Sexual assault: the former priest Yvon Arsenault denies all (with original French text)

Share Button

[This is an unofficial translation – scroll down for original French text]

L’Acadie nouvelle

Monday, August 19, 2013

By Mathieu Roy-Comeau

[email protected]

MONCTON – The former priest of St. Joseph Parish of Shediac denies the sexual assault allegations against him in a civil lawsuit.

In a document filed in Court of Queen’s Bench in Moncton, July 30, Yvon Arsenault denies each accusation made by the plaintiff who claims to have been sexually abused at the hands of the priest during the 1970s.

The 71-year-old man “denies the specific details of the sexual abuse allegations and denies that the plaintiff suffered injury, damage, loss or alleged damage,” the statement of defense states.

Yvon Arsenault served as a priest in the Archdiocese of Moncton from 1968 to 2012. His withdrawal of any ministry because of “serious allegations of sexual abuse of minors” last summer, as well as the priest Irois Després, was announced to the faithful of the archdiocese Dec 30, 2012.

None of these allegations have been proven in court and the RCMP did not lay charges against Yvon Arsenault although at least one alleged victim complained to police earlier this year.

On May 31, a 60-year-old man from South-eastern New Brunswick, filed a notice of action against Yvon Arsenault and the Archdiocese of Moncton for sexual abuse he suffered when he was only 15 years old.

The plaintiff, who is identified only by his initials in court documents, said he suffered severe psychological problems during his life because of the abuse he had suffered.

Yvon Arsenault is represented by attorneys Robert Basque and Sylvie I. Michaud, who are also lawyers for the Archdiocese of Moncton.

Mr. René A. LeBlanc represents the plaintiff in this case. Both sides previously said they would not comment on the case.

The Archdiocese is also struggling with nine other civil suits for sexual assault allegedly committed Father Camille Léger while working in the parish of Sainte-Thérèse-d’Avila Cap-Pelé, in the decades from 1950 to 1990. Father Léger died in 1990.

___________________________________

Agressions sexuelles: l’ex-curé Yvon Arsenault nie tout

Mathieu Roy-Comeau

[email protected]

le lundi 19 août, 2013

MONCTON – L’ex-curé de la paroisse Saint-Joseph de Shediac nie les allégations d’agressions sexuelles qui pèsent contre lui dans une poursuite au civil.

Dans un document déposé en Cour du Banc de la Reine à Moncton, le 30 juillet, Yvon Arsenault réfute chacune des affirmations du demandeur qui affirme avoir été victime de sévices sexuels aux mains du prêtre durant les années 1970.

L’homme de 71 ans «nie les détails spécifiques des allégations d’abus sexuel et nie que le demandeur a subi les blessures, préjudices, pertes ou dommages allégués», peut-on lire dans l’exposé de la défense.

Yvon Arsenault a pratiqué la prêtrise au sein de l’archidiocèse de Moncton de 1968 à 2012. Son retrait de tout ministère en raison de «sérieuses allégations d’agressions sexuelles sur des mineurs» l’été dernier, de même que celui du curé Irois Després a été annoncé aux fidèles de l’archidiocèse le 30 décembre 2012.

Aucune de ces allégations n’a été prouvée en cour et la GRC n’a pas non plus porté d’accusation contre Yvon Arsenault même si au moins une présumée victime a porté plainte aux autorités policières en début d’année.

Le 31 mai, un homme d’une soixantaine d’années du sud-est du Nouveau-Brunswick a déposé un avis de poursuite contre Yvon Arsenault et l’archidiocèse de Moncton pour des agressions sexuelles qu’il aurait subies alors qu’il n’avait que 15 ans.

Le demandeur qui n’est identifié que par ses initiales dans les documents de la cour affirme avoir souffert de troubles psychologiques sévères sa vie durant en raison des agressions dont il aurait été victime.

Yvon Arsenault est représenté par les avocats Robert Basque et Sylvie I. Michaud qui sont également les avocats de l’archidiocèse de Moncton.

Me René A. LeBlanc représente le demandeur dans ce dossier. Les deux parties ont précédemment indiqué qu’elles ne commenteraient pas l’affaire.

L’archidiocèse est également aux prises avec neuf autres poursuites au civil pour les agressions sexuelles qu’aurait commises le père Camille Léger alors qu’il travaillait dans la paroisse Sainte-Thérèse-d’Avila de Cap-Pelé, dans les décennies allant de 1950 à 1990. Le père Léger est décédé en 1990.

1 Response to Sexual assault: the former priest Yvon Arsenault denies all (with original French text)

  1. Sylvia says:

    I’m curious. Does anyone know if Father Arsenault – or the Archdiocese of Moncton for that matter – denied any of the allegations brought against him and settled out of court via the Bastarache conciliation deal?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *