Seven years in prison for the pedophile Herman Cassista (google translation with original French text)

Share Button

Le Soleil

Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:53 | Updated February 8, 2013 at 21:19

Dominique Hardy
Le Soleil

(Québec) Judge Carol St-Cyr denounced the Archbishop of Quebec and the Director of Youth Protection (DYP) for turning a blind eye to the actions of a sexual nature has made the former deacon Herman Cassista the place of nine young men, who had been entrusted, between the years 1972 and 1991. For these crimes, the judge sentenced the accused to seven years in prison.

“The court finds particularly heinous that the accused who enjoyed full confidence of parents and authorities responsible for the protection of youth has been, over the years, sexually abusing vulnerable young men. And despite the denunciations to the archbishopric of Quebec and the Director of Youth Protection, “said the judge in making his award.

The judge also pointed to aggravating factors, “very numerous and particularly serious” in the commission of crimes. “The intrusiveness of actions on boys, ranging from masturbation, fellatio, sodomy and attempted sodomy, and over a very long period and many frequencies,” noted Judge St-Cyr. On average, each of the nine victims, aged 12 to 28 years, lived 200 sexual assaults, acts that have left a legacy in these important people up to the suicide of one of them.

“The Court also finds that the modus operandi used by the accused was still the same as it was exercising psychological control among young people in difficulty using a system of rewards and being very skillful in handling,” said the court. Few mitigating factors were raised apart from the age of the accused, who will soon be 70 years old, his admission of guilt, expression of remorse and some beginnings of awareness with respect to harm to victims. Judge Carol St-Cyr has not considered the first sentence served by the accused as a criminal record. The judge cut him 13 months of detention. It is almost six years to serve.

On leaving the court, Ms. Valérie Lahaie, prosecution, stated that the rules have changed DPJ. Once a report of sexual assault is made to the DPJ, it must notify the police and the Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions.

The acts committed by Cassista to place nine young men occurred between the years 1972 and 1991, mainly in Saint-Tite-des-Caps to a cottage he had bought to help disadvantaged young people in difficulty . The accused never had the feeling of having had such a great influence on the victims. He said during the judicial process, he believed that young people were in agreement for this kind of activity.

During the 60s and 70s, the man acting as leader within the organization Cadet forest. In 1972, graduated in theology was dedicated permanent deacon and was a member of the pastoral team of the parishes of Sainte-Brigitte-de-Laval and Sainte-Thérèse-de-Enfant-Jesus until that He was arrested in 2008.

The Crown suggested a sentence of 8 to 10 years in prison. Me Maxime Roy defense wanted a sentence of five to six years in prison.

________________________________

Publié le 08 février 2013 à 10h53 | Mis à jour le 08 février 2013 à 21h19
Sept ans de pénitencier pour le pédophile Herman Cassista

Le Soleil

Dominique Hardy
Le Soleil

(Québec) Le juge Carol St-Cyr a dénoncé l’archevêché de Québec et le Directeur de la protection de la jeunesse (DPJ) pour avoir fermé les yeux sur les gestes à caractère sexuel qu’a faits l’ex-diacre Herman Cassista à l’endroit de neuf jeunes hommes, qui lui avaient été confiés, entre les années 1972 et 1991. Pour ces crimes, le magistrat a condamné l’accusé à sept ans de pénitencier.

«Le tribunal trouve particulièrement odieux le fait que l’accusé qui jouissait d’une totale confiance des parents et des autorités chargées de la protection de la jeunesse ait pu, durant toutes ces années, abuser sexuellement de jeunes hommes vulnérables. Et ce, malgré les dénonciations à l’archevêché de Québec et au Directeur de la protection de la jeunesse», a souligné le juge en rendant sa sentence.

Le magistrat a aussi fait ressortir les facteurs aggravants, «fort nombreux et particulièrement sérieux» dans la commission des crimes. «Le caractère intrusif des gestes posés sur les jeunes garçons, allant de masturbation, fellation, tentative de sodomie et sodomie, et ce, sur une très longue période et à fréquences très nombreuses», a relevé le juge St-Cyr. En moyenne, chacune des neuf victimes, de 12 à 28 ans, a vécu 200 agressions sexuelles, gestes qui ont laissé des séquelles importantes chez ces personnes allant jusqu’au suicide de l’une d’entre elles.

«La Cour retient également que le modus operandi employé par l’accusé était toujours le même alors que ce dernier exerçait un contrôle psychologique chez les jeunes en difficulté utilisant un système de récompenses et étant très habile dans la manipulation», a ajouté le tribunal. Peu de facteurs atténuants ont été soulevés mis à part l’âge de l’accusé, qui aura bientôt 70 ans, sa reconnaissance de culpabilité, l’expression de certains remords et l’amorce d’une prise de conscience relativement aux torts causés aux victimes. Le juge Carol St-Cyr n’a pas considéré la première peine purgée par l’accusé comme étant un antécédent judiciaire. Le magistrat lui a retranché 13 mois de détention provisoire. Il lui reste près de six ans à purger.

À sa sortie du tribunal, Me Valérie Lahaie, du ministère public, a indiqué que les règles ont changé au DPJ. Dès qu’un signalement d’agression sexuelle est fait au DPJ, cette dernière doit en aviser les policiers et le Directeur des poursuites criminelles et pénales.

Les gestes commis par Cassista à l’endroit de neuf jeunes hommes se sont produits entre les années 1972 et 1991 principalement à Saint-Tite-des-Caps à un chalet qu’il avait acheté afin de venir en aide aux jeunes défavorisés et en difficulté. L’accusé n’a jamais eu le sentiment d’avoir eu une aussi grande influence sur les victimes. Il a affirmé, durant le processus judiciaire, qu’il croyait que les jeunes étaient d’accord pour ce genre d’activité.

Au cours des années 60 et 70, l’homme agissait comme animateur au sein de l’organisme des Cadets de la forêt. En 1972, le diplômé en théologie a été consacré diacre permanent et il a fait partie de l’équipe de pastorale des paroisses Sainte-Brigitte-de-Laval et Sainte-Thérèse-de-l’Enfant-Jésus jusqu’à ce qu’il soit arrêté en 2008.

Le ministère public suggérait une peine de 8 à 10 ans de pénitencier. Me Maxime Roy de la défense souhaitait une peine de cinq à six ans de pénitencier.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *