Former priest to face more charges in sex abuse case

Share Button

George Smith removed from duties in P.E.I. in 2010; new allegations are from Nova Scotia

CBC News

Posted: Apr 9, 2012 12:01 PM NT

Last Updated: Apr 9, 2012 1:37 PM NT

Former Roman Catholic priest George Smith is facing more charges related to an ongoing sexual abuse investigation.

Smith was supposed to appear at Newfoundland and Labrador Supreme Court in Corner Brook Monday morning for arraignment.

The Crown prosecutor says Smith’s case had to be postponed because the investigation uncovered more allegations, this time from Nova Scotia.

The Crown says there’s at least one more charge to be added to the list of 62 already laid against Smith.

Smith was working at St. Malachy’s Church in Kinkora, P.E.I., in 2010 when he was removed from his duties after a complaint about an incident alleged to have occurred during his time in western Newfoundland. He served in Deer Lake from 1986 to 1991.

Smith went to Prince Edward Island in 1994.

He was charged in December 2011 after a lengthy investigation by the RCMP.

Another 24 sexual abuse charges were laid in February, bringing the total number to 62.

Smith had been a parish priest in western Newfoundland in the 1980s.

2 Responses to Former priest to face more charges in sex abuse case

  1. Sylvia says:

    Charges from Nova Scotia?!

    Where, I wonder, in Nova Scotia? He’s now living in Truro, NS. Is it from Truro?

    I suppose in due course we shall find out.

    So, another cancelled court date, But another complainant has come forward, so that I suppose is a good. I am surprised though that by the sound of things the charge from Nova Scotia is going to be joined with those from Newfoundland.

    I will see if I can find any more coverage with more details online.

  2. Sylvia says:

    Here’s a little more info. The NS charge involves one of the Newfoundland complainants, and there may be charges from New Brunswick as well.

    From today’s Corner Brook Western Star:

    Former local priest facing at least an additional charge

    The Western Star

    Published on April 9, 2012

    A Roman Catholic priest already facing 62 charges could be facing more charges when he appears in court again in Corner Brook next month.

    The matter of George Ansel Smith, 74, was called in Supreme Court Monday morning. The former local priest was not present and his lawyer Thomas Williams appeared via telephone. It was set over until May 7 as Crown attorney Trina Simms is awaiting the transfer of another charge, involving one of the same victims, from Nova Scotia. She said there is a possibility of further charges out of New Brunswick as well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>