Posted: Mar 10, 2014 11:05 AM NT Last Updated: Mar 10, 2014 1:55 PM NT
A complaint against priest Wayne Dohey that triggered his suspension from St. Patrick’s parish in St. John’s has been filed with the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary.
An official with the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s said the complainant has also made a formal statement with the police.
Archbishop Martin Currie is is revealing few details about why Dohey was removed last week from all ministerial duties at St. Patrick’s, pending an internal investigation into an unspecified complaint.
Currie is refusing to say what is alleged to have happened, but told CBC News the matter is being taken seriously.
“In the past, we were accused of not acting on complaints and following up on them. So the minute we received the complaint we have suspended Father from ministry and removed him from the parish here,” Currie said.
“I’m always very saddened when these things happen, when complaints are levelled against our clergy, no matter what the nature of it is.”
Currie said the complaint is not related to recent court charges brought against Diane Clare Coady who is accused of theft and fraud connected to an audit that found $306,000 could not be accounted for.
Outside mass on Sunday, St. Patrick’s parishioners such as Gwen Daly offered support for Dohey.
“He has been very good for the parish. He is very approachable,” she said.
“We will wait and see what comes of that.”
Dohey had been charged in 2007 with sexual assault and sexual exploitation. Those charges were dismissed by a judge.
Complaint Against Priest Made to Archdiocese and RNC
Monday , March 10 2014 | 2:48:59 PM
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s confirms a complaint they received concerning the parish priest at St. Patrick’s Church in St. John’s, was also made to the RNC. The Archdiocese issued a release Saturday evening indicating that Father Wayne Dohey had been suspended from his ministerial duties pending an investigation. The Archdiocese did not indicate the nature of the complaint, but did say it had nothing to do with recent allegations of fraud at the church.
Father Wayne Dohey had charges of sexual assault and sexual exploitation laid against him back in 2007. Those charges were later dismissed. There is no indication at this time as to whether or not the current complaint is of a sexual nature.
St. John’s Catholic priest suspended
Published on March 10, 2014
A Roman Catholic priest has been removed from his position as parish priest and suspended from all ministerial duties while the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s investigates an allegation of wrongdoing.
Archbishop Martin Currie speaks with reporters outside St. Patrick’s Church, one day after the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. John’s announced the suspension of Father Wayne Dohey. — Photo by Andrew Robinson/The Telegram
The church won’t say what the nature of that allegation is. In a statement released Saturday, the archdiocese did clarify that the complaint made against Father Wayne Dohey of St. Patrick’s Parish in St. John’s is not related to a court case involving the alleged embezzlement of parish funds.
Archbishop Martin Currie addressed the matter during mass Sunday at St. Patrick’s Church and spoke with reporters following the service.
“We received a complaint, and according to our protocol now, when we receive a complaint – because in the past we were accused of not acting on complaints and following up on them – so the minute we received a complaint, we have suspended Father (Dohey) from the ministry and removed him from the parish here, as the investigation is ongoing,” Currie said.
For now, the archdiocese is handling the investigation. Currie said he hopes to see the investigation conclude “quite quickly.”
“I’m always very saddened when these things happen – when allegations or complaints are levelled against any of our clergy – no matter what the nature of it is,” said the archbishop. “We’ve been trying lately to do the best we can to be a church which is open and transparent, so that’s why I say we’re trying to act on these matters as quickly as we can.”
Parishioners leaving the church after the 11 a.m. mass on Sunday expressed mixed feelings about news of Dohey’s suspension.
“Father Dohey has been here for a number of years, and he has been very good for the parish,” said Gwen Daly, who added she was sad to learn of his suspension and intended to pray for all parties involved. “He’s very approachable, he’s kind, he’s pleasant, and we’ll wait and see what comes of (the investigation).”
One woman leaving the church said she would continue to support Dohey and the parish. Another said she was disappointed by the news. The majority of those leaving the church Sunday declined comment.
The priest’s suspension marks the second time in less than a month that St. Patrick’s Parish has been in the news. Last month, charges of fraud, theft and forgery were laid against Dianne Coady. After hearing from the parish priest in August 2012 about suspected fraudulent activity, the archdiocese ordered a forensic audit of parish finances.
The archdiocese received the results of that audit in January of last year and then turned the matter over to the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary.
It has been announced by the RCMP that no charges will be laid against Fr. Wayne Dohey.
Yes, Vee, an article announcing that no charges would be laid was posted 18 May 2014 on the Father Wayne Dohey page. In case you missed it, here it is:
18 May 2014: St. Patrick’s priest Wayne Dohey won’t be charged: archbishop
Anyone seen or heard from Father Wayne Dohey? No charges laid: so why isn’t he back on the job? Archbishop Currie, is he still suspended from ministry? If so, are we even entitled to a foggy clue as to why, since he hasn’t been charged, or are we just supposed to imagine he has vanished into thin air?