Stock: Father John Stock (Fr. Gerard Stock) sfm

Share Button

John Gerald Stock

Gerry Stock

Gerard Stock

Priest with order of Scarboro Foreign Mission Society (sfm)  Served in Diocese London Ontario and elsewhere.  Ordained 21 August 1960.  June 1998 lawsuit re sex abuse of boy. Charged x 3 and GUILTy plea x 3.  One set of charges started with 68 charges related to sex abuse of 16 boys (age nine to 15) between 1959 and 1981 – Stock entered guilty plea to 34 charges.  All of his sentences were conditional and to run concurrently.  Sentencing for the 34 convictions was either two years, or two-years-less-a-day;  he was put on three years probation, ordered to apologize to his victims , do 240 hours of community service, and barred from being around young people without adult supervision.

In court his lawyer alleged that Father Stock had received  ‘very serious treatment’  for his sexual problems years before the first charges surfaced (June 1998).

A victim of Stock was later sexually abused by Father Cameron J. MacLean

________________________________

29 February 2012:  BLOG Can you believe it?

24 January 1999:  I’m ashamed says ex priest

_________________________________

The following information is drawn from Canadian Catholic Church Directories (CCCD) which I have on hand, the 1980 Ontario Catholic Directory  (OCD) and media (M)

2011, 2010:  listed in index as Gerard Stock. (CCCD) address 2685 Kingston Rd., Scarborough = head office for Scarboro Foreign Mission Society  (Superior General:  Father John [Jack] Lynch) (CCCD)

30 July – 11 August 2006:  participant in Scarboro Lay Gathering and Scarboro Reunion 2006 (see picture)

2002, 2000, 1999:  address 2685 Kingston Rd., Scarborough = head office for Scarboro Foreign Mission Society.  Phone number for Scarboro Foreign Mission Society (Superior General Father John [Jack] Lynch) (CCCD)

doing administrative work at Scarborough Foreign Missions in Toronto.

Friday 22 January 1999:  issued a court-imposed apology to his victims at a community centre (M)   (I’m ashamed says ex priest ) Stock told the 60 victims and their family members that he had been sexually abused as boy (M)

14 January 1999:  12-month conditional sentence for GUILTY  plea to charge of sex abuse of a former altar boy. The sentence is to run concurrent to the two-years-less-a-day received in Stratford in December.   The conviction relates to abuse of a boy while Stock was serving at Blessed Sacrament in London, Ontario (M) (I believe this is the outcome of the charges laid July 1998)

1998: address 2685 Kingston Rd., Scarborough = head office for Scarboro Foreign Mission Society.  Phone number for Scarboro Foreign Mission Society (Superior General Father John [Jack] Lynch) (CCCD)

December 1998:  GUILTY plea (in Stratford Ontario court) to 34 counts of gross indecency (M) Sentenced to two year conditional sentence and 240 hours community service (M)

September 1998:  Police (OPP)  laid 68 charges (34 each of indecent assault and gross indecency) related to sex abuse allegations of 16 men .  These allegations relate to abuse committed in the Kinkora area (M)

July 1998:  charged by London Ontario police in relation to sex assault 21-years ago (M)

June 1998:  GUILTY plea in London Ontario court to sex abuse of former altar boy.  Conditional sentence to be served in the community (M)

1997, 1996, 1995, 1993, 1992:  listed in index as Gerard Stock. (CCCD) address 2685 Kingston Rd., Scarborough = head office for Scarboro Foreign Mission Society.  Phone number for Scarboro Foreign Mission Society (Superior General Father Brian Swords)

according to media reports Father Stock’s lawyer Frank Marrocco “said years before the first charges surfaced, Stock had sought ‘very serious treatment’ for his sexual problem and continues to be active with a group similar to AA.”   Is that why he isn’t listed in the CCCD in the mid 80s to early 90s?  What, I wonder, prompted Father Stock to seek “very serious treatment”?

1991:  not listed in index (CCCD)

1985-1986:  not listed in index (CCCD)

1980: index lists address as Colony One, Apt. 4002, 420 Central Ave., London, Ontario. Phone: 519-672-1508 (OCD)

According to media reports may have been serving at Blessed Sacrament RC Church in London.  The pastor at Blessed Sacrament in the 1980 OCD is Father F. L. Murphy (OCD)

1980:  St. Cecilia Roman Catholic Church, Nassau Bahamas (I think this is him, Father Gerald Stock sfm – online website)

1974:  Blessed Sacrament Roman Catholic Church, London, Ontario (M)

abuse of one victim started while Stock was at Blessed Sacrament in 1974 (M)

1973-74:  not listed in index (CCCD)

1971-72:  not listed in index (CCCD)

1968-69:  Cat Island, Bahamas (CCCD) (Regional Superior in Bahamas Father G. McKernan)

21 August 1967:  ORDAINED

raised in Kinkora, Onatrio.  Returned to Kinkora during the summer months.  Many of Stick’s victims were sexually molested in Kinkora

______________________

PRIEST SENTENCED AGAIN FOR SEX OFFENCE

London Free Press

28 January 1999

A former Roman Catholic priest  in London was given a conditional sentence of 12 months yesterday for the last of a long string of sexual assaults on young altar boys dating back to the 1950s.

Rev. John Gerard Stock, 69, who has not been active as a priest  for some time, pleaded guilty. His sentence is to be served in the community and includes being barred from young people without adult supervision. He also was ordered to abstain from alcohol — except for communal wine.

Stock pleaded guilty to gross indecency dating back to the mid- 1970s when he was a priest  at Blessed Sacrament Catholic church on Oxford Street East. The victim, an altar boy, was 10 to 12 years old at the time.

Assistant Crown attorney Mike Thompson said the sexual contact began after Stock took the boy on a regular visit to a London hospital and then back to his home.

There, he fondled the boy and himself before taking the youth into a bedroom, stripping him and engaging in acts of masturbation. Thompson said there were five such incidents.

He said the victim came forward after Stock pleaded guilty last June to indecently assaulting another London altar boy 20 years ago. Both victims have launched civil actions.

In June, Judge Walter Bell gave Stock  a 12-month conditional sentence, a penalty created for offenders who are not considered violent, a danger to the community or a risk to reoffend.

The sentences are all concurrent to the two-years-less-a-day conditional sentence Stock received in Stratford last month after pleading guilty to 34 counts of gross indecency, spanning 22 years from 1959 to 1981 and involving 16 young males.

He said the Perth County victims came forward because of newspaper reports about Stock’s case last June. Yesterday’s charge is the last facing the disgraced priest. “He hopes to finally put to rest the long-standing problem he has had.”

Marrocco said years before the first charges surfaced, Stock had sought “very serious treatment” for his sexual problem and continues to be active with a group similar to AA.

The former priest now lives at the Scarborough Foreign Mission in Toronto where he does administration work. The Society has ensured he has no contact with young people, Marrocco said.

Thompson said the one-year sentence was a joint Crown-defence submission because the charge should have been dealt with in Stratford and become part of that sentence.

Livingstone said the conditional sentence is appropriate in the circumstances.

Stock  sought help long before the police got on to him and he has shown remorse by his guilty pleas.

She called the priest’s actions “an abhorrent breach of trust” for someone in his unique position of power over a vulnerable youth.

The Stratford sentence also puts Stock on three years’ probation and requires him to do 240 hours of community service in Scarborough.

______________________________

London Free Press

10 September 1998

STRATFORD, Ontario — The Ontario Provincial Police said that Fr. John Gerald Stock, 69, had been arrested at the mission where he was living, and faces 68 sex-related charges involving 16 children dating back to 1959.

Fr. Jack Lynch, superior-general of the mission, refused specific comment on the charges. However, he said that Stock has been suspended from any priestly functions.

Stock grew up in the small hamlet of Kinkora and, while he worked for the church over the years in Ontario and around the world, he would return to his hometown in the summer. Police said 16 males aged nine to 15 were assaulted between 1959 and 1981 in the Kinkora area.

OPP said the charges followed a six-week investigation. Stock faces 34 counts each of indecent assault and gross indecency.

In addition to the OPP charges, the police confirmed they charged Stock on July 6 with sexual assault involving an incident 21 years ago. Stock pleaded guilty in June in London court to indecently assaulting an altar boy years ago and received a 12-month conditional sentence. Stock was a priest at a parish there at the time.

Shortly after that court case, the family of the altar boy filed a $32-million lawsuit against the Roman Catholic Church, the Diocese of London and two bishops.

_______________________

Priest faces 68 sex charges

Toronto Globe and Mail

10 September 1998

By Gay Abbate

A 69-year-old Roman Catholic priest from Toronto has been charged with 68 sex-related charges.

The priest, who is a member of the Scarborough Foreign Missions, was charged after the Ontario Provincial Police received complaints from 16 men in the Kinkora area, northwest of Stratford. Police said that the complainants were aged 9 to 15 at the time of the alleged assaults.

The priest is to appear in court later this month on charges of indecent assault and gross indecency.

_______________________________

Excerpt from online summary of The Good Father :  Timeline for Charles Sylvestre and the Roman Catholic Diocese of London Ontario  (the fifth estate)

“January, 1999: In a second conviction for sex crimes, Father John Stock pleads guilty to gross indecency against a young boy. He is sentenced to 12 months in jail.”

_____________________________

LONDON ONTARIO PRIEST 68 SEX CHARGES

London Free Press

10 September 1998

By John Herbert — Free Press Reporter

A Roman Catholic priest who once served a London parish faces 68 new sex-related charges involving 16 children dating back decades. Rev. John Gerard Stock, 69, was arrested Tuesday at the Scarborough Foreign Mission where he now lives. He is charged with 34 counts each of indecent assault and gross indecency. Ontario Provincial Police said the charges stem from a six-week investigation into incidents involving 16 males between the ages of nine and 15 who said they were assaulted between 1959 and 1981 in the
area of Kinkora, north of Stratford. In addition to the OPP charges, London police Sgt. John O’Flaherty confirmed yesterday city police charged Stock on July 6 with
sexual assault involving an incident 21 years ago. He is scheduled to appear in London court Sept. 18 and in Stratford court Sept. 28. Stock pleaded guilty in June in London court to indecently assaulting an altar boy years ago. He received a 12-month conditional sentence, which he’s serving in the community. He was a priest at Blessed Sacrament Catholic church on Oxford Street East at the time. Stock grew up in Kinkora and although he served the Roman Catholic Church over the years in London, Toronto and other countries around the world, he frequently returned to his home town during the summers.

Word of Stock’s arrest in the Toronto area shocked residents of Kinkora yesterday.

‘EXTREMELY UPSET’

“I think people who belong to the church are going to be extremely upset,” said Debie Gibb, who lives about three kilometres from St. Patrick’s Parish of Kinkora. “I’m not Catholic but I’m sure they will be totally devastated. It’s a tight community.” Emery Gaunt, 86, said he has known Stock all his life. He said he was shocked to learn of the charges.

“You just don’t know any more,” Gaunt said. “He was such a nice person, an excellent person. I think many people would say the same thing.” Another area resident, who asked not to be identified, said he was caught off guard by the charges.

“It’s depressing to hear these things because I know some of the people (victims) and the man you’re talking about. I find it hard to believe — very hard to believe.” OPP Const. Darren Bulbrook, of the Sebringville detachment, said police began their investigation after a victim from the Kinkora area read about the London case. Bulbrook said the man brought with him a list of people he believed were victims and police began to contact
them. “It snowballed from there,” Bulbrook said, adding all the complainants related to the new charges were from Perth County. Bulbrook said Stock was “well respected in the community and stayed with people who were members of St. Patrick’s parish.” Stock’s superiors in Toronto, where he’s no longer active as a priest but does some administrative work for the mission society, have undertaken to keep the priest away from the company of anyone under age 16 unless an adult is present. Father Jack Lynch, superior-general of the mission, refused specific comment on the charges yesterday. But, he said “since we’ve been made aware of the charges, he has been suspended from any priestly functions.”

$32-MILLION LAWSUIT

Shortly after the June conviction in London, the family of an altar boy
filed a $32-million lawsuit against the Roman Catholic Church, the Diocese
of London and two bishops. The statement of claim by the now father of two
claims the assaults in the 1970s and early 1980s, when he was between eight
and 12 years old, have left him permanently traumatized both physically and
mentally, ruined his chance for a good education and job and diminished his
enjoyment of life and religion. A second priest, now in Windsor, was also
named in the suit. He is before the courts there on allegations involving
two different males. Diocesan officials said they would investigate the
claims.
with files from Sun Media Newspapers

______________________________

PRIEST FACES SEX CHARGES

Toronto Star

10 September 1998

A 69-year-old Roman Catholic priest from Toronto faces 68 sex- related charges. Police said John Stock of the Scarborough Foreign Mission is facing charges of indecent assault and gross indecency. Police acted on complaints from 16 men.

_________________________

Church, priests sued in sex assault of boy

Toronto Star

10 June 1998

Mark Bellis

LONDON, Ont. – The Catholic church, former Toronto archbishop G. Emmett Cardinal Carter and two priests are among those being sued for $32 million by a man who was sexually assaulted by one of the priests when he was 8 years old.

Rev. John Stock, 68, of Scarborough, pleaded guilty last week to indecent assault of the victim, who cannot be named by court order, and received a 12-month community sentence. Stock is one of two priests named in the suit.

“The church has to be made accountable for what they are doing to people,” said London lawyer Ted Madison, who filed the statement of claim Monday.

The claim, filed on behalf of Madison’s adult client and his two children, states that as a result of the assaults in the 1970s and the church’s failure to act, the victim requires ongoing medical care and can’t enjoy life.

His children “have lost the guidance, care and companionship” of their father, it says.

The other priest named in the suit is not facing criminal charges in connection with the complainant’s case. But the priest, now living in Windsor, has been charged with indecent assault of two other young males in the early 1970s.

The statement of claim, which contains allegations that have yet to be proven in court, says Stock and the other priest assaulted the complainant when he was a member of Blessed Sacrament parish in London, starting in 1974.

It says Carter, their bishop until 1978, and John Sherlock, who succeeded him and is currently bishop of London, knew or ought to have known about the alleged assaults and failed to protect the victim.

Rev. Tony Daniels, vicar-general of the London diocese, said the diocese had not yet been served with the statement of claim, but would be consulting its lawyers.

____________________________

June 3, 1998 London Free Press (Ontario) Don Murray

PRIEST ADMITS INDECENT ASSAULT OF ALTAR BOY

A one-time Roman Catholic priest in London admitted during a court appearance Tuesday to indecently assaulting an altar boy about 20 years ago. Rev. John Gerard Stock, 68, now of Scarborough, was given a 12-month conditional sentence, which he will serve in the community. Assistant Crown attorney Mike Thompson said Stock was a priest at Blessed Sacrament Catholic church at 1057 Oxford St. E. and his victim, now an adult, was an altar boy between nine and 11 years old.

He said the charge deliberately spans the years 1977-81 because the boy was so young he couldn’t pinpoint the date of the assault. Thompson told Judge Walter Bell that the boy’s parents were active in the church and gave permission for him to accompany Stock on his rounds away from the church. One day, said the Crown, the boy went with Stock to several hospitals before going to the priest’s home for dinner.

STRIPPED BOY’S CLOTHING

Stock broached the subject of sex by asking the boy about the size of his penis and then stripped him of his clothing in the bedroom. Thompson said the priest undressed and stretched out beside the boy and performed a form of masturbation, which ended in his ejaculation. There was no penetration. Stock cleaned the boy up and they had supper, said the prosecutor. He told the boy what they had done was quite normal. Thompson told Bell he was withdrawing a second charge of gross indecency because it is encompassed in
the main charge. Stock’s lawyer, Frank Marrocco, told the judge the conditional sentence was a joint submission with the Crown. The sentence was created for offenders who are not considered violent, a danger to the community or a risk to re-offend. Marrocco told Bell that Stock’s superiors in Toronto have undertaken to keep the priest away from the
company of anyone under age 16 unless an adult is present. Bell wove that condition into his probation order.

In an interview, Marrocco said Stock is not active as a priest and was placed on administrative duties with the Scarborough Foreign Mission Society before the London charges were laid. Meanwhile, the lawyer for Stock’s victim said he will file suit for “substantial damages” in the near future. Ted Madison said the statement of claim will name Stock, the diocese of London and various church officials.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>