Still working on putting together information from that Bathurst Diocese/Aviva insurance ruling🙁 In case you missed the posting, here are links to the decision:
Diocese of Bathurst loses bid to recoup $3.3 million from former insurer AVIVA
07 October 2016: PART ONE: L’Eveque Catholique Romain de Bathurst and Aviva Insurance Company of Canada (contains info re numbers of identified clerical molesters and victims, and info re Father Levi Noel recycling and cover-up
07 October 2016: PART TWO: L’Eveque Catholique de Bathurst and Aviva Insurance Company of Canada (contains info re numbers of identified clerical molesters and victims, and info re Father Levi Noel recycling and cover-up)
07 October 2016: PART THREE: L’Eveque Catholique de Bathurst and Aviva Insurance Company of Canada (contians info re numbers of identified clerical molesters and victims, and info re Father Levi Noel recycling and cover-up
For now, the following info:
(1) In 2003: A settlement with victim of Father Charles Picot (abuse in the 1980s): $64,667.45. Of that, the Diocese paid: $15,917.45 . Three insuring agents, including Aviva, each contributed $16,250.00 (3x$16,250.00=$4,8750.00)
(2) In or about 2006: Settlement with victim of Father Levi Noel paid by diocese: $40,000
(3) 26 priests from Bathurst Diocese were identified as molesters (19 were identified by Michel Bastarache via allegations, and seven were identified in separate court actions. One of the priests identified by initial A.R.)
(4) 114 victims came forward through the conciliation process. some died before compensation determined, some refused compensation offered and some decided to pursue legal action. Some victims were abused by priests from other dioceses.
(3) 83 victims came forward to advance claims within the conciliation process. The following is the breakdown of the outcome:
– 50 victims were paid compensation through the conciliation process
$4,284,000.00 : amount the Diocese calculated it has settled in claims (average $85680/victim)
– 31 victims were compensated outside the conciliation process $2,879.179.00 : As of 05 October 2015 the amount the diocese paid to settle claims outside the conciliation process (average $92876.74/victim)
(4) At the time of the Aviva/Moncton Archdiocese trial there were additional legal actions that had yet to be settled or go to trial
(5) Of first 74 victims identified via the Bastarache conciliation process, 37 (50%) were abused by Father Levi Noel, and seven were abused by Father Picot.
(6) Conciliator fees (read Justice Bastarache?): $407,738.00
(7) Counselling costs for victims amounted to $6,111.00
(8) The personnel files for 15 priests were entered into evidence during the trial. Only the names of Father/MR. Levi Noel and Father Charles Picot have been publicly identified. (The diocese has flatly refused to divulge the names of the other clergy identified as molesters.)
(9) In 1991 Father Noel agreed to pay a victim $5,000.00 in two cheques of $2,500.00 each.
The remainder of the information which will be posted is largely related to the recycling of and cover-up for Father Levi Noel.
After six long years, and on the eve of trial, a lawsuit launched by a victim of convicted, defrocked and deceased serial clerical molester William Hodgson Marshall has settled out of court:
08 November 2016: Sudbury sex scandal resolved
I commend the victim who has now seen both criminal and civil matters through to completion. It’s been long long journey. Well done!
Enough for now,