“Pedophilia: Lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Moncton and a former priest” & original French text

Share Button

Acadie Nouvelle

By Mathieu Roy-Comeau

mathieu.roy-comeau @ acadienouvelle.com

[The following is an unofficial translation of the original attached article (scroll down)]

MONCTON – A alleged victim of Yvon Arsenault begins a civil lawsuit against the former priest of the Archdiocese of Shediac and Moncton.

Yvon Arsenault has been removed from all ministry in the Archdiocese of Moncton in December after “serious allegations of sexual abuse of minors.” The 70-year old man had apparently retired from the priesthood last summer.

No criminal charges were brought against Mr. Arsenault since then, and the RCMP refused to say whether an investigation was opened. However, L’Acadie Nouvelle learned that an alleged victim has filed a civil lawsuit in May against him and his employer, the Archdiocese of Moncton, in the Court of Queen’s Bench.

The alleged victim, a man in his sixties from south-eastern New Brunswick, was repeatedly sexually assaulted by Yvon Arsenault while he was pastor of St. Joseph Parish of Shediac.

The alleged assaults began in the 1970s. At the time, the alleged victim – whose identity cannot be disclosed – was aged 15.

According to the notice of action filed by the plaintiff’s lawyer, Rene A. LeBlanc, the Archdiocese of Moncton would be”indirectly responsible and accountable” for the actions of Mr. Arsenault. The Church would have been aware of the behaviour of the priest and did nothing to identify and support victims, the document states.

Since the alleged assault, the man would have suffered from anxiety, depression and sleep disorders as well as trouble keeping a job.

His lawyer declined to comment on the matter to the newspaper Thursday.

Lawyers for the archdiocese reported to the court last month their intention to present a defense. It has not yet been filed.

The defense lawyer, Sylvie I. Michaud, did not want to issue a comment either.

The plaintiff in this lawsuit is not the first person to publicly claim to be a victim of Yvon Arsenault. In February, Jean-Louis Pitre, from the community of Collette, near Rogersville, told L’Acadie Nouvelle that he experienced sexual abuse at the hands of the priest in the early 1980s when he was a teenager.

The allegations of Mr. Pitre have not been proven in court. Jean-Louis Pitre chose to participate in the conciliation process led by former judge of the Supreme Court, Michel Bastarache, on behalf of the Church.

Since last year, Mr. Bastarache was commissioned by the Archdiocese of Moncton to lead a process of reconciliation with the alleged victims of three its’ priests, Yvon Arsenault, Irois Després, and the late Camille Léger.

By participating in the process led by Michel Bastarache, Mr. Pitre has waived his right to sue the archdiocese in civil court in return for financial compensation. However, he complained to the RCMP in the hope that his alleged abuser goes to criminal trial.

According to the Ontario lawyer in this type of action, Robert Talach, at least one other person would have complained to the police against Yvon Arsenault and two others have the intention to do so.

Reached by telephone on Thursday, Mr. Talach questioned the commitment of the RCMP to bring light to this case.

“Why did the RCMP not yet file charges against him? What is the RCMP doing? For one reason or another, the Shediac RCMP seems to hesitate in this case. Unless they are investigating and we are unaware. It is possible, “said the lawyer.

M Talach represents several New Brunswick clients in other cases involving members of the clergy.

In a precarious financial situation, the Archdiocese of Moncton has recently been forced to make significant cuts in its staff in addition to selling some of its properties. The compensation to victims of Father Camille Leger from Cap-Pelé helped drain the coffers of the organization.

_____________________________________

Pédophilie: poursuite contre l’Archidiocèse de Moncton et un ancien curé

Acadie Nouvelle

jeudi, 11 juillet, 2013

MONCTON – Une présumée victime d’Yvon Arsenault entame une poursuite civile contre l’ex-curé de Shediac et l’Archidiocèse de Moncton.

Yvon Arsenault a été retiré de tout ministère par l’Archidiocèse de Moncton en décembre à la suite de «sérieuses allégations d’agressions sexuelles sur des mineurs.» L’homme de 70 ans avait apparemment pris sa retraite de la prêtrise l’été précédent.

Aucune accusation criminelle n’a été portée contre M. Arsenault depuis et la GRC refuse de préciser si une enquête a été ouverte. L’Acadie Nouvelle a toutefois appris qu’une présumée victime a déposé en mai une poursuite civile contre lui et son employeur, l’Archidiocèse de Moncton, en Cour du Banc de la Reine.

La présumée victime, un homme d’une soixantaine d’années du sud-est du Nouveau-Brunswick, aurait été agressée sexuellement à de multiples reprises par Yvon Arsenault alors qu’il était curé de la paroisse Saint-Joseph de Shediac.

Les agressions auraient débuté dans les années 1970. À l’époque, la présumée victime – dont l’identité ne peut être dévoilée – était âgée de 15 ans.

Selon l’avis de poursuite déposé par l’avocat du plaignant, René A. LeBlanc, l’Archidiocèse de Moncton serait «indirectement responsable et redevable» des actions de M. Arsenault. L’Église aurait été au courant du comportement du curé et n’aurait rien fait pour identifier et soutenir les victimes, rapporte-t-on dans le document.

Depuis les présumées agressions, l’homme souffrirait d’anxiété, de dépression et de troubles du sommeil en plus d’avoir de la difficulté à garder un emploi.

Son avocat n’a pas souhaité commenter l’affaire au journal, jeudi.

Les avocats de l’archidiocèse ont signalé à la cour le mois dernier leur intention de présenter une défense. Celle-ci n’a pas encore été déposée.

L’avocate de la défense, Sylvie I. Michaud, n’a pas voulu non plus émettre de commentaires.

Le plaignant dans cette poursuite n’est pas la première personne à se dire publiquement victime d’Yvon Arsenault. En février, Jean-Louis Pître de la communauté de Collette, près de Rogersville, a raconté à l’Acadie Nouvelle les sévices sexuels qu’il aurait vécus aux mains du curé au début des années 1980 alors qu’il était adolescent.

Les allégations de M. Pître n’ont pas non plus été prouvées en cour. Jean-Louis Pître a choisi de participer au processus de conciliation mené par l’ex-juge de la Cour suprême, Michel Bastarache, au nom de l’Église.

Depuis l’an dernier, Me Bastarache a été mandaté par l’Archidiocèse de Moncton pour mener un processus de conciliation auprès des présumées victimes de trois de ses prêtres, Yvon Arsenault, Irois Després et le défunt Camille Léger.

En participant au processus mené par Michel Bastarache, M. Pître a renoncé à son droit de poursuivre l’archidiocèse au civil en échange d’une compensation financière. Il a cependant porté plainte à la GRC dans l’espoir de voir son agresseur présumé subir un procès criminel.

Selon l’avocat ontarien spécialisé dans ce genre de recours, Robert Talach, au moins une autre personne aurait porté plainte à la police contre Yvon Arsenault et deux autres auraient l’intention de le faire.

Joint au téléphone, jeudi, Me Talach a mis en doute la volonté de la GRC de faire la lumière dans cette affaire.

«Pourquoi la GRC n’a-t-elle pas encore déposé d’accusations contre lui? Qu’est-ce que fait la GRC? Pour une raison ou une autre, la GRC de Shediac semble hésiter dans cette affaire. À moins qu’ils enquêtent, mais que nous ne le sachions pas. C’est possible», a commenté l’avocat.

Me Talach représente plusieurs clients néo-brunswickois dans d’autres affaires impliquant des membres du clergé.

En situation financière précaire, l’Archidiocèse de Moncton a récemment été forcé de faire des coupes importantes au sein de son personnel en plus de se départir de certaines de ses propriétés. Les dédommagements aux victimes du père Camille Léger de Cap-Pelé ont contribué à assécher les caisses de l’organisation.

 

1 Response to “Pedophilia: Lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Moncton and a former priest” & original French text

  1. Sylvia says:

    I really would like to know if the RCMP is still investigating. As most of you know, I am a great believer in seeing those predators who are still alive charged criminally.

Leave a Reply to Sylvia Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *