Prosecutors considering new pedophilia charge against former Belgian bishop

Share Button

google.com

19 April 2011

By The Associated Press

BRUSSELS — The prosecutor’s office in Belgium says it is considering filing a new pedophilia charge against a former Belgian bishop who already has admitted abusing two nephews.

The new complaint centres on allegations that Roger Vangheluwe and another priest sexually abused two young altar boys during a camp several decades ago, said Wenke Rogge, a spokeswoman for the prosecutor’s office.

In a televised interview last week, Vangheluwe sought to minimize his abuse against the two nephews. He was forced to resign one year ago when he admitted sexually abusing one nephew for 13 years until he was 18. Vangheluwe has left the country for counselling.

The Vatican has ordered him to stop working as a priest while it determines his punishment.

2 Responses to Prosecutors considering new pedophilia charge against former Belgian bishop

  1. Sylvia says:

    I will add to this some information which I received on this two days ago and had yet to post. It is a translation – the original is below:

    1. Sunday, April 17, 2011 (Reuters) According to the website of the weekly magazine Humo assistant priest Joseph Lagast (90) is the confessor of the former Bishop of Bruges Roger Vangheluwe. (this is an unusual role for an assistant priest)
    2. Recently Joseph Lagast was featured in Belgian magazine HUMO with Marc Gesquière, a leading RC cleric in Kortrijk, Belgium (Note: Gesquiere recently commit suicide; reports of blackmail are believed to be a factor in his death). In the photo, Legast is with Gesquière at the altar next to Anthony Vanden Hende, the pastor of Bellegem (who is currently being prosecuted on charges of theft). Note: the articles surrounding Gesquiere’s death described large scale covert homosexual activity. Lieve might know more.
    3. Lagast remains the confessor of the former bishop. They know each other because they are from the same provincial city: Roeselare
    4. In the 1960s, Legast and a young Vangheluwe supervised youth camps for altar boys. Lagast reacted negatively to that statement: “We were not working at camps together, where do you get that?” But according to HUMO magazine, they did. This appears confirmed by independent sources – see below.
    5. According to a tip received last week at the federal police in Brussels, Legast and Vangheluwe supervised a RC summer camp for altar boys. A 59-year-old man from Roeselare reported abuse by Vangheluwe and Lagast of two altar boys. These altar boys were not allowed to play with the other kids. “For lack of space in the dormitory they were not with the other boys and they had to sleep in the room of the priests. In the morning they had pain when they sat down. “According to the Humo article, the abuse of the boys had dramatic results (I have not been able to determine what this sentence means. I think it might mean that the abuse had a major impact on the victims and may have resulted in a pattern of self harm. There is no indication the victims are alive.)
    ……………………….

    Humo: Jozef Lagast (90) is biechtvader van Roger Vangheluwe
    zondag 17 april 2011 om 14u58

    (Belga) Volgens de website van het weekblad Humo is priester Jozef Lagast (90) de biechtvader van de oud-bisschop van Brugge Roger Vangheluwe. Lagast is hulppastoor in Aalbeke en volgens Humo ook de man die Vangheluwe er vijftig jaar geleden toe aanzette om priester te worden.

    Jozef Lagast heeft anderhalve maand geleden al eens in Humo gestaan. Bij het artikel over de Kortrijkse deken Marc Gesquière, die plotseling was verdwenen en wiens lijk intussen is teruggevonden, stond een foto van Gesquière bij het altaar naast Antoon Vandenhende, de pastoor van Bellegem die wordt vervolgd op beschuldiging van diefstal: hij zou volgens het blad met gestolen geld afpersers hebben betaald voor beelden van seksfeestjes. Tussen hen in staat op de foto Jozef Lagast, hulppastoor in Aalbeke, voorganger van Vandenhende als pastoor van Bellegem en diens vaste vertrouwenspersoon. Jozef Lagast stelde aan een Humo-journalist dat hij lang geleden de biechtvader van Roger Vangheluwe was toen die nog naar school ging op de VMS in Roeselare. “Ik heb contact met hem gehouden tot hij naar het seminarie ging”. Volgens een West-Vlaamse niet bij naam genoemde priester “is het onduidelijk of Lagast na de bisschopswijding van Vangheluwe ook zijn biechtvader is gebleven. De codex stimuleert dat niet: een ondergeschikte mag een overste niet de biecht afnemen. Maar ik sluit het niet uit, integendeel: ik verneem uit uitstekende bron dat Lagast tot vandaag de biechtvader van de oud-bisschop zou zijn.” Lagast minimaliseert de hechte relatie met Vangheluwe. Ze kennen elkaar omdat ze nu eenmaal uit dezelfde provinciestad afkomstig zijn: Roeselare – meer hoeven we daar niet achter te zoeken, zo verluidt. Humo vernam anderzijds, zo staat te lezen op de site, dat de jonge Vangheluwe en Lagast samen jeugdkampen hebben begeleid. Lagast stuift op bij die vaststelling: ‘Wij deden geen jongerenkampen samen, waar háált u dat?’ Maar volgens het blad deden ze het wél, althans luidens een tip die vorige week is binnengekomen bij de federale politie van Brussel. In de jaren zestig zouden ze samen een kamp voor misdienaars hebben begeleid, waar hun seksuele drift slachtoffers heeft gemaakt. Een 59-jarige man uit Roeselare heeft melding gemaakt van misbruik door Vangheluwe én Lagast van twee misdienaars. Die misdienaars mochten niet met de andere kinderen samenspelen. ‘Bij gebrek aan ruimte op de slaapzaal mochten ze ook niet bij de andere jongens slapen en moesten ze de nacht in de kamers van de priesters doorbrengen. ‘s Morgens hadden ze pijn als ze aan tafel gingen zitten.’ Het is dramatisch met de jongens afgelopen, aldus het artikel op de site van Humo. (JDV)

  2. Sylvia says:

    One more comment here. Father Eric Dejaeger is also from Roeselare. According to Lieve, he knew Vangheluwe well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *