Priest Apologizes For Trying To Raise Funds For Accused Sex Abuser

Share Button

CBS Boston

March 29, 2012 4:55 PM

BOSTON (CBS) – A Roslindale priest has apologized after attempting to raise a legal defense fund for another priest accused of sexually abusing a child.

Monsignor Francis Kelley of Sacred Heart Church in Roslindale is apologizing for putting an item in the church bulletin urging financial support for Father John Mendicoa.

Kelley issued his apology and promised that it won’t happen again as advocates for children abused by priests went to Sacred Heart to protest.

David Clossey of the survivors network for those abused by priests says those who wish to support Mendicoa should do so privately, without any use of church resources.

Mendicoa was placed on leave last year after an accuser came forward with an allegation dating back to the 1980s.

1 Response to Priest Apologizes For Trying To Raise Funds For Accused Sex Abuser

  1. Mike Mc says:

    There is so much abuse within the Church I suggest the courts should appoint a lawyer that is gov paid. Or Father John Mendicoa should read up on the judicial inquiries and proceedures and defend himself. Why not?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *