Court reserves decision in Father MacKenzie extradition review

Share Button

Father Robert MacKenzie, fighting extradition to Scotland on sex abuse allegations, applied for a judicial review of a surrender order.

Regina Leader Post

Updated: December 4, 2019

Father Robert MacKenzie, appearing for an appeal of an extradition order back to Scotland, where he faces sexual assault allegations leaves with his defence lawyer Alan McIntyre in Regina on Wednesday, December 4, 2019. TROY FLEECE / Regina Leader-Post

The Saskatchewan Court of Appeal has reserved its decision in an extradition case involving a Catholic priest facing physical and sexual abuse charges in Scotland.

Now 87, Father Robert MacKenzie used a walker to get into and out of court on Wednesday, when his lawyer Alan McIntyre and the lawyer for the federal government made representations on an application for judicial review of a government-issued surrender order under the Extradition Act. Details of evidence and submissions heard in court can’t be reported because of a court-imposed publication ban.

As is usual for the Court of Appeal, a date for the return of its decision has not been set.

According to previously reported information, MacKenzie faces allegations spanning 30 years — between the 1950s and 1980s — when he served as a Benedictine monk at two boys’ boarding schools.

McIntyre previously stated MacKenzie, “categorically denies now, and he has denied under oath to the minister of justice, that he was involved in any sexual impropriety.”

Father Robert Mackenzie, appearing for an appeal of an extradition order back to Scotland, where he faces sexual assault allegations, leaves the Regina courthouse with his defence lawyer Alan McIntyre on Wednesday, December 4, 2019. TROY FLEECE / Regina Leader-Post

Earlier this year, the Archdiocese of Regina sent a letter to its pastors and parishes, advising them of the Scottish charges against MacKenzie. The archdiocese reported the authorities had obtained a surrender order from Canada’s minister of justice. Surrender orders don’t end matters of extradition, although they are an important step. By applying to the province’s highest court for a judicial review of that order, MacKenzie is continuing to fight extradition.

McIntyre previously expressed a concern the justice minister hadn’t taken MacKenzie’s poor health into account when making its order.

Citing the publication ban, the federal ministry previously declined to comment, although a spokesperson confirmed “the ministerial process in this case is ongoing.”

No allegations of sexual abuse have been made against MacKenzie pertaining to his time serving communities in Saskatchewan, the archdiocese has said. MacKenzie — who arrived in Canada in the late 1980s — served briefly in Regina, then spent a lengthy time in Cupar as well as the neighbouring Lipton and Dysart. MacKenzie was reportedly well-liked in Cupar, where he was known to many as “Father Bob.” He retired in 2002, although he continued to assist other priests with their tasks.

The archdiocese has said it first learned in 2013 of the Scottish allegations against MacKenzie. A spokesman for the archdiocese said efforts were made at that time to prevent MacKenzie’s involvement with children and, when the investigation gathered steam a few years later, MacKenzie was removed from his role as priest and moved to a home for retired priests in Regina.

Pending a final decision in the matter, MacKenzie remains free in the community on conditions.

McIntyre previously called it irresponsible for the archdiocese to send out a letter to parishes and the media on allegations that haven’t been proven in court, adding the publicity will further damage his client’s reputation.

Media in the United Kingdom have been reporting on abuse in the two Catholic boarding schools — Fort Augustus Abbey School and Carlekemp — since 2013. Alleged survivors of sexual abuse there have described a pedophile ring involving multiple monks. MacKenzie reportedly worked in both and has been named in the U.K. news stories.

-with files from Arthur White-Crummey

hpolischuk@postmedia.com

twitter.com/LPHeatherP

Posted in Accused or charged, Bishops, Canada, Scandal | Tagged , , , , , , | 1 Comment

“Unravelling church secrets – The Fifth Estate” & “Prey” a TVO documentary

Share Button

“Unravelling church secrets”   (The Fifth Estate)

from The Fifth Estate website

In an investigation into clergy abuse within the Roman Catholic Church in Canada, we follow abuse survivors on their quest for accountability. They are demanding that church officials reveal secret files — information on who the abusers are or were, who knew about it and what was done. In the United States, judicial investigations are exposing details of the church’s secret archives there. More than 6,700 credibly accused clergy members have been publicly identified. And yet in Canada victims say there is little information. Our investigation focuses on the diocese of Vancouver where the archbishop has vowed to be more open.

______________________________________

Prey (A TVO documentary)

from TVO website

TVO Original documentary Prey was honoured with two top awards at the 2019 Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival: the Rogers Audience Award for Best Canadian Documentary, and the DGC Special Jury Prize for Canadian Feature Documentary.

Prey is a moving and unflinching account of a of a sexual abuse survivor’s legal fight against the Catholic Church. Most civil court cases seeking damages due to sex abuse by the clergy are settled out of court and kept quiet. In Prey, Rod MacLeod, who as a boy was abused for years by a Catholic priest and teacher, chooses a public trial to shine a light on these cases.

The feature documentary, which will have its World Broadcast and Streaming Premiere on TVO and tvo.org later this fall, was directed by Matt Gallagher, produced by Cornelia Principe, and co-produced and edited by Nick Hector.

“We’ve commissioned many films over the years, but Prey was truly special,” says Linda Fong, Independent Production Officer for Documentaries at TVO. “The response from the Hot Docs audience was powerful and overwhelming.  Many were moved to tears when the survivors in the film stood up to a standing ovation. Their courage and grace were humbling, and it was a privilege for us to help bring this important story to audiences across the country.”

(The following is from TVO website but can be viewed only in Canada.  Click in the square lower (R) corner to enlarge  screen)

The following is from youtube and available to viewers in Canada, the USA, UK and, I believe, elsewhere:

Posted in Accused or charged, Bishops, Canada, Clerical sexual predators, Scandal | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Prey (the documentary)

Share Button

From TVO (TV Ontario) website. Unfortunately this can only viewed by those in Canada.

Posted in Accused or charged | Tagged | 4 Comments

Extraditions

Share Button

A priest and former Scottish Benedictine monk lost his fight against extradition from Australia to Scotland to face six men who allege he “engaged in acts of physical and sexual abuse” against them when they were between 11 and 15 years of age.  The allegations date to the early to mid 70s when Alexander was teaching at Fort Augustus Abbey School in Scotland.

According to media reports the priest has 28 days to appeal.   Will he appeal?   Does he have the monies to appeal?  I have no idea, however, for the sake of the complainants, I hope and pray he is right now regretting his decision to drag this on, packing his bags and preparing for the long flight to face his accusers.

07 November 2019:  “Monk accused of Scottish child abuse loses extradition appeal” & relates articles

Meanwhile here in Canada Father Robert Mackenzie,  one of Alexander’s former confreres,  is fighting his order of extradition.   MacKenzie, who is both a former student and teacher at Fort Augustus Abbey School, arrived in Regina Saskatchewan in 1988 and was incardinated into the Archdiocese of Regina in 1993.

Scottish authorities attained a surrender order from Canada’s Minister of Justice in March of this year.   MacKenzie appealed.  A  judicial review is scheduled for 04 December 2019

04 December 2019:  10 am, Appeal, Court of Appeal for Saskatchewan ( 2425 Victoria Avenue, Regina, Saskatchewan)

This will be open to the public.  I encourage those who can do so to attend to hear why Father MacKenzie believes he should not return to Scotland to face his accusers.

Please keep all those with allegations against these two former Benedictines in your prayers.

*****

I must say I commend Bishop Fabbro for attending:

07 November 2019:  “Bishop Fabbro attends opening of documentary Prey to support abuse survivors” & related articles

Good for you Patrick for asking the bishop to attend, and, truly, good for the bishop for attending.  Change has to start somewhere.

Enough for now,

Sylvia

Posted in Accused or charged, Bishops, Canada, Clerical sexual predators, Scandal | Tagged , , , , , | 2 Comments

Basilian Fathers lose appeal

Share Button

The Basilians of Toronto lost their appeal of the jury decisions re punitive damages and economic damages in the Rod MacLeod /Hod  Marshall sex abuse trial

25 October 2019:     MacLeod v Marshall (Ontario Court of  Appeal)

25 October 2019:  “Basilian Fathers lose appeal in sexual abuse case (updated)” & related article

You may recall that in May of 2018  the Basilians put out the following a statement regarding their decision to appeal:

22 May 2018:  Latest Media Statement from the Basilian Fathers

Note that the “Media Spokesperson” for the Basilian Fathers at the time was the since thoroughly and very publicly disgraced serial plagiarist Father Thomas Rosica csb.  How far the ‘mighty’ can fall in a matter of a mere 17 months .

Another few modicums of justice.

Please keep Rod MacLeod and the many many victims of Hod Marshall in your prayers.  .

Enough for now,

Sylvia

Posted in Accused or charged, Basilians, Canada, Clerical sexual predators, Scandal | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Chaldeon priest who made a “mistake” off to prison

Share Button

It is confirmed: the trial of Monsignor James Patrick Robertson will continue in December:

06 December 2019: continuation of trial, 09:30 am, Corner Brook Courthouse (82 Mt. Bernard Avenue)

Please keep the complainant in your prayers.

*****

Father Amer Saka, a Chaldean priest serving in the Diocese of London, Ontario, has been sentenced to two years in prison for fraud of more than $900,000.  Saka gambled funds intended to support refugees arriving in Canada.

22 October 2019:  “Former Ontario priest gets 2-year sentence for gambling $1M meant for refugees” & related articles

 According to his defence lawyer Iryna Revutsky Father Saka suffered from a “pathological gambling addiction.”  Revutsky, who was pleased with judgment,  said:  “my client was fundamentally and is fundamentally a very, very good man who made a mistake.”

A “mistake.”

Indeed!!

Enough for now,

Sylvia

Posted in Clerical sexual predators | 1 Comment

Monsignor’s trial continues in December

Share Button

As mentioned before, Father Cecil Noronha has entered into a peace bond and the three charges against him were withdrawn.

I have not been able to get a copy of the peace bond but did find out what the conditions are.  Among other things, the peace bond, which lasts for one year,  stipulates that Father Noronha is not to be within 25 metres of the home of female (probably the complainant?), nor within 25 metres of where the female lives, works, goes to school, goes to church or anywhere where where the female should be known to be.

Those who live in Sudbury area should be able to get a copy of the peace bond at the court house.  It is a public document.

And here is information regarding peace bonds in Ontario:

Information regarding Peace Bonds in Ontario

Please keep the complainant in your prayers.

*****

I have heard from a reliable source that the trial of Monsignor James (Jim) Robertson did not wrap up in the allotted two days (17 & 18 October) and is scheduled to continue 06 December 2019.  I will check tomorrow to confirm

Please keep the complainant in your prayers.

*****

More information on the trial related to clerical sexual predator  Father Erlindo Molon:

18 October 2019:  “’Playboy’ priest moved to New York parishes, Canadian Forces job” & related article

Pathetic and disgusting!

And this from a bishop regarding giving warnings about a known clerical sexual predator:  “What am I supposed to do? …Warn every church in Canada and beyond?”

Well, actually,  yes.  As far as was/is humanly possible, yes.  Souls were at stake.

Please keep Rosemary Anderson in your prayers.  Ditto all those upon whom Molon got his preying hands while serving across Canada and the United States and wherever else he may have been.

Enough for now,

Sylvia

Posted in Accused or charged, Bishops, Canada, Clerical sexual predators, Scandal, Treatment centres, Trials | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Peace bond and withdrawal of charges for Father Noronha

Share Button

Father Cecil Noronha has signed a peace bond.  During a Friday, 11 October 2019 hearing “for resolution” all three charges against Father Cecil Noronha  were withdrawn and he entered into a peace bond.

I am currently awaiting a copy of the conditions attached to the peace bond and will post those as soon as they are available.  The charges which Father Noronha faced were:

(1)  Sexual Assault on a Person Under Sixteen Years of Age, contrary to section 271;

(2)  Sexual Interference, contrary to section 151; and

(3)  Uttering Threats – Cause Death or Bodily Harm, contrary to section 264.1(1)(a).

The Steps to Justice website provides a good recap on peace bonds and the process involved whereby a person facing criminal charges can enter into a peace bond.  Here is a link:

Information regarding Peace Bonds in Ontario

 Please keep the complainant in your prayers.

*****

A reminder that the assault trial of Father James Robertson of the Diocese of Corner Brook Newfoundland is scheduled for two days starting this Thursday:

TRIAL booked for 17& 18  October 2019, 09:30 am, Corner Brook Courthouse (82 Mt. Bernard Avenue)

I encourage those who can do so to attend.

Please keep the complainant in your prayers

Enough for now,

Sylvia

Posted in Clerical sexual predators | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

A few updates

Share Button

The next court date for Father Cecil Noronha is:

Friday, 11 October 2019:  09:30 am, “for resolution,”  Sudbury Courthouse (155 Elm St, Sudbury)

Please keep the complainants in your prayers.  I encourage those who can do so to attend to find out what is happening here.  I think it is highly possible that Father Noronha will be there this time.

Please keep the complainant in your prayers.

*****

The name of Father Robert J. Chisholm has been added to the Accused list.  I know nothing about the allegations here barring the little that is said in the statement put out by the archdiocese .  It sounds as though there  was a report of some sort filed somewhere in the mid 90s.   We have no idea what date whatever is alleged to have happened happened.  There is a reference to minors.  And, that’s it.

I found that he was listed as being at Camp Borden in the mid 80s.  It certainly looks as though he may have spent some time as a military chaplain?

*****

I have received word from a reliable source that Brother Lawrence Lambert fic, a Canadian-born Religious Brother with the Brothers of Christian Instruction who taught at the prestigious St. Mary’s International School in Japan,  died 08 June 2019.  He had been living at the the Mother House in La Prairie.  Please keep those who suffered at the hands of this man in your prayers.

*****

As of last week there was  no court date set  for Father Robert MacKenzie‘s planned  appeal of his extradition to Scotland.   I shall check again this week.  Please keep the complainants in Scotland in your prayers.

*****

A follow up to the recent scandal at the Basilian Toronto’s St. Michael’s College School scandal:

03 October 2019:  3 ex-students plead guilty to sex assault offences at St. Michael’s College School

Disgusting.

Enough for now,

Sylvia

Posted in Accused or charged, Basilians, Brothers of Christian Instruction, Canada, Clerical sexual predators, Scandal | Tagged , , , , , , | 1 Comment

More updates

Share Button

It’s taken a while but I have finally have the next court date for Father Cecil Noronha :

03 September 2019: 09:00 am, Assignment Court, Sudbury courthouse, 155 Elm St, Sudbury.

This is open to the public but Father Noronha does not need to and he probably will not be there, and besides, it will be over and done with in a matter of minutes: It is just a case of setting a court date.

This MAY well be for setting a trial date, but not necessarily. Regardless, there will be at least a few weeks before the next court date after Assignment Court.  I will find out and let you know.

Please keep the complainant in your prayers.

*****

The August court dates for ex=priest and convicted molester Barry McGrory were cancelled and rescheduled.  The judge apparently is sick.

So, for those who showed up at the Ottawa courthouse on Tuesday, there was nothing happening.  And, yes, tomorrow is cancelled as well.

And, to add ‘insult’ to injury,’  believe it or not, the next court date for McGrory is:

07 January 2020:  10 am, sentencing hearing, Ottawa courthouse (161 Elgin St.)

Yes.  You read it correctly.  January!!!!  2020!!!

This will be hard on the victims.   Please keep them in your prayers.

*****

Here are some updates on the Cardinal George Pell conviction and appeal:

25 August 2019:  “George Pell to take his case to the High Court” & related articles

I am truly amazed at how many people are convinced that Cardinal Pell is innocent, and how, even after all of these years of scandal, how very little people really know and understand about the horror and impact of clerical sexual abuse.

Enough for now,

Sylvia

Posted in Accused or charged, Bishops, Canada, Cardinal Pell, Clerical sexual predators, Scandal, Trials, Vatican | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment