at the 46 residential boarding schools run by members of the Catholic Oblate order, Belleau said.

While senior Catholic officials claim they’re listening to natives who say the schools led to high rates of alcoholism, family breakdown and suicide, Belleau said the church also hires “high-priced” lawyers to defend its priests.

The church paid for the services of prominent Vancouver criminal lawyer Ace Henderson to defend Doughty.

“I really get resentful of the whole Catholic church system and how hypocritical it is,” said Belleau.


Priest Sentenced

Canadian Press

June 29, 1991  13.55 EDT


Roman Catholic Brother Glenn Doughty was sentenced Friday to one year in prison for molesting four native boys at St. Joseph’s residential school near here in the 1960s.

Doughty, who pleaded guilty to four counts of sexually touching the youngsters, is the second church official found guilty of sexual offences against students at the Cariboo school.

A Cariboo native leader said the sentence was too lenient, but B.C.  Supreme Court Justice Ross Collver said Doughty, 52, has made “great changes” in his life since molesting the boys.

“Most people with vows of chastity are able to subvert (sexual) feelings, but history shows us everyone cannot do that.”

The court also heard Doughty has a drinking problem and was sexually abused as a child.

In deciding on sentence, Collver said he was influenced greatly by Judge Cunliffe Barnett’s two-year sentence, plus probation, against Oblate Harold McIntee, who pleaded guilty to 17 counts of molesting young boys, most of them natives at St. Joseph’s.


Oblate Brother shocks court with guilty pleas on charges of gross indecency to natives

The Vancouver Sun

03 April 1991

Douglas Todd

WILLIAMS LAKE – A Roman Catholic official surprised a courtroom packed with 50 Indians Tuesday when he pleaded guilty to molesting young native boys at St. Joseph’s residential school near here.

Oblate Brother Glenn Doughty, 52, stared at the floor and quietly said “guilty” four times when asked how he pleaded to four counts of gross indecency against natives attending St. Joseph’s between 1961 and 1967.

Doughty is the second Roman Catholic official to admit he committed sex crimes at St. Joseph’s.

“It came as a complete surprise,” said Bev Sellars, speaking for the Cariboo Tribal Council and the four victims, who are now aged in their 40s. “The victims felt relief they would not have to re-live the pain by testifying.”

After Doughty pleaded guilty, some of the victims (who can’t be identified) smiled and shook hands with local Oblate priest Rev. Gerry Guillet.

Although Indians have a good relationship with Guillet, who has personally apologized to natives, Sellars said many Chilcotin and Shuswap still feel bitter toward the Catholic church.

Oblate Rev. Harold McIntee, 61, pleaded guilty in 1989 to molesting 11 native boys at St. Joseph’s in the early 1960s. McIntee was sentenced to two years in prison.

Prince George Bishop Hubert O’Connor has been charged with six counts of molesting girls while he served as St. Joseph’s principal in the early 1960s. O’Connor is the highest Catholic official in Canada to be charged with sexual offences.

B.C. Supreme Court Justice Ross Collver was told Tuesday that Doughty sexually assaulted some of his young victims while they slept in their bunks at the defunct St. Joseph’s, one of 46 native residential schools at one time run by the Oblates in Canada.

After urging one ailing native teenager to take a “hot bath,” Crown prosecutor Lorne Fischer said Doughty fondled the boy.

Before that and other abusive acts, the prosecutor said, the native youths considered Doughty “a role model.” Afterward, Fischer said, the boys “lost trust in Brother Doughty,” were confused and felt hurt.

Most students lived 10 months of the year at St. Joseph’s, where Fischer said Doughty served as a dormitory supervisor and band teacher. “The only people the young men had to go to were the priests and brothers at the school,” said Fischer. “Most had troubled homes.”

Defence lawyer Ace Henderson, a noted Vancouver criminal lawyer hired by the Catholic church to represent Doughty, said in court he will argue at a sentencing hearing June 14 that Doughty was merely a “clerk” to the principal at the time of the sexual offences.

“He was not a teacher or a dorm supervisor. He was not in a position of trust.”

The maximum sentence for gross indecency is five years. Doughty, who was a chaplain at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ont., until he was charged one year ago, has been living recently in an Oblate residence in Ottawa. Doughty is free on his own recognizance.

McIntee was freed on parole last October after serving 15 months of his two-year sentence. Sellars said McIntee’s sentence was “too light.”

She said she did not know if Cariboo natives would take up Judge Cunliffe Barnett’s unusual suggestion that McIntee’s sentence include a face-to-face meeting with his victims.

RCMP Const. Bob Grinstead, credited by the prosecutor with conducting the three-year investigation that led to the convictions of McIntee and Doughty, said Tuesday outside the court his investigation into sex abuse at St. Joseph’s is continuing.

The Cariboo Tribal Council, meanwhile, is organizing for June 18 the first-ever national native conference on church-run residential schools, which the federal government financed through most of the 20th century.


Missionary order launches own inquiry

The Calgary Herald

08 January 1991

A Roman Catholic missionary order, shaken by allegations that some of its priests sexually abused native children, is conducting its own study to prevent similar occurrences.

It comes as the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, based in France, celebrate this year the 150th anniversary of their arrival in Canada.

The study will attempt to identify problems that could lead to child sexual abuse and other disorders by its 120 priests and brothers working in Alberta, British Columbia and the Yukon.

“Is there any dysfunction there we can deal with?” asks Rev. Larry Mackey, chairman of a committee on sexual abuse for the Oblates and director of Vancouver’s Bountyfull Counselling Society, an organization that deals with alcoholism, drug and sexual abuse and dysfunctional families.

So far, four Oblates who once worked at St. Joseph Mission School in Williams Lake, B.C., have been linked to native complaints.

RCMP spokesman Const. Bob Grinstead confirmed in December that a police investigation into allegations of sexual abuse at the mission school has been ongoing during the past three years.

A police source confirmed that two priests including Most Rev. Hubert O’Connor, 62, a former principal and now a Roman Catholic bishop, are under investigation.

A third person, Brother Glen Doughty, a dormitory supervisor at the school, will stand trial in February on charges of indecently assaulting four children at the school.

A fourth school official – Rev. Harold McIntee – plead guilty in 1989 to 17 counts of sexual abuse and was sentenced to two years in jail. He’s now on parole.

Elsewhere, Rev. Eric Dejaeger, a member from another Oblate province in the Northwest Territories, was charged recently with five counts of sexual assault on a male and female between 1987 and 1988. The alleged victims were 14 at the time.

Mackey says the order has met the Williams Lake natives, listened to their concerns and done as much as it can to address their needs following the conviction of one priest who served at the school. And it gave $80,000 to the Alkali Lake band to hire a psychologist a year ago to help victims.

“We have never left them in all this. We’re standing with them,” he says.

Mackey also says that if allegations are made about any member, the Oblates will remove the individual immediately and, if necessary, send him for treatment.

Accusations of cultural genocide and allegations of mental, physical and emotional abuse at the residential schools such as the St. Joseph Mission school must be examined in a historical context, he said.

In a book published recently, Oblate historian Thomas Lascelles noted that, “To conclude . . . that the residential schools were `little more than brutal prisons’ is to forfeit perspective and distort the record.

“The statement appears to commiserate with the victims of injustice but does itself a great injustice to those who gave their lives to the children with a great deal of love in their hearts, and with no thought of the enormous sacrifices.”

When the Oblates arrived in Montreal in 1841 they quickly took over care of the Indian Missions, travelling to the most remote parts of Canada.

The residential schools were established by the federal government and the Oblates, under contract to the government, implemented federal policy, which was one of colonialization and assimilation.

“We had no choice in the direction of the implementation of government policy,” says Mackey.

The Oblates objective was to preach the gospel and the schools were one facet of the missionary endeavor. Their focus was not to destroy native culture but to help them grasp the essentials of education so they could survive in a non-native environment, he adds.

A westernized spirituality was imposed on them because, at the time, native spirituality was considered pagan, he says.

But that view has changed.

“We’re almost at an ecumenical level. Native people are being acknowledged as being very deeply spiritual people.”

Although Mackey says he was personally unaware of any form of physical punishment more severe than the strap he agrees some individuals may have exceeded their authority.

Runaways were always a concern and preventive measures were sometimes severe, he says, adding that the Oblates were responsible not only for education but the health and safety of the children.

“There were runaways that resulted in death and that burden fell on us as caretakers of the children.”

Bed-wetters were also a major problem for the missionaries because of the trauma wrought by removing the children from their homes. In a school of 130 children, as many as 30 or 40 children might wet the bed, he says.

If the school was short-staffed and short of bedclothes, it could be a burden on a daily basis.

Oblates like himself have given their lives to serve the native people, he says.

“I know in our experience, the men I work with had nothing but the highest regard for the native people we worked with.”

With three missionaries serving the Chilcotin-Cariboo area around Williams Lake, that remains the case, he says.

“If that had not been the case, they would have been expelled by the native people themselves. They’re loved by the people.”


B.C. bishop linked to sex abuse; B.C. bishop investigated in native school sex case

The Vancouver Sun

06 December 1990

Douglas Todd

A B.C. Roman Catholic bishop is being investigated in connection with sex-abuse complaints by native Indians who attended St. Joseph’s residential school near Williams Lake, sources have told The Vancouver Sun.

RCMP are conducting an investigation in connection with numerous alleged assaults against girls who attended the now-defunct school.

The bishop could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Two Oblate priests who worked at St. Joseph’s, which closed in 1981, have already been charged or convicted following natives’ sexual assault complaints, some of which go back more than 25 years.

The bishop’s secretary said Wednesday he was out of town at a meeting and won’t return or be available for comment until Dec. 17.

Police have sent the results of their latest investigation of St. Joseph’s to Crown prosecutor Lorne Fisher, and a decision on whether charges will be laid is expected soon. Calls by The Vancouver Sun to Fisher’s office were not returned.

However, a story in Wednesday’s Calgary Herald quoted Fisher as saying “it’s going to be a little bit of time” before a decision on charges is made. “There’s a lot of work to be done.”

Rev. Bill Mendenhall, spokesman for the archbishopric of Vancouver’s Roman Catholic diocese, said Wednesday he was not aware of the investigation.

Oblate Brother Glen Doughty, 51, a former dormitory supervisor at St. Joseph’s, was charged last March with five counts of indecent assault and five counts of gross indecency against five boys from 1961-67. His trial is slated to begin in February.

As a result of an earlier investigation by Williams Lake RCMP Const. Bob Grinstead and Fisher, 60-year-old Oblate priest Harold McIntee, a superintendent at St. Joseph’s, pleaded guilty last year to 17 counts of sexual abuse.

On June 2, 1989, McIntee was sentenced to two years for the assaults, which included dozens of incidents against young native boys at St. Joseph’s.


Lay brother faces charges

The Windsor Star

28 March 1990

WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. (CP) – A member of a Roman Catholic order working as a student counsellor at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ont., has been charged with sexually assaulting young boys in British Columbia in the 1960s.

Oblate Brother Glenn William Doughty, 51, is charged with five counts of indecent assault and five counts of gross indecency against five boys from 1961 to ’67 at an Indian residential school near Williams Lake.

Doughty is to appear in court April 23, RCMP said Tuesday.

Williams Lake is about 330 km north of Vancouver.

21 Responses to Doughty: Brother Glenn Doughty omi

  1. A Mother says:

    I am a Thunder Bay Mother of a boy who was groomed and controlled by Brother Glenn Doughty, OMI. This was during the time when Glenn was a brother at St. Agnes R.C. church there where he was heading up a boys’ youth group originating at the church. My son was told about it at school.

    I am one of many parents whose children were sexually abused by Glenn. There were about 10 boys in the group, and Glenn took them to the church’s camp. There he would ply these 11-12-13 yr old boys with beer and other alcohol. He also told them he was a trained psychologist who specialized in hypnotherapy. He used to get them drunk and lay them out on a couch and other than getting into too much more detail, I will leave it there. The children were told that God wanted them to do these things for him as he was under stress and he needed to be feeling well in order to do his job for God. The boys fell for this line and became his drunk little sex toys. After quite some time, one of the boys finally broke down to his parents and that’s when things began to fall apart for Glenn Doughty in Thunder Bay.

    It was reported to the head priest at the church, and from there we found out that Bishop J. O’Mara, the Bishop of Thunder Bay, Ontario, at the time, was well aware of the fact that Glenn had been involved with the sexual abuse of young people at the Residential School in B.C. In spite of the fact that he was a danger to all of these children, the Bishop hid this fact from everyone and took him on as a “Brother” for the St. Agnes Parish in Thunder Bay. He gave Glenn the job of working with young people. Doesn’t this seem strange to you?

    We also found out that the Bishop was akin to Glenn in his appetite for young boys as well. The conspiracy grew, protecting these pedophiles in the local parish. How many boys exactly do we know were abused and ruined? We don’t know for sure. My son, for one, never did speak up as he simply couldn’t talk about any of it as he was filled with so much shame and guilt he was emotionally in pieces for the next few years following his involvement with that church and the youth group. We are aware, though, that other families spoke to the police and gave statements.

    I took my son out of the city and we lived elsewhere for a few years until the public focus was off the boys and for his own need to be away from it all. We, the parents, made up another reason for leaving the city and the boy was never made aware of the real reason why we left. When we came back, Glenn sought out my son again through the high school, and, somehow, he convinced him that he needed to be friends with him again so that he (my son) could overcome his anger towards the church. (?)

    My son finished the last grade in highschool and left the city again to work for a company in Nova Scotia. Glenn found him there as well. Somehow, we couldn’t shake Glenn from our son’s life. I think Glenn found the information from one of our son’s friends in Thunder Bay. Finally, my son moved, yet again, to another city in eastern Canada and we believe he finally found a way to shake Glenn Doughty.

    We, the family, could only do what our son would allow us to do. He was in control. He was the one who had been damaged, betrayed, lied to, violated. We did and didn’t do as he was comfortable with as he was now old enough to know what he could endure and living away was the best or at least his first attempt at “losing,” Glenn Doughty from his life.

    Psychiatric help was suggested and offered to him and he did take advantage of that assistance for a while, but we had hoped that he would have continued on for at least a year. He is a wonderful man, now in his middle age with a family of his own. He couldn’t be a better father and husband. We are so very very proud of him but no one knows what demons interfere with his sleep at night and his spiritual and emotional happiness. God only knows. Of course, I’ve given up on the idea of God because if God allowed one of his own servants to spoil a child that way Glenn Doughty did, then…there is no God.

    Please do not offer me “healing,” what a joke, I got a letter from Bishop O’Mara offering me just that,..what I needed was to be able to go and punch him and Glenn Doughty in the face and right between their legs…that’s what I needed!

    I don’t want to be contacted and I do not want the confidentiality of this letter breached. My dearest son has suffered enough. What I do want to know is this: why have you, in all your records here of what happened to Glenn Doughty, never mentioned his time in Thunder Bay? I don’t know when he left for sure, as he was moved to Lakehead University as a chaplain after the St. Agnes exposure. I do believe, however, that he arrived in Thunder Bay at about 1982? 83? I think maybe 1983. He was still trying to track down my son as late as 1990-91. So roughly, he was in Thunder Bay for about 8 or more years. Why is this not a part of his record here?

    He was charged by local police in Thunder Bay and after that, I’m not sure what happened to him legally , in terms of a trial, etc., but surely you could access public records and include this information in your chronological description of Glenn Doughty’s trouble with the law in Thunder Bay, Ontario.

    I will leave my email address, but there will be shit to pay if I ever see this information I’ve given here, in print anywhere or any other form of communication anywhere. We want the public to know, to warn them, of this beast who preys upon the beautiful, innocent children of others. I don’t know if Glenn Doughty is dead or alive at this time of writing, therefore, we will conduct ourselves as if he were alive. I hope he is dead and in a cold dark hole, so he cannot ruin the lives of any more children.

    To all the children, now adults, who have been so horribly violated by that “mistake,” of a man, I do hope you can find a way to shed the memories of those black days in your lives and find new happiness in a sunrise, a flower, gentle music, the smell of the woods, the laughter of a baby and the knowledge that you are a good and decent and lovable human being who needs feel NO SHAME but “deserves,” yes! “deserves,” all the happiness and joy in your living. Please work toward that goal, you are never too old or too young to succeed in that end. My heart aches for you all and I extend to you, my love.

    • Geenda says:

      This post literally made me cry, for all the little innocents that have been horribly violated by these disgusting vile human beings… and then protected by by the bishops who all knew and did nothing. .. I have been reprimanded a few times for suggesting the priesthood is nothing more than institutionalsed pedophilia…and I have since realized there are some good priests out there, but when I read posts like this about the cover-ups and protecting each other instead of the children, I could vomit… I hope the entire Catholic Church FALLS on this issue and believe me when I say it will! These little children, horribly abused, are growing up and society has changed, its now encouraged to report and there is not shame in it, but kindness and understanding for the victims… I hope there are abusers out there reading this. You will be found out, you will be caught, you will be punished.

  2. Sylvia says:

    Thank you, a Mother, for sharing this with us. This is a whole segment of Doughty’s life of which, until we heard from you, we know nothing.

    For the benefit of everyone I contacted this mother to ensure that she does want this posted. Yes, she does. She does not, however, want media lifting and re-printing it elsewhere.

    I will now try to get more information on Doughty’s time in Thunder Bay. As I told Mother, and she fully understands, I can only post the information to which I have access.

  3. Mike Fitzgerald says:

    Way to go, Mom! They both deserve more than just a kick in the b—-s. I am so glad your son is doing well. I wish him well!!! Mike.

  4. Jeff says:

    I was the one in Thunder Bay that broke down and came forward about what that man did to me. Very dark timed indeed. I look him up on Google occasionally hoping to see an obituary.

  5. Jeff says:

    He did appear in court in Thunder Bay and plead guilty to the charges that were brought forward by 3 of us. He received a slap on the wrist of 2 years less a day sentence.

  6. Jeff says:

    I came forward in 1996 and he was sentenced in 1997 if that helps for a timeline.

  7. Jeff says:

    He was the church counselor at St. Agnes Church. The first thing he used to gain trust was a picture in his office of him standing with Pope John Paul II that he made sure you saw. His office was in the basement of the rectory away from prying eyes. It was just off the room where the youth group gathered. Mostly Alter Boys.

  8. Jeff says:

    I am sure he arrived at St. Agnes in 1986

  9. Jeff says:

    Actually it may have been earlier. Thinking back, my first encounter may have been in 84.

  10. Jeff says:

    One last note to my thread here. The most painful part of what he did was that my mother blamed herself for what happened to me because she sent me to him as she thought I would benefit from speaking with someone about my parents divorce and she trusted her church. She took that guilt with her to her grave and it didn’t matter that she new I never blamed her. It destroyed her. I almost wish I never told her.

  11. Jeff says:

    Just remembered an important detail. The Priest in charge at St. Agnes Church during Glenn’s time there and also the one who participated in the cover up after Glenn was first charged in 1990 was Father Oliver Rich. He was implicated by Glenn himself for destroying documents in Glenn’s office.

  12. Sylvia says:

    Thank you Jeff, first for coming forward in the mid 90s and having him charged, and now for trying to get some order into the timelines.

    It looks as though the Kuper Island charged were being dealt with at the time your charges were dealt with? It’s a bit confusing trying to sort it out.

    Do you by chance have any newspaper articles which cover the charges and the guilty plea?

    • Jeff says:

      I don’t recall there ever being any publicity surrounding the charges in Thunder Bay. Thinking about it now it seems odd? I also remember that there was only a small handful of people in the court room when he was sentenced.

  13. Jason says:

    I was taken to the camp with Jeff. It was near loon lake I think it was crystal lake or silver lake. Not sure. I look Glen up as well on google hoping to see an obit. He has caused me pain that I carry with me every day. 2 years in prison and 21000 will never erase the memory of what he did to us. I’m a survivor of abuse.

  14. Jason says:

    Too long. Things are ok. Hope all is well with you.

  15. Jeff says:

    Lots of ups and downs. Finally realized that by trying to forget I was helping him and others like him. It was helpful sharing information on this site.

  16. Leona says:

    Something about those oblates. Thanks Jeff and Jason for speaking out. I’m a survivor (of a different oblate) who came forward in the ’90s too.

  17. Keke says:

    He has a facebook page under Glenn Doughty. And friends. I shake my head.

Leave a Reply