Scope reduced for former N.S. bishop’s child-porn trial

Share Button
 Ottawa Citizen
 
December 3, 2010 3:03 PM
By Andrew Seymour   
 

(Raymond Lahey, 69, who stepped down abruptly as the bishop of Antigonish in Nova Scotia, at the Ottawa Police station.

Photograph by: Bruno Schlumberger, The Ottawa Citizen)

OTTAWA – The trial for a former Nova Scotia bishop accused of possessing and importing child pornography has been shortened to three days next May.

Raymond Lahey’s trial was originally scheduled to take nine days, beginning in late April.

Lahey’s lawyer, Michael Edelson, told Ontario Court Justice Lise Maisonneuve on Friday that he and the Crown had narrowed the issues and no longer required the extra six days. Lahey’s trial is now set for May 4 to 6.

In October, Edelson cancelled five days in November that had been set aside for Lahey to argue that authorities had violated his Charter rights.

Lahey was charged with possession and importation of child pornography last September after his laptop computer was searched and seized when the Roman Catholic priest got off a flight from Britain.

According to court documents, Lahey was flagged by customs authorities when he landed because his passport revealed extensive travel to countries notorious as sources of the illicit material.

aseymour@ottawacitizen.com

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

One Response to Scope reduced for former N.S. bishop’s child-porn trial

  1. Sylvia says:

    So how does the stuff which was going to make for a NINE day trial get whittled down to three? And, who benefits?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *