Former Roman Catholic bishop’s trial set for May 4

Share Button

Reverend Raymond Lahey makes his way into the courthouse in Ottawa on Friday, Oct. 9, 2009. (Adrian Wyld / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Reverend Raymond Lahey makes his way into the courthouse in Ottawa on Friday, Oct. 9, 2009. (Adrian Wyld / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Reverend Raymond Lahey makes his way into the courthouse in Ottawa on Friday, Oct. 9, 2009. (Adrian Wyld / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

 CTV

Date: Friday Dec. 3, 2010 11:05 AM ET

The Canadian Press

OTTAWA — Roman Catholic Bishop Raymond Lahey is set to face trial May 4-6 on child pornography charges.

The trial was originally scheduled to begin in late April and run into May, but that was changed Friday during a court hearing.

Lahey’s lawyer, Michael Edelson, told the judge he won’t need as many days as first thought.

Lahey, 70, was not in court.

The former head of the diocese in Antigonish, N.S., was charged in September 2009 with possessing and importing child pornography. He was arrested after border agents searched his laptop at Ottawa airport as he arrived from Britain.

Police say they found hundreds of files and dozens of videos on Lahey’s laptop, many of them showing young males engaged in sex acts.

______________________________

N.S. bishop to stand trial in May

CBC

Last Updated: Friday, December 3, 2010 | 11:30 AM ET

The Canadian Press

The former head of the Antigonish diocese Bishop Raymond Lahey will stand trial in May on child pornography charges.
The former head of the Antigonish diocese Bishop Raymond Lahey will stand trial in May on child pornography charges. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

                                    

Bishop Raymond Lahey will stand trial next May.

The former head of the diocese of Antigonish, Nova Scotia, was charged in September 2009 with possessing and importing child pornography.

Lawyers for the 70-year-old appeared in an Ottawa court today to confirm trial dates.

Lahey was not there.

Prior to his appointment in Antigonish, the Newfoundland native, served as bishop for the diocese of St. George’s in Newfoundland. He was also a professor of theology at Memorial University in St. John’s.

He resigned from the Antigonish diocese following the charges.

One Response to Former Roman Catholic bishop’s trial set for May 4

  1. Sylvia says:

    No guilty plea in the offing here. Today the trial date was simply rescheduled for 04, 05 &-06 May 2011.

    Seems a decision has been made that the trial can be wrapped up in a matter of three days (the courtroom had previously been booked for the last week of April running through into May.)

    Does this mean his defence will be that someone got at his computer and downloaded all that filth? and/or that there’s no proof the boys were minors? and/or that the males pictured shaved their armpits and pubic hair?

    Whatever the defence, it’s going on to trial.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *