RCMP say no charges will be filed against Bishop Lahey in Nova Scotia

Share Button
 Canadian Press
23 April 2010
(CP) – 

    

HALIFAX, N.S. — The RCMP say no charges will be laid in Nova Scotia against a bishop accused of possessing child pornography in Ottawa after they concluded their investigation into him in the province.

 The Mounties said Friday they have completed an “in-depth and thorough analysis” of computers and storage devices that were seized during searches last October from Bishop Raymond Lahey’s former residences in Antigonish and Sydney.

 The Mounties say no criminal charges will be laid based on their examination of those electronic devices.

 The RCMP is returning the seized computers and storage devices to the diocese of Antigonish.

 The 69-year-old bishop was charged with possessing and importing child pornography on Sept. 25 – 10 days after he was detained and questioned by Canada Border Services Agency officers as he re-entered Canada from the United Kingdom at Ottawa airport.

 Lahey stepped down as bishop of the diocese in Antigonish and has been staying with other priests in Ottawa since he was granted bail last year.

 Last October, RCMP said they had seized one apartment in the search of an apartment in Sydney. Another two computers were seized in Antigonish during a search of Lahey’s home and his office in the town.

 Police said at the time the searches in Antigonish and Sydney were conducted as a result of information obtained from the Ottawa police and a follow up investigation in Nova Scotia.

 Copyright © 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *