08 November 2010
Don Grecco is out of jail.
A spokesperson from the Ministry of the Attorney General, Brendan Crawley, has confirmed the former priest convicted of sexually abusing altar boys was released Friday from the Quinte Detention Centre after serving a month in custody for breaching his residency requirements under bail.
Crown attorney Jodi Whyte said Grecco, 70, was put in jail for his failure to reside at the Prince Edward County home where he was ordered to live.
Grecco reportedly was released after he provided an address where he would stay overnight following his release from jail.
Whyte did not oppose Grecco’s release.
Earlier this month, Grecco’s criminal lawyer told the sentencing hearing that his client was receiving treatment in a retirement residence after undergoing colon cancer surgery in July and battling chronic bowel disease.
Brian Donnelly also said at that time Grecco was suffering marital difficulties but was hoping to reconcile with his wife.
Donnelly said Grecco’s wife wouldn’t post bail for him, leading to his month-long incarceration.
Grecco, a former priest with the St. Catharines Roman Catholic Diocese, has pleaded guilty to three counts of gross indecency in connection with the sexual abuse of three altar boys during the late 1970s and mid-1980s.
Donnelly has suggested a non-custodial sentence to be served in the community.
Crown attorney Gregory Smith is expected to ask for jail time for Grecco when the sentencing hearing reconvenes Nov. 26 before Ontario Court Justice Kathryn Hawke.
Two of Grecco’s sexual abuse victims have launched lawsuits worth $3 million each.
One man is suing Grecco and the diocese, and the second man is suing Grecco, the diocese and former St. Catharines bishop James Wingle.
The Hamilton Spectator