Pedophile priests: The escape

Share Button


One obtained a prestigious position in Rome, the other failed in an orphanage in Malta. Here is the disconcerting journey of six churchmen accused of pedophile crimes.

La Presse

21 March 2017

Isabelle Hachey La Presse

[see also 21 March 2017:  “Pedophile priests: Haunted by Father Rivoire” & original French text 

Eric Dejaeger (Belgium)

Accused of committing particularly degrading sexual abuse to dozens of Inuit children in the Far North, this Oblate father was subject to a Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) warrant of arrest in 1995, He fled to his country of origin, Belgium – with the support of his religious community and the tacit agreement of the Canadian authorities, according to the highest official of the Oblates of Belgium.

On June 13, 1995, Eric Dejaeger was scheduled to appear in court to face charges of sexual assault on children in Igloolik, Nunavut. Oblate father was then serving five years in prison for assaulting children from another community in Baker Lake. That day, however, Eric Dejaeger did not set foot in court; He had escaped to Belgium.

In his flight, the pedophile was not only supported by his congregation, but also by his lawyer, police officers and representatives of the federal Department of Justice. All of them would have advised him to leave Canada, according to the highest official of the oblates in Belgium, Georges Vervust, who confided in Belgian and Canadian media.

For 16 years, Eric Dejaeger was protected by his congregation in Belgium. In Nunavut, his victims thought him dead. It was a Belgian activist, Lieve Halsberghe, who taught them that their executioner was still alive. For years she has sought the extradition of Father Oblate in Canada. In vain.

It was only when a Belgian journalist discovered that Eric Dejaeger had lost his citizenship in 1977 – when the Oblate father had been naturalized in Canada – that Brussels expelled him to Canada in 2011. “He was expelled Not because he was a rapist of children, but because he had lied about his nationality, “indignantly Lieve Halsberghe.

The trial was held in Iqualuit. In 2015, Eric Dejaeger was convicted of 32 sexual crimes, including rape, sodomy and bestiality, committed on children of Igloolik. These aggressions of a rare violence have broken dozens of lives and have earned the pedophile a record punishment in the country: 19 years behind the bars.

Godwin Scerri (Malta)

In 1993, he was sought in Canada, where he was accused of sexual assaults against Ontario children, brother Godwin Scerri found refuge in his home country of Malta. Despite his pedophile past, the religious authorities of this small island planted in Heart of the Mediterranean have entrusted him with a position in an orphanage, the house of St. Joseph. And what was to happen happened. In 2012, Godwin Scerri was sentenced to five years in prison for assaulting ten orphans. He was released on parole in 2015. “Pedophiles are sick in the head, but those who protect them are real criminals. They are creating new victims, “says Belgian activist Lieve Halsberghe. Brother Godwin, a former priest of the St. Paul Mission Society, has never set foot in Canada, where he is still under arrest warrants.

Jean-Level Éliscard (Montreal)

When the Archdiocese of Montreal hired Jean-Level Éliscard as a hospital chaplain in 2003, he apparently did not know that the priest of Haitian origin had been found guilty eight years earlier of raping a 13-year-old parishioner New Jersey. The father of the victim had surprised the priest lying on his tearful daughter, his robe raised on his thighs. While a criminal investigation was underway, Jean-Level Éliscard had tried to flee to Haiti, but had been intercepted in extremis at the New York airport. The Archdiocese of Montreal raised the priest in 2004, after being joined by the Dallas Morning News. A spokesman for the archdiocese told the newspaper that Jean-Level Éliscard had been recommended by the Bishop of Cayes, who had failed to reveal the criminal past of the priest to his Montreal colleagues.

Bernard Prince (Rome)

Thirty years ago, the best way for a Canadian to get an audience with the Pope was through Bernard Prince. It was this Ontario priest who organized a meeting, for example, between Céline Dion and John Paul II in 1984.

Close to the pope, Bernard Prince obtained a prestigious position in Rome and retained it until his retirement in 2004, although the Vatican and the Canadian Church had known for at least a decade serious allegations against him.

In 1991, Bishop Prince was appointed Secretary General of the Pontifical Society for the Propagation of the Faith in Rome. Two years later, the Bishop of Pembroke, Ont., Joseph Windle, was worried in writing about a possible scandal – and wondered how to conceal it.

“Although the accusations against Father Prince are very serious, I do not object to giving him another chance, since it removes him from the Canadian public scene,” wrote the bishop to Carlo Curis, Of the pope in Canada.

“What saves us is the fact that it seems that the victims are of Polish origin and that their respect for the ministry and the Church prevents them from making these allegations public or to lay criminal charges against a priest “Said Bishop Windle in this letter, which was revealed by the Globe and Mail in 2010.

The letter was written in 1993, one year after the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops had recommended that clergymen alert police immediately when they were made aware of allegations of sexual assault.

The Canadian prelates, on the contrary, sought to camouflage the facts in order to preserve the image of the Church. Lost Punishment: Charges were laid in 2006 against Bernard Prince. Returning to Canada, he was sentenced to four years in prison in 2008 for assaulting 13 boys in Ontario.

Wilfred Systermans (Germany)

Michael Zenker was 11 when he was assaulted for the first time by Wilfred Systermans. It was in 1979. He was a camelot in Waterloo, Ontario, and the church of the priest of German origin was on his distribution route. “It lasted three years. It was brutal, “he remembers.

Now aged 48, Michael Zenker has suffered all his life from these sexual assaults – and from the denial of justice he was subsequently victimized.

In 1990, young Michael Zenker found the courage to complain to the police. The investigators found Wilfred Systermans in Edmonton but did not have time to question him before the Pallotin congregation repatriated him to Germany.

“For me, it is clear that the congregation has transferred him to Germany so that he does not face justice in Canada,” says Michael Zenker.

Wilfred Systermans died in 1996, leaving his victim alone with his pain and anger. Michael Zenker sued the Pallotins and the diocese of Hamilton the following year, claiming $ 3 million. After an exhausting battle, he settled amicably, in 2015, for a sum kept confidential.

Raynald Couture (France)

Priest Raynald Couture was transferred to France after sexually assaulting Aboriginal children in Quebec. He believes his superiors hoped to stifle the scandal.

“He has the impression, even if it has never been discussed with his superiors, that the authorities moved him in 1991 to send him to France because there were rumors and the authorities were aware Of the activities he had had with boys, ” reads a ruling against the priest in 2004.

Raynald Couture received 15 months in prison for assaulting eight children from Wemontaci, an Atikamekw reserve near La Tuque. During his trial, the priest denied attacking other children in France or Quebec.

……………………………….

prêtres pédophiles

La fuite

La Presse

21 March 2017

L’un a obtenu un poste prestigieux à Rome, l’autre a échoué dans un orphelinat à Malte. Voici le parcours déconcertant de six hommes d’Église accusés de crimes pédophiles.

Eric Dejaeger (Belgique)

Accusé d’avoir infligé des sévices sexuels particulièrement dégradants à des dizaines d’enfants inuits du Grand Nord, ce père oblat faisait l’objet d’un mandat d’arrêt de la Gendarmerie royale du Canada (GRC), en 1995, lorsqu’il a pris la fuite vers son pays d’origine, la Belgique – avec l’appui de sa communauté religieuse et l’accord tacite des autorités canadiennes, selon le plus haut dirigeant des oblats de Belgique.

Le 13 juin 1995, Eric Dejaeger devait se présenter en cour pour répondre à des accusations d’agressions sexuelles sur des enfants d’Igloolik, au Nunavut. Le père oblat venait alors de purger cinq ans de prison pour avoir agressé des enfants d’une autre communauté, à Baker Lake. Ce jour-là, pourtant, Eric Dejaeger n’a pas mis les pieds au tribunal ; il s’était échappé en Belgique.

Dans sa fuite, le pédophile avait non seulement reçu l’appui de sa congrégation, mais aussi de son avocat, de policiers et de représentants du ministère fédéral de la Justice. Tous lui auraient conseillé de quitter le Canada en douce, selon le plus haut responsable des oblats en Belgique, Georges Vervust, qui s’est confié à des médias belge et canadien.

Pendant 16 ans, Eric Dejaeger a été protégé par sa congrégation en Belgique. Au Nunavut, ses victimes le croyaient mort. C’est une militante belge, Lieve Halsberghe, qui leur a appris que leur bourreau était toujours bien en vie. Pendant des années, elle a demandé l’extradition du père oblat au Canada. En vain.

C’est seulement lorsqu’une journaliste belge a découvert qu’Eric Dejaeger avait perdu sa citoyenneté en 1977 – au moment où le père oblat avait été naturalisé canadien – que Bruxelles l’a expulsé au Canada, en 2011. « Il a été expulsé non parce qu’il était un violeur d’enfants, mais parce qu’il avait menti sur sa nationalité », s’indigne Lieve Halsberghe.

Le procès s’est tenu à Iqualuit. En 2015, Eric Dejaeger a été reconnu coupable de 32 crimes sexuels, incluant le viol, la sodomie et la bestialité, commis sur des enfants d’Igloolik. Ces agressions d’une rare violence ont brisé des dizaines de vies et ont valu au pédophile une peine record au pays : 19 ans derrière les barreaux.

Godwin Scerri (Malte)

Recherché au Canada, où il est accusé d’agressions sexuelles contre des enfants ontariens, le frère Godwin Scerri a trouvé refuge à Malte, son pays d’origine, en 1993. Malgré son passé pédophile, les autorités religieuses de cette petite île plantée au cœur de la Méditerranée lui ont confié un poste dans un… orphelinat, la maison Saint-Joseph. Et ce qui devait arriver arriva. En 2012, Godwin Scerri a été condamné à cinq ans de prison pour avoir agressé dix orphelins. Il a obtenu sa libération conditionnelle en 2015. « Les pédophiles sont malades dans la tête, mais ceux qui les protègent sont de vrais criminels. Ils font en sorte de générer de nouvelles victimes », dit la militante belge Lieve Halsberghe. Le frère Godwin, un ancien prêtre de la Société missionnaire de Saint-Paul, n’a jamais remis les pieds au Canada, où il est toujours sous le coup d’un mandat d’arrêt.

Jean-Level Éliscard (Montréal)

Lorsque l’archidiocèse de Montréal a embauché Jean-Level Éliscard comme aumônier d’hôpital, en 2003, il ignorait apparemment que le prêtre d’origine haïtienne avait été reconnu coupable, huit ans plus tôt, d’avoir violé une paroissienne de 13 ans au New Jersey. Le père de la victime avait surpris le prêtre étendu sur sa fille en larmes, sa robe relevée sur ses cuisses. Alors qu’une enquête criminelle était en cours, Jean-Level Éliscard avait tenté de fuir en Haïti, mais avait été intercepté in extremis à l’aéroport de New York. L’archidiocèse de Montréal a relevé le prêtre de ses fonctions en 2004, après avoir été joint par le Dallas Morning News. Un porte-parole de l’archidiocèse a indiqué au journal que Jean-Level Éliscard avait été recommandé par l’évêque de Cayes, qui avait omis de révéler le passé criminel du prêtre à ses collègues montréalais.

Bernard Prince (Rome)

Il y a 30 ans, la meilleure façon pour un Canadien d’obtenir une audience auprès du pape était de passer par Bernard Prince. C’est ce prêtre ontarien qui aurait organisé une rencontre, par exemple, entre Céline Dion et Jean-Paul II en 1984.

Proche du pape, Bernard Prince a obtenu un poste prestigieux à Rome et l’a conservé jusqu’à sa retraite, en 2004, même si le Vatican et l’Église canadienne étaient au courant depuis au moins une décennie des allégations graves contre lui.

En 1991, Mgr Prince a été nommé secrétaire général de l’Œuvre pontificale pour la propagation de la foi, à Rome. Deux ans plus tard, l’évêque de Pembroke, en Ontario, Joseph Windle, s’inquiétait par écrit d’un possible scandale – et se demandait comment le dissimuler.

« Bien que les accusations contre le père Prince soient très graves, je ne m’oppose pas à ce qu’on lui donne une autre chance puisque cela le soustrait à la scène publique canadienne », a écrit l’évêque à Carlo Curis, représentant du pape au Canada.

« Ce qui nous épargne, c’est le fait qu’il semble que les victimes soient d’origine polonaise et que leur respect pour le ministère et l’Église les empêche de rendre ces allégations publiques ou de déposer des accusations criminelles contre un prêtre », se réjouissait l’évêque Windle dans cette lettre révélée par le Globe and Mail en 2010.

La lettre avait été écrite en 1993, soit un an après que la Conférence des évêques catholiques du Canada eut recommandé aux membres du clergé d’alerter la police sans délai lorsqu’ils sont mis au courant d’allégations d’agressions sexuelles.

Les prélats canadiens ont au contraire cherché à camoufler les faits afin de préserver l’image de l’Église. Peine perdue : des accusations ont été déposées en 2006 contre Bernard Prince. Rapatrié au Canada, il a été condamné à quatre ans de prison, en 2008, pour avoir agressé 13 garçons en Ontario.

Wilfred Systermans (Allemagne)

Michael Zenker avait 11 ans lorsqu’il a été agressé pour la première fois par Wilfred Systermans. C’était en 1979. Il était camelot à Waterloo, en Ontario, et l’église du prêtre d’origine allemande se trouvait sur son parcours de distribution. « Cela a duré trois ans. C’était brutal », se souvient-il.

Aujourd’hui âgé de 48 ans, Michael Zenker a souffert toute sa vie de ces agressions sexuelles – et du déni de justice dont il a été victime par la suite.

C’est qu’en 1990, le jeune Michael Zenker a trouvé le courage de porter plainte à la police. Les enquêteurs ont retrouvé Wilfred Systermans à Edmonton, mais n’ont pas eu le temps de l’interroger avant que la congrégation des Pallotins ne le rapatrie en catastrophe en Allemagne.

« Pour moi, il est clair que la congrégation l’a transféré en Allemagne afin de lui éviter de faire face à la justice au Canada », dit Michael Zenker.

Wilfred Systermans est mort en 1996, laissant sa victime seule avec sa douleur et sa colère. Michael Zenker a poursuivi les Pallotins et le diocèse de Hamilton l’année suivante, réclamant 3 millions de dollars. Après une épuisante bataille, il a réglé à l’amiable, en 2015, pour une somme gardée confidentielle.

Raynald Couture (France)

Le prêtre Raynald Couture a été transféré en France après avoir agressé sexuellement des enfants autochtones au Québec. Il croit que ses supérieurs espéraient ainsi étouffer le scandale.

« Il a l’impression, même si cela n’a jamais été discuté avec ses supérieurs, que les autorités l’ont déplacé en 1991 pour l’envoyer en France parce qu’il y avait des rumeurs et que les autorités étaient au courant des activités qu’il avait eues avec des garçons », lit-on dans un jugement rendu contre le prêtre en 2004.

Raynald Couture a écopé de 15 mois de prison pour avoir agressé huit enfants de Wemontaci, une réserve atikamekw située près de La Tuque. Lors de son procès, le prêtre a nié s’être attaqué à d’autres enfants par la suite, en France ou au Québec.

One Response to Pedophile priests: The escape

  1. Sylvia says:

    There are two new names here: Fathers Jean-Level Éliscard and Raynald Couture. I will get some info together on both and add them to the list.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *