“Pembroke priest charged in alleged 1985 sex assault” & related articles

Share Button

 The Ottawa Citizen (in 31 July 2013 print edition – City Section, p.1)

July 30, 2013

OTTAWA — A 72-year-old Pembroke priest and former police chaplain faces charges in an historical sexual assault of a boy.

The investigation began in British Columbia in March 2013 before it was turned over to the Ontario Provincial Police in June.

The charges were laid after the victim made a complaint to police about an alleged sexual assault in 1985.

Police arrested Father Howard Chabot on Monday and charged him with sexual assault and gross indecency. Chabot was released from custody on a promise to appear in court on Sept. 3.

Chabot was a priest at Holy Name Parish in Pembroke when the alleged incident occurred, but he had also worked as a chaplain with the police force for 20 years.

David Hawkins, the Pembroke police chief before the force disbanded earlier this month, said Wednesday he hadn’t heard about the charges.

Hawkins described Chabot as an “honourable man” who retired as the force’s chaplain several years ago because of health problems.

Hawkins said Chabot’s main responsibility was to help police notify families in Pembroke when a relative died.

“He was certainly always a gentleman and very supportive of the police,” Hawkins said. “I speak very highly of him.”

Bruce Pappin, a spokesman for the Pembroke diocese, said Chabot was ordained as a priest in 1968. Chabot retired in 2005 from Our Lady of Lourdes parish in Pembroke because of heart problems.

The diocese said they will continue to co-operate with police and will help the victim through the healing process.

“The Diocese of Pembroke prays that the truth concerning this matter may be brought to light and extends support to any parties concerned in this case,” Bishop Michael Mulhall said in a statement.

Chabot’s arrest marked the fourth time in recent history a priest in the Pembroke diocese faces historical sexual assault charges.

Monsignor Robert Borne was handed a nine-month conditional sentence last year for indecently assaulting a local teen more than 30 years ago.

Daniel Miller, a retired Ottawa Valley priest, was charged with three counts each of gross indecency and indecent assault for offences that occurred between 1970 and 1980.

The alleged victims in that case were preteen boys and one man.

In January 2008, Msgr. Bernard Prince was found guilty of molesting 13 young boys between 1964 and 1984. The prominent priest had previously been given a Vatican post.

Even before the latest sexual assault charges, the Pembroke diocese had implemented a protocol for sexual abuse cases involving minors.

Listed under popular items on the Pembroke diocese website, the protocol calls the sexual assault of a child a “terrible crime” and “scandalous.”

A priest appointed by the diocese was put in charge of taking complaints of sexual assault involving children. The priest is obligated to report allegations that a child was sexually assaulted to the police. When an adult brings forward allegations of sexual assault, the priest will tell the victim to contact the police. If the adult doesn’t want a criminal investigation, the diocese will undertake their own by interviewing the victim and taking a formal statement.

The diocese will also provide counselling or spiritual guidance to the victims.

“The Diocesan Committee will attempt to immediately assess the situation and implement measures to minimize the trauma that inevitably flows from such a regrettable and scandalous incident,” the protocol states.

mhurley@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/meghan_hurley

__________________________________

Ont. priest charged in alleged ’85 Sex assault

 Regina Leader-Post

 July 31, 2013

Provincial police have arrested a Catholic priest in Pembroke, Ont., in connection with a decades-old alleged sexual assault incident.

Police say they received a complaint about an incident that allegedly occurred in 1985 in Pembroke.

Father Howard Chabot has been charged with one count of sexual assault and one count of gross indecency.

The 72-year-old priest, who provincial police believe is now retired, is to appear in court on Sept. 3.

_______________________________

Pembroke priest facing sex-related charges

1310 News – All news radio

Jul 30, 2013 10:58:32 AM

Alex Black @1310AlexBlack

PEMBROKE – A local priest is facing sex-related charges stemming from an incident in 1985 in Pembroke, when he was working at Holy Name Parish.

Upper Ottawa Valley OPP has charged Father Howard Chabot with one count of sexual assault and one count of gross indecency.

He’s been released on a promise to appear in Pembroke court on September 3, 2013.

The Bishop of Pembroke, Michael Mulhall has said the Diocese will offer its full co-operation to police and will offer support to everyone involved, that according to Renfrew Today.

This is the latest in a series of charges levelled at priests who have served at the Pembroke Diocese.

Police are requesting anyone with any information about this investigation to call Detective Constable Marc Gauvin at 613-735-0188 or 1-888-310-1122, or to contact Crime Stoppers.

__________________________

OPP Charge Man For Historical Offence

Star 96 (Pembroke, Ontario)

7/30/2013 10:28:00 AM

Posted By: Ashley Thomson ·

The local OPP have charged a man for a historical offence.

Yesterday, as a result of an investigation being done by the Upper Ottawa Valley Crime Unit, Father Howard Chabot was arrested and charged with one count of Sexual Assault and one count of Gross Indecency.

The charges are a result of a complaint of an incident that happened in 1985 in Pembroke.

Father Chabot was released from custody on a Promise to Appear and Office-In-Charge Undertaking to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice, Pembroke, on September 3rd.

____________________________

Pembroke priest charged in alleged 1985 sex assault

 The Calgary Herald

30 July 2013

OTTAWA — A 72-year-old Pembroke priest and former police chaplain faces charges in an historical sexual assault of a boy.

The investigation began in British Columbia in March 2013 before it was turned over to the Ontario Provincial Police in June.

The charges were laid after the victim made a complaint to police about an alleged sexual assault in 1985.

Police arrested Father Howard Chabot on Monday and charged him with sexual assault and gross indecency. Chabot was released from custody on a promise to appear in court on Sept. 3.

Chabot was a priest at Holy Name Parish in Pembroke when the alleged incident occurred, but he had also worked as a chaplain with the police force for 20 years.

David Hawkins, the Pembroke police chief before the force disbanded earlier this month, said Wednesday he hadn’t heard about the charges.

Hawkins described Chabot as an “honourable man” who retired as the force’s chaplain several years ago because of health problems.

Hawkins said Chabot’s main responsibility was to help police notify families in Pembroke when a relative died.

“He was certainly always a gentleman and very supportive of the police,” Hawkins said. “I speak very highly of him.”

Bruce Pappin, a spokesman for the Pembroke diocese, said Chabot was ordained as a priest in 1968. Chabot retired in 2005 from Our Lady of Lourdes parish in Pembroke because of heart problems.

The diocese said they will continue to co-operate with police and will help the victim through the healing process.

“The Diocese of Pembroke prays that the truth concerning this matter may be brought to light and extends support to any parties concerned in this case,” Bishop Michael Mulhall said in a statement.

Chabot’s arrest marked the fourth time in recent history a priest in the Pembroke diocese faces historical sexual assault charges.

Monsignor Robert Borne was handed a nine-month conditional sentence last year for indecently assaulting a local teen more than 30 years ago.

Daniel Miller, a retired Ottawa Valley priest, was charged with three counts each of gross indecency and indecent assault for offences that occurred between 1970 and 1980.

The alleged victims in that case were preteen boys and one man.

In January 2008, Msgr. Bernard Prince was found guilty of molesting 13 young boys between 1964 and 1984. The prominent priest had previously been given a Vatican post.

Even before the latest sexual assault charges, the Pembroke diocese had implemented a protocol for sexual abuse cases involving minors.

Listed under popular items on the Pembroke diocese website, the protocol calls the sexual assault of a child a “terrible crime” and “scandalous.”

A priest appointed by the diocese was put in charge of taking complaints of sexual assault involving children. The priest is obligated to report allegations that a child was sexually assaulted to the police. When an adult brings forward allegations of sexual assault, the priest will tell the victim to contact the police. If the adult doesn’t want a criminal investigation, the diocese will undertake their own by interviewing the victim and taking a formal statement.

The diocese will also provide counselling or spiritual guidance to the victims.

“The Diocesan Committee will attempt to immediately assess the situation and implement measures to minimize the trauma that inevitably flows from such a regrettable and scandalous incident,” the protocol states.

mhurley@ottawacitizen.com

twitter.com/meghan_hurley

________________________________

Pembroke priest charged in alleged 1985 sex assault

CHIP 101.7 FM (the Pontiac, Quebec)

Tuesday 30 July 2013 – 15:07:30

APembrokepriestfaceschargesinahistoricalsexualassault.

Thechargeswerelaidafterthevictimmadeacomplainttopoliceaboutanallegedsexualassaultin1985.   PolicearrestedFatherHowardChabotonMondayandchargedhimwithsexualassaultandgrossindecency.

ChabotwasreleasedfrompolicecustodyonapromisetoappearincourtonSept. 3.

ChabotwasapriestatHolyNameParishinPembrokeatthetimeoftheallegedoffence.

ChabotwasalsoachaplainwiththePembrokePoliceService, accordingtoamediareport.

AnyonewithinformationaboutthisinvestigationcancallDet. MarcGauvinat613-735-0188.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Pembroke+priest+charged+alleged+1985+assault/8725603/story.html

_______________________________________

Catholic priest charged with historical sexual assault

CFRA radio (Ottawa, Ontario)

July 30, 2013 10:09 from Norman Jack

A Catholic priest has been charged with one count of sexual assault and one of gross indecency in Pembroke.

The OPP say Father Howard Chabot was arrested yesterday after an investigation into an incident that occurred in 1985.

He has been released without bail, and is due back in court in early September.

Chabot, who’s now retired, was serving at the Holy Name Parish in Pembroke at the time of the alleged incident.

The Bishop of Pembroke says the diocese will offer its full co-operation to police.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *