Exclusive – Two new lawsuits against Yvon Arsenault

Share Button

Acadie Nouvelle

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

By Pascal Raiche-Nogue

[Unofficial translation – scroll down for original French text]

The list of lawsuits against the Church and one of its ex-priests continues to grow. Two more men from the south-east (New Brunswick) alleging that they were sexually assaulted by Yvon Arsenault while they were minors have recently turned to the courts.

These new cases bring to 12 the number of civil suits filed since 2013 against this ex-priest, who is serving a four-year prison sentence for crimes of a sexual nature for which he pleaded guilty last year.

In notices of prosecution filed on June 30 in the Court of Queen’s Bench in Moncton, two plaintiffs allege that Yvon Arsenault assaulted them in 1972 when they were 15 and 17 years old respectively.

They claim that the ex-priest sexually abused them, assaulted and molested them during a trip to Massachusetts. One said that he had a fall in a bathtub during the alleged assault and that he suffered a concussion.

The plaintiffs, who were members of the parishes of Cap-Pelé and Barachois at the time, allege that the ex-priest provided them with alcohol during the trip in question.

One said in his notice of prosecution that he was also sexually assaulted by another priest, Camille Léger, several times from 1967 when he was 10 years old. The assaults would have occurred over a period of two years.

The two notices of prosecution filed in June by these men are directed against Yvon Arsenault and the Archdiocese of Moncton. Applicants argue that the Church has its share of responsibility and should have protected them.

They argue that the archbishops who succeeded one another at the helm of the Archdiocese of Moncton knew or ought to have known that sexual assaults were committed by some of their priests, including Yvon Arsenault.

They report that their lives have been changed forever by what they say they lived in the hands of this ex-priest and that they were deprived of their youth. They claim to have suffered many consequences including depression, anxiety, loss of religious beliefs, shame and pain.

These two men asked the Court of Queen’s Bench to impose various damages on Yvon Arsenault and the Archdiocese of Moncton.

They also want the Court to compel the Archdiocese to transmit to the RCMP all information and documents it has available that deal with allegations of sexual misconduct by its priests and employees.

Their notices of prosecution are in addition to the one filed in June by another South-East man who said he was sexually assaulted by Yvon Arsenault during a trip to the United States in 1972.

The lawyer representing the three plaintiffs, René LeBlanc, did not wish to comment on the filing of these two new prosecutions, but confirmed that the allegations made by these three alleged victims occurred on the same trip.

None of the continuing allegations in these new notices of prosecution were proved in court. Yvon Arsenault and the Archdiocese have not yet responded to the notices of prosecution.

We contacted the Archdiocese of Moncton for comments on Wednesday in the early afternoon. We did not hear back before the deadline.

We also attempted to obtain comments from the lawyer who represented Yvon Arsenault at his last appearance in Moncton without success.

…………………………………..

ORIGINAL FRENCH TEXT :

Exclusif – Deux nouvelles poursuites contre Yvon Arsenault

Par Pascal Raiche-Nogue

Mercredi 26 juillet 2017 – Acadie Nouvelle

La liste de poursuites contre l’Église et l’un de ses ex-prêtres continue de s’allonger.  Deux autres hommes du Sud-Est alléguant avoir été agressés sexuellement par Yvon Arsenault alors qu’ils étaient mineurs se sont récemment tournés vers les tribunaux.

Ces nouveaux dossiers portent à 12 le nombre de poursuites civiles intentées depuis 2013 contre cet ex-prêtre, qui purge une peine d’emprisonnement de quatre ans pour des crimes de nature sexuelle pour lesquels il a plaidé coupable l’année dernière.

Dans des avis de poursuite déposés le 30 juin en Cour du Banc de la Reine à Moncton,  deux demandeurs allèguent qu’Yvon Arsenault s’en est pris à eux en 1972 alors qu’ils étaient âges respectivement de 15 et de 17 ans.

Ils affirment que l’ex-prêtre les a abusés sexuellement, agressés et molestés lors d’un voyage au Massachusetts.  L’un d’eux affirme qu’il a fait une chute dans une baignoire lors de l’agression alléguée et qu’il a subi une commotion cérébrale.

Les demandeurs, qui étaient membres des paroisses de Cap-Pelé et de Barachois à l’époque, allèguent que l’ex-prêtre leur a fourni de l’alcool lors du voyage en question.

L’un deux affirme dans son avis de poursuite qu’il a aussi été agressé sexuellement par un autre prêtre, Camille Léger, à plusieurs reprises à compter de 1967 alors qu’il était âgé de 10 ans.  Les agressions se seraient produites pendant deux ans.

Les deux avis de poursuites déposées en juin par ces hommes visent Yvon Arsenault et l’archidiocèse de Moncton.  Les demandeurs y avancent que l’Église a sa part de responsabilité et qu’elle aurait dû les protéger.

Ils argumentent que les archevêques qui se sont succédés à la barre de l’archidiocèse de Moncton savaient ou auraient dû savoir que des agressions sexuelles étaient commises par certains de leurs prêtres, dont Yvon Arsenault.

Ils rapportent que leur vie a été changée à tout jamais par ce qu’ils dissent avoir vécu aux mains de cet ex-prêtre et qu’ils ont été privés de leur jeunesse.  Ils avancent avoir subi de nombreuses conséquences, dont la dépression, de l’anxiété, la perte de croyances religieuses, de la honte et de la douleur.

Ces deux hommes demandent à la Cour du Banc de la Reine l’imposition de divers dommages et intérêts à Yvon Arsenault et à l’archidiocèse de Moncton.

Ils souhaitent également que la Cour contraigne l’archidiocèse de transmettre à la GRC toutes les informations et les documents dont elle dispose et qui portent sur des allégations d’inconduite sexuelle des prêtres et ses employés.

Leurs avis de poursuite s’ajoutent à celui dépose en juin par un autre homme du Sud-Est qui dit avoir été agressé sexuellement par Yvon Arsenault lors d’un voyage aux États-Unis en 1972.

L’avocat qui représente les trois demandeurs, René LeBlanc, n’a pas souhaité commenter le dépôt de ces deux nouvelles poursuites, mais a confirmé que les faits allégués par ces trois victimes présumées se seraient produits lors du même voyage.

Aucune des allégations continues dans ces nouveaux avis de poursuite n’ont été démontrées en cour.  Yvon Arsenault et l’archidiocèse n’ont pas encore répondu aux avis de poursuite.

Nous avons contacté l’archidiocèse de Moncton pour obtenir ses commentaires, mercredi en début d’après-midi.  Nous n’avons pas eu de ses nouvelles avant l’heure de tombée.

Nous avons aussi tenté d’obtenir des commentaires de la part de l’avocat qui a représenté Yvon Arsenault lors de sa dernière comparution à Moncton, sans succès.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *