Ex-priest takes case to Supreme Court

Share Button

Times & Transcript (New Brunswick)

Published Wednesday November 2nd, 2011

A11

Times & transcript staff

A former priest ordered to stand trial again after he was acquitted last year on a decades-old charge of sexual interference has filed notice he plans to appeal the matter to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Charles Picot, who served as a priest in Campbellton and Dalhousie, was acquitted last year of a 1975 charge of indecent assault on a boy who was 13. Picot was parish priest at Saint-Jean-Baptiste Roman Catholic Church in Dalhousie at the time.

Picot was acquitted on March 3, 2010 when the trial judge said the victim’s testimony was not corroborated.

The judge did not dismiss the victim’s testimony as unbelievable.

But in a split decision earlier this year, the New Brunswick Court of Appeal ordered a new trial in the case.

Justice Richard Bell, giving the reasons for himself and Justice Kathleen A. Quigg, ruled that a new trial was in order.

Justice J.C. Marc Richard wrote a dissenting opinion indicating that he would have let the acquittal stand.

In August, Picot was sentenced to eight months in jail after being found guilty of a sex assault dating back several decades.

2 Responses to Ex-priest takes case to Supreme Court

  1. Sylvia says:

    Where in the name of all that’s good and holy is the money coming from?

    So, here’s how this one goes…

    Picot was acquitted on the Michael Jensen charges. The Crown appealed. The NB Court of Appeal ordered a new trial. Picot is now appealing the Court of Appeal ruling for a new trial to the Supreme Court of Canada. $$$$$$

    Picot was found guilty on the John-Derek Lapointe charges. He is apparently planning to appeal that decision. He filed a motion for release from jail pending the appeal. The motion was turned down. The appeal is presumably still in the offing. $$$$$

    This is all getting quite convoluted. I am in the process of trying to re-order things on the Picot page so that we can better follow what’s going on. The blog software is being finicky right now so there is red text all over the place: I will eventually get that taken care of πŸ™‚

    By the way, Picot is NOT, to my knowledge, an “EX” priest. Retired: yes. Defrocked: no. If anyone has heard otherwise please let me know.

    I am so sorry Michael and Derek that you are being put through the legal wringer by this man. My prayers are with you.

  2. JG says:

    Mid day thoughts:… Picot…Bathurst Diocese…money “retrieved” by the same diocese last November 2010 to compensate victims under the “mediation” of ex supreme court judge Michel Bastarache…

    How much money was retrieved, how “little”was paid out to victims and how much was paid for Bastarache’s “bungling”!?…(in my opinion anyway!)We don’t really know because it is all kept under wraps but my suspicious mind says you could have a potential “fund” to bring this case to “set an example” ….right to the Supreme Court where still sit seven(7) of the same Judges who were there when Judge Bastarache retired in June 2008…

    The “power connections” and the “scales of justice” more than ever need to remain under a strong light!
    “The Church” is just doing what other wealthy individuals and corporations have done in the past. They are looking for a test case and a lot of unspoken intimidation wrapped into even more delays…and they believe “time” works in their favor, not for Christ…
    or whatever his plans were originally!!..
    Good Luck Michael and Derek… feel the crowd standing behind you! You are already winners in my little book and I believe within the framework of “The Good Book”.
    “That” decision you have won the moment of the transgression.
    Peace be with you.
    JG

Leave a Reply