Disturbing news. I think we have another travesty of justice in the making….
I just found out today that the appeal of Father Bernard Cloutier’s sentencing did not proceed as scheduled at the Ontario Court of Appeal 28 October 2010.
Here are some of the disturbing details:
(1) In November 2009 Cloutier was found guilty and sentenced to five years for the sex abuse of four former altar boys;
(2) Cloutier’s lawyer, Gregory Ellies, had an appeal filed instantaneously. I am told that, in fact, the appeal was filed before sentencing was pronounced;
(3) Because an appeal is in the works, Cloutier has NOT been incarcerated. He is out and about;
(4) I had previously thought that the appeal was on the sentencing. It is now my understanding that it is the conviction itself which is being appealed;
(5) My understanding is that defence arguments which are in the offing include those of collusion between the victims;
(6) The appeal was to be heard by the Ontario Court of Appeal 28 October 2010;
(7) On 01 October 2010 Gregory Ellies was appointed Judge of the Ontario Court of Justice:
ONTARIO JUDICIAL APPOINTMENTS ANNOUNCED
OTTAWA, October 1, 2010 – The Honourable Rob Nicholson, P.C., Q.C., M.P. for Niagara Falls, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, today announced the following appointments:
The Honourable M. Gregory Ellies, partner with Lucenti, Orlando & Ellies Professional Corporation in North Bay, is appointed a Judge of the Superior Court of Justice of Ontario in Sault Ste. Marie to replace Mr. Justice G. Tranmer, who was transferred to Kingston effective July 5, 2010.
Mr. Justice Ellies received a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in 1981 and a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) in 1984 from the University of Western Ontario. He was admitted to the Ontario Bar in 1986.
Mr. Justice Ellies has been a partner with Lucenti, Orlando & Ellies since 1997. He was also a partner at Donnelly, Birnie (1990-1997), Birnie & McMillan (1988-1990) and at Ellies & Saltstone (1986-1988). His main areas of practice were civil litigation and criminal law. He was recognized as a certified specialist in civil litigation in 2004.
Mr. Justice Ellies was a member of the Ontario Bar Association, the Advocates’ Society and the Criminal Lawyers Association (1999-2006). He taught criminal and constitutional law part-time at Nipissing University (1987-1989) and is a current member of the Board of Governors. He has been a frequent speaker at schools, Canadore College, Nipissing University and the Rotary Club.
(8) Because Ellies was no longer available to argue Cloutier’s cause, the hearing date of 28 October 2010 was cancelled;
(9) Cloutier has retained the services of Toronto lawyer Brian Greenspan (Greenspan Humphrey Lavine);.
(10) Greenspan will have to familiarise himself with the file before an appeal date is set
(11) Lawyers with the firm Greenspan Humphrey Lavine include David Humphrey and Jill Makepeace.
(12) According to previous media coverage, the Diocese of Sault Ste Marie is not paying for Cloutier’s defence.
(13) I understand that plans are afoot to re-interview all of the victims
Here we go again. The victims are liars. They huddled together and made it up.
Does it never end?
And Cloutier, a convicted molester sentenced to five years in jail, is out and about. Has he so much as served a single day of his five year sentence? I think not.
I will be back later. ……news on a convicted clerical molester who, with the bishop’s approval, has been functioning as a priest for the past eight to ten years.
Enough for now,